The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/24/2024 5:29:57 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AGAINST ALL ODDS MESSAGE BOARD - Mohicans Version
 Any Other Military Encounters - 1492 - Present
 Indians and the Civil War!?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Lest we forget, - thank you!! ... Topic Next Topic: A late thanks to all veterans  

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - September 26 2007 :  8:30:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While working in the kitchen tonight I watched a History Channel show called Indian Warriors: Civil War. This was all news to me. I never even knew American Indians were involved in the Civil War. I always just assumed that the tribes in the east just stayed on their reservations (or wherever they had managed to hang onto land) and tried to avoid the whole thing. It was fascinating! Parts of it were also very sad. Why didn't I ever learn anything about this in my history classes? Is this common knowledge to you history buffs out there?
report to moderator

halfbreed
Pioneer

June 18 2006

Posted - September 26 2007 :  11:06:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
old sam watie and his boys made quite a mark for the rebels in the weatern theatre. a most intresting and well overlooked aspect of the ACW.
h-b
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 27 2007 :  09:51:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
William Holland Thomas raised a unit of Cherokee warriors in NC, known as Thomas' Legion.
http://www.bcooper.aaahosting.net/page18.html

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - September 27 2007 :  11:56:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I thought they had the common sense to stay well out of it. At least the smart ones did.

IG

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 27 2007 :  12:10:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Common sense? Stay out of it?
Thomas' Legion was formed to protect western North Carolina from the Union forces which were so prevalent in TN. It's not like these Cherokee soldiers fought on some faraway battlefield in Pennsylvania. No, they were mostly stationed in the mountian passes between NC and TN so they could protect their own land, their own people, from invaders. I don't really see how they could stay out of it, and common sense and bravery would dictate that they did the right thing, and successfully so.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 27 2007 :  12:21:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by winglo

While working in the kitchen tonight I watched a History Channel show called Indian Warriors: Civil War. This was all news to me... Is this common knowledge to you history buffs out there?

Well, I'm with you on this one. I don't recall ever reading or learning about Indians fighting in the CW. Interesting. I wish I had seen that show. I will have to look for a rerun.

Thanks, Winglo.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - September 27 2007 :  12:33:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Stephanie

Common sense? Stay out of it?
Thomas' Legion was formed to protect western North Carolina from the Union forces which were so prevalent in TN. It's not like these Cherokee soldiers fought on some faraway battlefield in Pennsylvania. No, they were mostly stationed in the mountian passes between NC and TN so they could protect their own land, their own people, from invaders. I don't really see how they could stay out of it, and common sense and bravery would dictate that they did the right thing, and successfully so.

Steph, just making a quick comment. I did not click on your link and read the article.

IG

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - September 27 2007 :  12:46:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I was able to watch this yesterday. Was very good and very informing. I thought I knew quite a bit about American Indian history but like you, Winglo, I was shocked to discover their involvement in this war. A must watch for history buffs!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

"Live well, love much, laugh often!"

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 27 2007 :  12:59:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah, I wish I had seen that program, too. If anyone sees any advertisements for re-runs, please post them here. I bet it would be of interest to a lot of people on this board.

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - September 27 2007 :  1:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Stephanie

Yeah, I wish I had seen that program, too. If anyone sees any advertisements for re-runs, please post them here. I bet it would be of interest to a lot of people on this board.

I just checked the TV schedule and it doesn't have another date or time. But I will keep checking for ya and post it.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

"Live well, love much, laugh often!"

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - September 28 2007 :  12:55:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It is an interesting topic and something you rarely hear about in history classes in HS. Shoot, our school made Pres. Jackson out to be a hero who est. civilized colonies by evicting "hostiles" out of the territory.

Then in Lit. class we got a freelance report, so I chose Jackson but decided to look up info from the eyes of the NA and learned that the man was liar and a cheat.

Digging further into it I researched any written works from frontiersmen to colonists and they all pretty much shared the same opinion.

So hearing this topic is left out of our school's agendas isn't too big of a surprise for me.

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - September 28 2007 :  01:50:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I first learned of Stand Waite in elementary school, but it wasn't at school! I read about him in a novel called "Rifles For Waite."

Bartek
Lost in the Wilderness

the bottle :-))))
Poland

May 18 2006

Posted - May 11 2008 :  6:01:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I found the information the Delaware Nation (i love them!) was all on the Union's site and Mississipi Rifle was their beloved weapon.

"Pole without horse is like body without soul" Russian proverb

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - May 11 2008 :  6:07:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello Bartek, - and welcome aboard. Hate to say it, but it's news to me too.

you can keep "The Change"
  Previous Topic: Lest we forget, - thank you!! ... Topic Next Topic: A late thanks to all veterans  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.33 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07