The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/3/2024 7:19:22 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICAN BOARD COURIER
 The New Deal!
 A Minor Hack Job!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Database Error -- A Second Try! Topic Next Topic: Latest Dispatch Bug Fix  

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - March 15 2008 :  10:17:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Could've been worse ... LOTS! ... and it has been a long, long time since we have been hacked, but it happened again this past Monday morning.

I checked the board to see a new post by Lainey, of all people. Only it wasn't Lainey ... Somebody hacked into her Administrative account and made a single post [advertising something or other] and disabled all log-in functions to the Board.

I was able to get in through the back-door, delete the post, change Lainey's password to something more sophisticated, and get it all up again rather quickly. Did anyone even notice?

Seems the hacker - as they often do - was just making a statement, "Hey, I can DO this!" But, we gotta fix it.

So, I'll be tinkering with adding an additional level of security to the passwords. Something called "Password Salting". Hopefully, you won't even notice anything different, but if anyone encounters difficulty - other than briefly as I am changing code - please let me know. Probably will get to it today and/or tomorrow.

If you have some ridiculously easy password, this might be a good time to change it, but that's up to you.

Sorry for any inconvenience!!

Rich
Mohican Press
report to moderator

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 15 2008 :  4:53:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich,
I saw it, but I thought that the server was acting up again. I saw Lainey's name, but when I clicked on it, it gave me some kind of message. I forget what it said now, but I had no idea that someone had hacked into the site. Some people just like to do stuff like that just because they can. Oh well, I doubt if you can ever make any website hacker-free.

Love,
Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end
As long as goodness exists
Winds shall always soothe

www.cloudsbooks.com

report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - March 15 2008 :  4:57:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, it's been a while since there's been a hack attack here hasn't it? So I guess it was inevitable. There is no site I visit that hasn't been hacked. My Myspace profile got hacked a while ago and I was suddenly sending everybody advertisements for ringtones, and I won't even talk about the hack jobs that used to happen when I worked at the newspaper. Hope this was the only one you'll have to deal with for a long time, Rich!

See this face? This is the face of a woman on the edge.
Whoopi Goldberg, "Jumping Jack Flash"

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - March 16 2008 :  07:25:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
A LONG while, Christina - yes.

A little snafu in my implementation of this code, so it may be next weekend before it is in place. Waiting for assistance from the techno-wizards!

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 17 2008 :  12:49:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Why do they bother disrupting our peaceful community?

Well, Rich, I'm sorry you had to deal with all of this.

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - March 19 2008 :  2:38:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Now that's just irritating. Why would someone go and do that?

Well, Rich, I haven't noticed anything but then again I haven't been around too much. So glad you found it and hope we can stop it from happening again.

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - March 23 2008 :  09:58:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Who knows, LOTM?

Anyway, the "salting" process is still in the "figuring out how to do it" stage, but I have tweaked the password requirements. This will not affect you UNLESS ... you are a new registrant OR if you attempt to edit/change your password.

Any troubles, let me know!

UPDATE --> All implemented! You ought not have any troubles. You won't even notice anything unless, as stated above, you are registering for the first time or are changing your password. Don't hesitate to contact me if you should encounter difficulties.

PS - FYI - "Salting" adds a random string to your password making it more difficult to guess. This will be applied the next time you log-in, but will not require any proactive behavior on your part. It should take care of itself.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 23 2008 :  1:10:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well done, O' King Computer Guru Sachem!

As for me, it would all be.....

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - March 30 2008 :  10:56:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's pretty much that way for me, too, WW - I use a lot of trial & error!!!

About the passwords things: A couple of you have reported that you cannot log in to your profile area. Sure enough. I checked myself and can't get in!!! . Known issue. Will be resolved ... after a few trials ... and ERRORS!!!!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - April 05 2008 :  11:42:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I still can't get into My Profile. Anyone else having this problem? Guess it is not fixed yet or is it just me?

IG

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - April 05 2008 :  10:54:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Irish, I was hoping to say "it's just you," but I can't get into my profile either. Maybe, "it's just us."

You know, when I originally saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought of Lizzie Borden!

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - April 06 2008 :  05:44:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Me, either, but I know me.

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - April 06 2008 :  10:16:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Obediah

You know, when I originally saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought of Lizzie Borden!

LOL good one Obes. You know I did a tour of the Borden house Summer of 2006 and it really felt creepy. Got a good shot of the guy on the sofa who plays her pa, laying down pretending to be dead. I am just fascinated by the story of Lizzie. Went to the graveyard to see her last resting place. Anyone else fascinated by this story?

She so did it.

IG

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - April 06 2008 :  11:02:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry guys ... I know it's not fixed yet. It will be, but it ain't easy.

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - April 07 2008 :  12:26:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Lizzie Borden took an axe,
And gave her mother 40 wacks,
And when she saw what she had done,
She gave her father 41!

One of my favorite songs of all time is that folk classic by the Chad Mitchell Trio, "Lizzie Borden."

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 07 2008 :  08:57:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Obi,
You wouldn't like it so much if Lizzie was your child.

Love,
Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end
As long as goodness exists
Winds shall always soothe

www.cloudsbooks.com

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - April 07 2008 :  09:00:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kaylynn44

Hey Obi,
You wouldn't like it so much if Lizzie was your child.

Or gave you 41 whacks

IG

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - April 07 2008 :  10:18:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's a good thing you're not my child, then!

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 08 2008 :  12:27:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, for some reason when I simply hit "Reply to Topic" it bounces back my response.
Now, I can though "Log In" and then respond to topics.

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - April 08 2008 :  11:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by caitlin

Well, for some reason when I simply hit "Reply to Topic" it bounces back my response.
Now, I can though "Log In" and then respond to topics.

That'll teach you to try playing with the Big Boys and Girls!

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - April 13 2008 :  10:24:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Status Quo ...

I tried valiantly, but in vain, yesterday to fix that Profile issue; all I did was succeed in locking EVERYONE [myself included] out of the forums completely! Yee-Haw!

So, right now, it's back to where it was before I started yesterday ... everything is fine, except the ability to log-in to your profile.

Sooner or later I'll have it fixed!!!!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - April 13 2008 :  1:41:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good luck with that Rich.

IG

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - April 14 2008 :  7:39:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Finally, success! Thanks to some help.

Those of you wanting to update your profile can now do so again, AND the site is more secure.

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - April 14 2008 :  7:43:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Huzzah!! Good job, Sachem....thanks for all your efforts, sweat, blood, tears, and loss of MORE hair. (I do know a peruke maker who can fix you up...)

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - April 14 2008 :  7:45:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Humphhhhhhhhhh!!! Now I can't remember what the "h_e_double hockey stick" I was going to do to my Profile.....)

Oh, well....it'll come to me sooner or later.

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - April 15 2008 :  10:21:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you!!!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

"Live well, love much, laugh often!"
  Previous Topic: Database Error -- A Second Try! Topic Next Topic: Latest Dispatch Bug Fix  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.38 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07