The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/19/2024 6:22:57 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The GREAT MOHICAN GATHERINGS
 Gathering Gossip & Ganders [?]
 Dispatch from the Frontier
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Gathering 2008 Summary Page UP! Topic Next Topic: Gathering poll: 2008 Gathering theme song
Page: of 2

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 19 2008 :  12:46:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 1 of Gathering 2008 can only be summed up in one word: WOW! What an incredible day! So many sights, impressions, memories, where to start?
How about first thing this morning... our visit to the movie scenes at Biltmore was great. Here is the group near the burial ground scene:

Image Insert:

71.58 KB

And in front of the bridge to "Albany":

Image Insert:

63.78 KB

Listening to our guide Patricia at "Albany":

Image Insert:

89.42 KB

Lori, Ariel, and Kyle at Biltmore House...what an amazing family!

Image Insert:

48.93 KB

Enjoying a wonderful dinner at Spirits on the River, where we were joined by Soldier #2:

Image Insert:

79.71 KB

And a Gathering Surprise!!!!!! We couldn't believe it when Dennis Banks (Ongewasgone, LOTM) arrived! We had heard he was in the area, but had no idea he would drop in to meet us. What a great surprise!! Mr. Banks was very gracious in sharing his memories of the filming and also talked about some current and upcoming projects. He took the time to speak with several of us and signed autographs, too!

Image Insert:

75.36 KB

So overall a very good start to the Gathering. Perfect weather, too: mid-70's and low humidity.
I really wish you all could be with us, but it's nice to know you are thinking of us and we are thinking of you too!
Tomorrow it's Chimney Rock and Manor Inn. Hopefully the courier will make it through tomorrow night with a dispatch.

Image Insert:

70.27 KB
report to moderator

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - June 19 2008 :  07:23:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
What a great start for this year's Gathering. Miss you guys!

Theresa
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - June 19 2008 :  09:05:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Great pics!! Thanks for sharing!!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

"Live well, love much, laugh often!"

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - June 19 2008 :  09:20:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes Steph thanks for the photos. Can't wait to see more.

IG

Little Lady of Fire
Colonial Militia

Hawkeye 3
USA

March 31 2007

Posted - June 19 2008 :  3:43:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Gorgeous photos. Looks like you guys are having fun.

There are easier things in life then trying to find a good guy..... Nailing jelly to a tree for example.

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 19 2008 :  11:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Theresa, we miss you too! We thought of so many of you today on the cliffs at Chimney Rock. There were times when I thought I'd look up and see Rich ahead of me on the trail, or a Sweetser sister, or Clabert, or Vince. Those of you who have Gathered before but not this time are definitely missed!
Here is part of our group at Chimney Rock:

Image Insert:

57.26 KB

Enjoying a picnic lunch at the top of the falls:

Image Insert:

75.8 KB

Soldier #2 demonstrates where he was cleaning his weapon outside Webb's Headquarters when Duncan's carriage pulls up. Yeah, the portico wasn't there in the movie.

Image Insert:

62.7 KB

Relaxing in Webb's headquarters:

Image Insert:

63.03 KB

And just when we thought it couldn't get any better:

Image Insert:

72.21 KB

Ok... what am I still doing up? I have to be up for sunrise. Good night!

Little Lady of Fire
Colonial Militia

Hawkeye 3
USA

March 31 2007

Posted - June 19 2008 :  11:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for the update Steph. Better get some sleep there girl. Tomorrow is sunrise isn't it. *goes to check program guide* Yup that was the activity I was just about guaranteed to miss.

There are easier things in life then trying to find a good guy..... Nailing jelly to a tree for example.

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - June 20 2008 :  07:11:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wow! Soldier #2...you look mah-valeous! I'm putting on one of my Gathering T-shirts right now...maybe it'll help me feel like I'm there a little bit. Steph...I'd love to come up in the fall and do a non-Gathering. If Claude and I can muster up the funds, *see gas prices*, we may do that. Y'all have fun!

Theresa

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - June 20 2008 :  08:42:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Looked like a gorgeous day up there on them falls!! Wow, how pretty! You guys are making me so jealous!! Thanks for sharing the pics!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

"Live well, love much, laugh often!"

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 20 2008 :  11:38:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Theresa, YES, do come up in the fall, just let me know. I bet Diana would come meet up with us, don't you?
Ok... been gone since 3am and just now getting in, so here are just a few quick pics of today:

Sunrise... barely made it via the detour but here it is:

Image Insert:

63.72 KB

Image Insert:

86.54 KB

On the trail to the Top of the World:
Image Insert:

83.79 KB

Once, we were here:

Image Insert:

63.56 KB

Soldier #2 explains the Magua ambush tree location:

Image Insert:

88.54 KB

...and the lake and fort scenes:

Image Insert:

67.96 KB

Yep, he talked until dark! Thank you Soldier #2! And thanks to all those who hung in there for the whole grueling but fun day. Tomorrow it's Dupont then Blue Ridge Motion Pictures Studio, and maybe a surprise? Stay tuned...

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 23 2008 :  08:17:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ok, apparently there are still problems with the board and some messages disappeared. I will re-post the pics from Saturday and hopefully Jayne will re-post hers as well.

Ariel enjoying Bridal Veil Falls:
Image Insert:

87.71 KB

Relaxing at dinner between the movie studio tour and the screening:
Image Insert:

46.84 KB

What's this? A Gathering first! Soldiers #1 and 2 together again. Thank you Curtis Gaston for dropping by for a visit!
Image Insert:

50.29 KB

We were souljers:
Image Insert:

59.24 KB

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - June 23 2008 :  08:28:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Stephanie! These are great pictures. We are expecting a little granddaughter in September and when things settle down a bit from that, we might consider getting there. Claude has several vacation days and we love those mountains, especially in the fall. If it works out, I'll definitely let you know. Glad you guys had a Great Gathering!

Theresa

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 23 2008 :  08:42:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
How exciting, Theresa! I know you can't wait for her to get here. We missed you a lot during the Gathering. Do let me know if you can make it up here for a mini-Gathering.
Ok, here are a few shots from Sunday:

Tracking the war party in Pisgah National Forest:
Image Insert:

58.63 KB

Fitz, Robbie, April, Conrad, and Michael in period clothing:
Image Insert:

60.16 KB

Nancy buys raffle tickets from Kay:

Image Insert:

71.72 KB

Kyle takes a shot:

Image Insert:

56.94 KB

Conrad gets ready to fire:

Image Insert:

57.42 KB

Ariel's Auction coordinator Patrick with assistant Tammy and Ariel:
Image Insert:

49.55 KB

Tired at the end of the day, Ariel takes a nap while Matthew holds her:

Image Insert:

73.81 KB

I'm sure more pics will be posted soon... there were lots of cameras flashing during this Gathering! Thanks to everyone who made it great, all who helped, all who showed up, and especially our special guests Dennis Banks, Lori, Kyle, & Ariel Boutette, Curtis Gaston, and Eric Hurley.
I'll try to work on a Gathering Gallery page with Rich once I get more pictures ready.

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 23 2008 :  9:08:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
One more pic I should post. Kay presented me with a little gift that was so perfect. Years ago I somehow acquired the nickname "Smurf" and it stuck with me for a long time. Now, only a few people call me that but I chose it as my avatar on this board. So, after many long tiring days of hiking (in a red shirt I might add), I was given this Hiker Smurf by Kay:

Image Insert:

15.32 KB

Kay, thank you for the good laugh! Now, if I can only figure out how to make it my avatar.

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 23 2008 :  10:22:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It may be hard to hold on to my Gadget Girl moniker as Elizabeth and I just know we will be remembered as the Last of the Mohikers!

Aww Steph, you will always be - affectionately known as - Smurf to us!

Dances with Beagles
Colonial Settler

USA

May 19 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 25 2008 :  12:34:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Speaking of Smurf....she obtained this photo from the housing development that is now at one of the film locations....!

Image Insert:

18.78 KB

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 25 2008 :  06:24:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh my goodness!!! I know that they didn't actually name it Massacre Valley!!! Nope, wouldn't live there!!! Too many looneys in this world!!!

Love,
Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end
As long as goodness exists
Winds shall always soothe

www.cloudsbooks.com

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 25 2008 :  06:33:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Steph,
The only difference between the hiker smurf and you is that I never saw you sweat and you hiked more than anybody in the group!!! I am glad that you like it. I just wish that I could do more to let you know how much you are loved and appreciated!!!

Love,
Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 25 2008 :  08:01:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Disclaimer: the Massacre Valley sign is fake!!! I made it using an online sign generator. Someone during the Gathering mentioned that they thought the Massacre Valley area either had become or would soon become a housing development, and Nancy commented that she hoped they changed the name of it first. It just struck me funny and I could just imagine the sign... and was able to create one online. Yeah, pretty sick sense of humor.

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 25 2008 :  08:26:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, you definitely had me fooled!!! I was thinking, 'Who in the world is dumb enough to actually name a housing development, Massacre Valley???" Good one Steph, and we love you, warped sense of humor and all!!!

Love,
Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 25 2008 :  08:36:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks, Kay! I love you too! I was telling your son how much I still love that necklace you made for me by special order a few years ago. I wear it a LOT, and always think of you when I put it on. I love the necklace itself, but the fact that you made it makes it even more special.

Dances with Beagles
Colonial Settler

USA

May 19 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 25 2008 :  9:27:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kaylynn44

Oh my goodness!!! I know that they didn't actually name it Massacre Valley!!! Nope, wouldn't live there!!! Too many looneys in this world!!!

Love,
Kay

Sorry Kay, I didn't mean to freak you out with that! I just thought that it was very clever of Stephanie to make the sign....someone said that there was a housing development where Massacre Valley had been filmed, and the joke evolved.... we joked that the development was down the road from Huron Village. Stephanie said she'd live on George Road. I wanted the "Cameron's Cabin" model home......and so on....!

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - June 25 2008 :  10:46:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Is there a donut shop in the neighborhood?

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 26 2008 :  11:11:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry Kay, I didn't mean to freak you out with that! I just thought that it was very clever of Stephanie to make the sign....someone said that there was a housing development where Massacre Valley had been filmed, and the joke evolved.... we joked that the development was down the road from Huron Village. Stephanie said she'd live on George Road. I wanted the "Cameron's Cabin" model home......and so on....!

You can see how gullible I am!!! I am surprised that my son didn't know that it was a fake though because he claims he can tell if anything has been tampered with. His excuse would be that he only glanced at it and he was trying to get ready for work.
Nancy, I have your bracelet fixed. I just need to get it in the mail. I will try to do that either today or tomorrow.
Steph, I am glad that you still wear your necklace. It was fun to make it, but I have been so busy with work, I haven't done anything lately,
except for a few bracelets that I made for the raffle.
I keep coming back to this thread so that I can look at the pictures of all of the wonderful people that made up our Gathering this year and I just love the picture of Matthew and Ariel. It is my very favorite!!!

Love,
Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

vincent
Pioneer

Calvin
USA

May 20 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 26 2008 :  5:22:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wow! Did I miss out on many new Gathering events or what ?!? Good to see many familiar faces as well as some new. Guess I will be listening to the LOTM soundtrack on my iPod. Looking forward to 2010...

Dances with Beagles
Colonial Settler

USA

May 19 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 26 2008 :  11:12:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Stephanie

...............Yeah, pretty sick sense of humor.

True, but I like that in a person!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Gathering 2008 Summary Page UP! Topic Next Topic: Gathering poll: 2008 Gathering theme song  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.52 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07