The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/3/2024 7:29:21 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICAN BOARD COURIER
 The New Deal!
 A Not-so-Minor Hack Job!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Windows Users ... Especially Windows 7 Topic Next Topic: Private Messages Security  

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - June 29 2008 :  07:31:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh Lordy ...

Site was hacked yet again ... Friday, I believe ... this time around, it was more serious. The database was actually infected with a virus, via a SQL injection. At one point, I had to close the board to avoid any one else getting infected. It sucked, pretty much.

At this time, the database has been fully cleansed and the board is fully functional, and safe to use, once again. Some longer posts may have been truncated, in the process. This is a bit over my head, and I am not certain that it won't happen again, so keep an eye out.

Things I noticed this time:

1 - Board Banner was gone
2 - Smile icons were gone
3 - Weird links were showing up in each individual forum's title on the default [main] page

I am working to close any holes, but it will take some time and is not easy. I need a REAL guru!!!

Sorry, guys & gals. I hope no one was adversely affected!
report to moderator

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 29 2008 :  08:55:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry you are having to deal with this, Rich. I don't know why people would do something like that to this site. Thanks for all you do!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - June 29 2008 :  08:58:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well it makes sense now. A couple of times my anti-virus alerted me of a virus when I signed on here but it cleaned it for me and as far as I can tell I've had no problems. Thanks, Rich. You work so hard at keeping us all safe here on the frontier.

Theresa

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 29 2008 :  09:06:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich,
I tried to get to the board a few times, but I kept getting an error message, so I did a search and was able to get on that way. Well, I don't know if the fact that I actually was able to get to the site was the reason for my email problems or not, but when I would go to mine, or Michael's, or Bill's email, I couldn't view the emails. They were all blank. I use Firefox and I thought that something must have been wrong with either Yahoo or Firefox, but I could go on our other computer and it was just fine. When Michael got home, I told him about it. He just had to download some kind of plugin. Like I said, it might not have had anything to do with it, but it was weird that after I was able to access the site, my email program went haywire. Next time that you have it closed down, I am staying away until you get it fixed!!!

Love,
Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end
As long as goodness exists
Winds shall always soothe

www.cloudsbooks.com

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 29 2008 :  09:09:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well it makes sense now. A couple of times my anti-virus alerted me of a virus when I signed on here but it cleaned it for me and as far as I can tell I've had no problems. Thanks, Rich. You work so hard at keeping us all safe here on the frontier.

Well, if we would go ahead and install the anti-virus that we bought a couple of weeks ago, maybe I would have been warned too. I am going to get Michael to do that today!!!

Love,
Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - June 29 2008 :  10:31:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
There's always some moron with a shoe size that's larger than is IQ, - with too much time on his hands. Hopefully, he OD,s on something.

you can keep "The Change"

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - June 29 2008 :  2:27:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks Rich for taking the time to fix the problem! I thought there was something wrong the other day when I logged on. None of the pics or icons were showing up. I had no problems but was warned by my computer police of a possible virus. Glad things are running smoothly again!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

"Live well, love much, laugh often!"

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - June 29 2008 :  2:39:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kaylynn44

Well, if we would go ahead and install the anti-virus that we bought a couple of weeks ago, maybe I would have been warned too. I am going to get Michael to do that today!!!

Love,
Kay

Kay, you are about to be SCOLDED!!!!!! Nobody should be on the Internet without a good anti-virus and firewall continuously kept UPDATED. Bad girl!!! Playing with fire!

Dealing with these hacks is a true cause of a pain in my rear. We have had a very long lull. Back in the day, this site was hacked routinely. We got a lot more secure, and they stopped. But, always there is something new.

They'll be back!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - June 29 2008 :  4:59:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm sure they will be back but I hope they do not cause too much damage. They need to go get jobs and occupy themselves in some other way. What demented pleasure do they get from hacking a site and messing with it?.

Good luck Rich and sorry for all the problems they are causing you.

IG

Little Lady of Fire
Colonial Militia

Hawkeye 3
USA

March 31 2007

Posted - June 29 2008 :  7:31:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Same thing here. Got several pop-ups from my Norton's saying a virus had been caught. Thought it was odd. Thanks Rich for spending all that time fixing the boards.

There are easier things in life then trying to find a good guy..... Nailing jelly to a tree for example.

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 29 2008 :  8:14:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Kay, you are about to be SCOLDED!!!!!! Nobody should be on the Internet without a good anti-virus and firewall continuously kept UPDATED. Bad girl!!! Playing with fire!

Rich,
Please don't scold me because I will cry. No, I really know better, but I got the laptop right before we left for Asheville, and I just haven't thought about it since we have been back, but it is installed now. That taught me a lesson. I just don't think about mean spirited people out there just wanting to do as much destruction as they can. It just doesn't make any sense to me, but you have all kinds. I'm just glad that I know the good people out there on the internet!!!

Love,
Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

Jayne
Overseer of Ariel's Auction

Oak Leaf

May 23 2002

Posted - July 01 2008 :  11:45:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich,

You're right - every Gathering seems like something happens around here

Sorry for the hassles you've had to endure!

Jayne

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - July 02 2008 :  09:48:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm lucky this time, I guess -- I had no viruses (viri?) from this.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - February 19 2011 :  10:45:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This is an older thread, and it seems to me I mentioned this before, but for the life of me, I can't find it. If memory serves me correctly, this hack was a hum-dinger - the fix involved running a script to cleanse the damage; the negative effect of that - unavoidable, btw - was that it truncated the longer posts found here on the board ... in the fan fiction, chronicles, weekly update forums - but any long post really. I was reminded of the damage while reading through the Sophia Story thread .... Very glad I had printed that out long ago so that I can give it to Sophia one day.

Anyway, if ever you find yourself reading a long post and it seems to end abrubtly, that is the reason.

Damn Hackers!!!!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 19 2011 :  5:22:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I, too, am glad you printed it, Rich. That was a scary and wonderfully uplifting time. I haven't looked, but I suppose my long thread about my late husband's illness is chopped off, too. Yes...damn hackers. Find something more constructive to do!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - February 19 2011 :  6:26:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Emotional 10 year olds, ....

you can keep "The Change"
  Previous Topic: Windows Users ... Especially Windows 7 Topic Next Topic: Private Messages Security  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.3 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07