The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/25/2024 5:53:32 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The GREAT MOHICAN GATHERINGS
 Gathering Gossip & Ganders [?]
 The truth about the Gathering Car Flags... Revealed!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Wedding Bells? Topic Next Topic: Gathering 2008 Summary Page UP!  

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 02 2008 :  8:50:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Attention Jayne! You are SO busted! I found out where you *really* got the Gathering car flags. I spotted some of the baby car flags growing in the wild at Dupont:

Image Insert:

56.63KB

And all this time I thought you MADE them!
report to moderator

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 03 2008 :  10:13:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's it, she is BANNED!!!!! [Not!]
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 03 2008 :  10:34:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've heard of "green thumbs," but "red thumbs?

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 03 2008 :  10:51:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That Jayne! She's a sneaky rascal!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 03 2008 :  11:24:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
A-w-w-w-w-w..... and they are such cute little baby flags, too! How could you have resisted picking one up to hold, Stephie??

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Diane B.
Colonial Militia

Dream Catcher 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - August 03 2008 :  12:19:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Reminds me of the flags we used in the field when I was a volunteer with ODU's canebrake rattlesnake project...those were such fun times!

Rattlesnake Woman

"The earth does not belong to us; we belong to the earth." - Chief Seattle

Jayne
Overseer of Ariel's Auction

Oak Leaf

May 23 2002

Posted - August 03 2008 :  2:53:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
DAM_ ... DAM_ ...

You found me OUT! Well, thanks Stephanie. Now I'm sure to be arrested for digging up rare and endangered species!!

I've nurtured those babies for 2 years now. Miracle Grow truly is miraculous, eh??

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 04 2008 :  7:34:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Did someone say rattlesnake?

Diane B.
Colonial Militia

Dream Catcher 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - August 04 2008 :  8:57:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Did someone say rattlesnake?

Yep - that would be me, Steph! Haven't you ever noticed my signature at the end of my posts? It's Rattlenake Woman - a name that I earned while working on that canebrake rattlesnake project - and I answer to it proudly!

Rattlesnake Woman

"The earth does not belong to us; we belong to the earth." - Chief Seattle

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 04 2008 :  9:20:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yep I've noticed "Rattlesnake Woman" before but didn't know about the project. Can you tell us about it?

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 05 2008 :  01:15:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
While not rattlesnakes, here are a couple of pics of our little friends from the Gathering.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 05 2008 :  11:38:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
~ shudder ~ I could have gone all day without seeing those, Fitz. Let's go back to the cute little baby Car Flags!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - August 05 2008 :  1:28:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've seen that same kind of snake when I was hiking near a creek here in NC once before. My dog was moseying along beside me in her usual beagle "must sniff everything" mode when she stopped to give special attention to something that must have smelled really curious. I didn't think anything of it, and was just turning to give her leash a little tug when I saw that she had her nose right on a big, fat coiled-up snake.

I freaked out and dragged poor Molly away, and she looked at me like, "What's the deal? It's a cool smell!" The snake just stayed as it was like it didn't even care. I guess we were lucky it was a chilly day and the snake was feeling more than a little sluggish. It's not a poisonous variety---at least I don't think---but they can be nasty all the same. Now I make sure to scope out everything on both sides of the path before I let my dog trot along, sniffing to her heart's content!

Karen W
Colonial Settler

Hair Feathers
USA

June 04 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 05 2008 :  8:32:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Boy Jayne, you sure had me fooled. Here I was going around and telling everyone how hard you worked on those flags. Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky!

Jayne

Oak Leaf

May 23 2002

Posted - August 06 2008 :  11:50:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
We have rattlesnakes here, too. I remember back in my youthful days hiking in the hills of southern IN during scout camp (back when killing a snake was the cool thing to do). We nearly tripped on a huge rattler that was stretched out over the path. Our counselor smacked it over the head with a piece of wood - unfortunately it was partially rotten! Which served to make the snake coil with fury! She grabbed another piece of much-sturdier wood, hit the snake again which stunned it long enough for her to swiftly behead the poor thing! I had it in my mind that I'd take a piece back to the camp cook to see if she would fix it for dinner. Alas...it was too hot and at the beginning of a 20-mile hike. Had to throw it out before we made it back to camp. But I'm sure the counselor prized the skin for a hat band or belt...

Don't worry, Rattlesnake Woman!! I wouldn't advocate killing a rattlesnake. I'm sure we could have made a safe exit from the situation, especially since the snake was minding its own business and taking a lazy siesta! And...I've never tasted rattlesnake to this day!

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 06 2008 :  8:06:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jayne
And...I've never tasted rattlesnake to this day!

You missed your chance! They serve it at SOTR.

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - August 06 2008 :  11:19:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzhugh Williams

quote:
Originally posted by Jayne
And...I've never tasted rattlesnake to this day!

You missed your chance! They serve it at SOTR.

Let me guess. It tastes like chicken.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 07 2008 :  09:05:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by RedFraggle
Let me guess. It tastes like chicken.

Don't know. I don't eat chicken. But it is not as good as alligator.

Jayne

Oak Leaf

May 23 2002

Posted - August 07 2008 :  11:06:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's ok, Fitz! I was quite happy with the quail!

Jayne
  Previous Topic: Wedding Bells? Topic Next Topic: Gathering 2008 Summary Page UP!  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.45 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07