The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/3/2024 12:40:45 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICAN BOARD COURIER
 The New Deal!
 New Icons!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Chat Room Issues? Topic Next Topic: Private Messages Misuse  

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 08 2008 :  06:32:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you all noticed the neat little icons that have been appearing in the address bar when you go to various pages on this website? Rich is having just way too much fun with this!

The original sunrise was nice, now we have Nathaniel on the Home page. And is that Bumppo's Tavern I see on the Board pages now? Very cool!

Btw Rich, I created an icon at the site you gave me, and am still waiting for it to appear on my website. Hope I did it right!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - August 08 2008 :  06:58:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, - where's the link to your website?

you can keep "The Change"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 08 2008 :  09:21:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's the one I take care of for my living history group out of Newtown Battlefield State Park. I think you have seen it before, MG. But, here it is again: www.chemungvalley.org

I created an icon that is the miniature version of Sullivan's Monument. But, I don't think I linked it right, or something. It is not appearing as it should.

Hmmmm.... back to the drawing board.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 08 2008 :  10:32:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Joyce!

Just visited your site, and indeed the image is not showing. I checked it in both Firefox 3 and IE 7. Nada.

With mine, the board icon works fine, but the main site one only shows on Firefox. You use IE, right? And yet it shows? Weird!

Anyway, be sure you exactly follow the directions on the link I sent you. The file, favicon.ico, that is created must be placed in your ROOT directory, NOT in an image directory. UNLESS, of course, you change the code.

Example: You could change <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico"> to <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/images/favicon.ico"> if you want the favicon.ico in the images [or whatever] folder.

Also, the above code has to be in the header area of your HTML. Switch to code view in Front Page to place it.

Hope that helps.

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - August 08 2008 :  12:00:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

Have you all noticed the neat little icons that have been appearing in the address bar when you go to various pages on this website?

I was actually going to start a thread to comment on them. (Great minds think alike, I guess. )

In my "Favorites" bar there used to be a mini-version of the homepage, but now there's a tiny DDL. Very cute! And I can see the tavern in the address bar at the top of the page as I'm writing this post. You must be having too much fun with it, Rich!

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 08 2008 :  12:20:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have been fooling with these on a site of mine. The code has to be on each page linking to the favicon in the root directory. I have one problem, though. I bought the name for the site, scrangers.org, and redirected it to my server space (which is under a different name). The favicon won't show on the redirected page. Now if you right click and choose show only this page (I use forms) then the favicon will show, but the name in the URL with be that of the server space I own.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 08 2008 :  12:40:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by richfed

With mine, the board icon works fine, but the main site one only shows on Firefox. You use IE, right? And yet it shows? Weird!

I use Firefox at home and IE at work. At home, with Firefox, I can see both icons just fine. Here at work, with IE, I can see Nathaniel on your main site home page, but no tavern on the board pages. Very strange!

quote:
Anyway, be sure you exactly follow the directions on the link I sent you. The file, favicon.ico, that is created must be placed in your ROOT directory, NOT in an image directory. UNLESS, of course, you change the code.

Example: You could change <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico"> to <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/images/favicon.ico"> if you want the favicon.ico in the images [or whatever] folder.

That is my problem, then. I couldn't get the icon I created to paste into the root directory, but could into my image folder. So the path doesn't point to the right place. I will try going in and changing that. Or... how can I get the image to upload to my root directory? Is there a way other than to copy and paste?

quote:
Also, the above code has to be in the header area of your HTML. Switch to code view in Front Page to place it.

I did finally manage to do that. Every time I tried to paste the code into it, FrontPage added some other things to it which made it not work. Finally, I hand-typed the code so that it matched exactly, and it worked.

Each page, eh? Hmmmm.... not sure I am up to that just yet.

As you see, I am not a Teckie! This whole webmaster thing has been very much a learn-as-you-try-it process. I also take care of the website of the agency I work for. www.avreus.org Thank goodness for FrontPage, which does much of the work for me!

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - August 08 2008 :  4:27:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ahhh yes Joyce, - I do remember that site, excellent - some good reading. ;)

you can keep "The Change"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 08 2008 :  6:22:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, I thought you would remember it, MG. Thanks!

HUZZAH!!! It worked! I followed your suggestion, Rich, and changed the path, and... Voila! My little favicon now shows when on the Home Page.

Now, I just need to type in the code for a-a-a-a-a-l-l-l of the other pages.

[WW walks off muttering under her breath, "Sheesh.... what a lot of work for a stupid little icon."]

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 09 2008 :  10:52:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yep, me sees it!!! Very nice looking, too, I might add!

PS - As to your mutterings, webmasters are weird.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 09 2008 :  1:44:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Is that why you are willing to sit hunched over your keyboard, red-rimmed eyes peering at your monitor for hours on end?

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 09 2008 :  6:47:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No, as a webmaster myself, I can say that the whole webmaster thing is really a power trip. You know, the fame, celebrity, constant attention, hot chicks, lifestyle, etc. There are times when I long for the simple life again, but I guess someone has to do it.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 10 2008 :  10:16:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have no idea what you all are talking about, BUT I know Fitz is a nut!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - August 25 2008 :  1:35:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm with you GG. I've been away for a while trying to sort things out. But thankfully Fitz hasn't changed!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 26 2008 :  11:24:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
She's back! Woohoo! The mudpit princess has returned!

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 30 2008 :  11:11:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello, Gretta, and welcome back!! We can use you around here! Beautiful new photo I see you've posted, too .... Get yerself sorted out and show yourself more ofte!!
  Previous Topic: Chat Room Issues? Topic Next Topic: Private Messages Misuse  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.31 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07