The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/30/2024 12:44:58 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Into The Wilderness ...
 The Fall season
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Thoreaus Walden Pond Topic Next Topic: Calling All Wilderness Women!  

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - October 08 2008 :  2:24:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I thought I would share the beautiful fall leaves that my mother sent me this morning through e-mail. One of the welcomed sites of the approaching fall season. I'm sure the folks in the upper Northeast are seeing plenty of this right now. Down south here in NC, some of the trees are finally starting to turn. But very dull orange, brown, and red colors, not like it is up North. So please feel free to share you're colorful pics of you're backyard or community scenery with everyone. Here's two of Southwestern PA:

Image Insert:

59.56 KB

Image Insert:

56.62 KB

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

"Live well, love much, laugh often!"
report to moderator

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - October 08 2008 :  5:05:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Don't have any pics to share - but it's almost peak here, another week at the most, as always beautiful!! Impossible to get tired of it, - some areas are true postcards.

you can keep "The Change"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 09 2008 :  09:29:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No pics yet for me, either, but we are a bit away from peak.

I love looking at the hill across the Chenango River from my house. It's one of those hills that The Artist planted with a precise hand -- every tree placed just so, with His wonderful eye for color that creates a perfect painting infused with reds, oranges, golds and yellows. Lovely.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - October 09 2008 :  1:00:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
And a wonderful Artist He is indeed!! Here's two more I got this morning.

Image Insert:

65.2 KB

Image Insert:

88.87 KB

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

"Live well, love much, laugh often!"

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 09 2008 :  2:13:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting such beautiful Fall pics Blackie

IG

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - November 06 2008 :  10:34:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Claude and I took a drive through the Talladega National Forest today. Here are a few pics.

Image Insert:

36.46 KB

Image Insert:

73.61 KB

Image Insert:

78.15 KB

Theresa

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - November 10 2011 :  5:52:07 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'd like to ressurect this thread because Fall is visually my favorite season! This summer here in Texas with its record-breaking heat bodes ill for any fall color, so I've just returned from my favorite places to look for it, northern Arkansas. I'm within a day's drive and can usually count on good results the last week or so of October or the first of November. Everyone I talked to said this year was disappointing due to too much heat, too little rain, and early wind; it's still better than anything I'm likely to see here in Texas, though!

Image Insert:

89.96 KB

Image Insert:

72.59 KB

Image Insert:

77.87 KB

Image Insert:

67.86 KB

On a historical note, the northwest corner of Arkansas prior to statehood in 1836 was an area largely settled by Cherokee who had already left their eastern homeland before the forced removal. The "inventor" of the Cherokee alphabet, Sequoyah, was one of them. After statehood, they too were forced out of the new state, across the line into Indian Territory ( Oklahoma ). It was also a battleground during the Civil War with major battles taking place at Pea Ridge ( Elkhorn Tavern ) and Prairie Grove.

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - November 10 2011 :  7:00:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Can't post any pictures, - but we had some great color here this year, not exactly unusual. Of course it's now WAY past peak, and most trees are bare.

lane batot
Colonial Settler

USA

October 15 2011

Posted - November 15 2011 :  12:07:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
We have had a SPLENDID Autumn here in central N. C. this year; the leaves are just now past peak. I well remember how the leaf peak USED to be in mid October when I was growing up. I tell that to the young, Global-Warming-doubting-whippersnappers, and they don't believe me. But the peak is fully a month later these days. Whatever, we had nice cool temps, and the leaves blazed brilliantly, even if it was later than in the "good old days"! I never have understood those statistics that claim Autumn sees an increase in human depression and suicides--must be an urban human thing! The cool temps after a sweltering summer, the retreat of insect pests and parasites, the beautiful leaves and intensely blue skies--how is any of that depressing? I look SO forward to Fall every year. My only criticism of the season is that it doesn't last nearly long enough!

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - November 15 2011 :  12:54:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"My only criticism of the season is that it doesn't last nearly long enough!"
Bingo, - have about eight months of fall, three of winter and one of spring. - Skip the summers completely, ...

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - November 19 2011 :  8:06:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Fall may be cool, bug-free and somewhat beautiful, but I dislike it because I know what's coming next: winter. I am a runner and the amount of time required to get ready to go out and run in the winter, (and even now with the cool fall mornings) just goes on and on...what with the layers, the gloves, the ear muffs, etc, etc, etc. Give me a nice, summer morning when I can just throw on the shorts, shirt and shoes anyday!

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - November 19 2011 :  8:31:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Obviously you don't snowshoe (or ski). - Give it some thought, - makes winter something to look forward to, aside from a nice fire. ... ;)

lane batot
Colonial Settler

USA

October 15 2011

Posted - November 20 2011 :  08:55:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
...or get SLED DOGS! Their love and enthusiasm for Winter just rubs off on you, and encourages you to get out and about and revel in the Winter weather when you otherwise might just stay huddled inside a warm house. But talk about lengthy preparations to go for a run! Harnessing up a team of unruly-chomping-at-the-bit-to-go dogs, hooking up and outfitting the sled or cart--it is a bit of a process! But it makes me love the cold weather! Also depends on exactly where you live, too, I'm sure. Here in the South, the Winter is way more pleasant and great for outdoor activities than up North(for general, non-snow dependent activities)--I had friends in Minnesota on the Canadian border that said going to check their mail in the Winter was a potential life-threatening experience at times! I guess I love ALL the seasons where I live--though I love Fall and Winter, by their end, I'm ready to shed some clothes and bask in the newly strengthened sun, too! But where I live now(midstate N. C.--in the "Uwharrie Forest" region), during the summer I must go through just as lengthy preparations to take a run/hike in the woods around my home as you do, Winglo, for a run in the Winter! Mainly because of the insect pests/parasites! If I don't git TOTAL greased up, I WILL be eaten alive--mosquitoes, deer flies, horse flies, gnats, ticks(including zillions of tiny deer ticks that will swarm you en masse!), and the WORST of all CHIGGERS! I have NEVER seen chiggers like here in the Uwharries!!!! "Uwharrie" is an old Indian word whose original meaning has been lost, but I personally believe it meand "Chigger Hell"! One short walk in the woods with no form of protection, and they will eat you alive! MISERABLE! I used to live up in the Appalachians west of here, and NEVER had such problems with insect pests/parasites, running around in nothing but ragged shorts and tennis shoes all summer. When I moved to the Uwharries, I was apalled, and had to adapt, or become civilized and stay out of the woods--no way was the latter ever happening! And I didn't want to have to slather toxic repellent chemicals all over my body every day, either. So what to do? I began wondering what the heck the Indians who used to live here did(the now extinct Siouan-speaking Keeyauwees and Cheraws)--and all the early accounts mention how the Indians covered themselves with BEAR GREASE(which gave them a distinctive odor, too!). As I had no access to bear grease, I wondered if ANY type of grease or oil would do.....and it DOES! Baby oil, suntan oil, olive oil, and my favorite, peanut oil(because of it's thickness; though I cut it with cheaper baby oil to make it last longer) all work admirably--seems like all insects hate it and can't maneuver or bite you easily with it on, but you have to really grease up--I mean EVERY crevice! So it can be a lot of trouble getting prepped for the woods in the Summer down here! But if I get lazy and don't oil up good(as happens sometimes), boy do I end up regretting it! But the Fall and Winter frees me from all that! But I love Summer, too--when else(especially great on a stinking hot, humid day) can you find a nice, wild stretch of river, and wade, swim, and wallow along it's length all day, hanging out with the turtles and water snakes and beaver and otter, and muskrats, and the heat of the jungle summer actually feels good! And as long as you stay in the water a lot, you can forgo greasing up on those days......

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - November 20 2011 :  3:02:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Dunno what the Injuns around there did to ward of bugs etc, - but in this neck of the woods they rubbed deer urine on. Probably kept other Ijuns at bay also, ....

lane batot
Colonial Settler

USA

October 15 2011

Posted - November 20 2011 :  3:17:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey.....deer urine huh?.....I ain't tried that yit! I'll have to give it a go sometime! And why not dog urine--I got plenty access to that! But seriously--I also have begun mixing a "tea" I make by boiling Jewelweed--which the Indians used as an anti-itch medicine(for poison ivy, insect bites, stinging nettle, etc.)--and that stuff REALLY works for itching/rash ailments! I don't get poison ivy(I can wallow in the stuff and not get it!)--I think I built up some sort of resistance to it over the years, but boy howdy, that stinging nettle is MISERABLE when you brush up against it--luckily, Jewelweed often grows right nearby stinging nettle, and it will soothe the sting INSTANTLY when rubbed on! So, with this in mind, I thought it perhaps might help the repellent properties of my anti-insect oil, which I think it has. I've had no ill effects from the concoction(so far) at least.......

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - November 23 2011 :  9:48:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Monadnock Guide

Obviously you don't snowshoe (or ski). - Give it some thought, - makes winter something to look forward to, aside from a nice fire. ... ;)

MG, Philadelphia is in that awkward zone where we get enough cold weather to make it uncomfortable to be outside without a coat, but don't get enough snow to allow for truly "winter" sports. I used to live outside Chicago and was an avid cross-country skier. But, we don't get enough snow around here to do that. Occasionally, such as 2 years ago, we will get a winter that actually has snow and I'll get out and ski more than once. But, since Philly seems to be on the rain/snow line most of the time, we end up with winter storms that either begin or end with rain, and have minor amounts of snow somewhere in between. Then it gets warm and mostly melts and becomes a mess within 24 hours and so treats us to nothing but a horrible situation for traffic!
  Previous Topic: Thoreaus Walden Pond Topic Next Topic: Calling All Wilderness Women!  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.25 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07