The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
3/28/2024 11:04:46 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 BUMPPIN' 'ROUND BUMPPO'S
 The Tales MacWilliam ...
 The Mystery of the Blue-Hued Script
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Snow in Penns Woods Topic Next Topic: Campbells Soup!!  

Sjt. Malcolm MacWilliam
Pioneer

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 11 2002

Posted - November 27 2002 :  2:21:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After the Campbells’ Soup story had circulated among the Highland Regiment, Malcolm became a bit of a celebrity. Oh, not to the point that he was given special treatment by all the Campbell NCOs and Officers, only that Malcolm and the lads always seemed to be talking about food when the Campbells came around. Whenever one of them would be spotted, the conversations would switch to briskets and beef, squirrels and chickens, soups and breads, and all sorts of foods. But, the Campbells were not finished with Malcolm and his previous-Jacobite comrades. For a mysterious situation arose which embroiled Malcolm and his comrades; a situation which they were as puzzled by as were the Campbells.
It was a particularly bright night when the mystery first occurred. The moon lit the whole of the concourse between the castle and the outside walls as Pvt. Malcolm MacWilliam and Pvt. Duncan MacLaren came to the close of their watch. They were talking quietly, Malcolm having a bit of a pull on his watch pipe when MacLaren’s eyes grew wide, his mouth gaped and he pointed behind Malcolm. Malcolm turned quickly, just in time to see two blue-hued figures resembling wisps of fog in kilts and bonnets disappear through the castle wall.
“Whaaaaa....what was that?”, whispered Malcolm.
“I dinna know. But when I first saw, uhh, the twa figures.....they...”, and Duncan paused and giggled in his fright, “uhh, they were relieving themselves against the wall! Come, lad! Let’s see what these spirits are about.”
Now, as Scotsmen, spirits were of no surprise. They were raised at their mothers’ knees to believe in such stuff and to be respectful of the Fae, the fairy folk, and not to be scared into a catatonic state by such sightings. Malcolm and Duncan rushed to the place where they had seen the two spectres disappear.
The moon lit up the wall and there, in bright blue script were the letters "RC". The two soldiers stared at it in disbelief. Then Malcolm reached out his right index finger and touched the letter, wiping it, he looked. No color was on the digit. He reached back and rubbed the letter R with the side of his fist. Looking again, there was still no color on his skin.
“Strange, very strange”, whispered Malcolm. “It is dry and will not come off the stones. What does it mean and what were those blue spirits we saw?”
At that moment they heard a hiss behind them. Standing there with a disgusted look was none other than Cpl. Campbell. “Well, lads, painting on the castle walls? What is this mischief and tom foolery. Come! Off with ye to see the Sarjent Campbell.”
Malcolm and Duncan shrugged their shoulders and marched off with the Corporal. A few minutes later found them in the Sarjent’s barracks explaining what they had seen, of the blue-misted Fae and of the blue-hued "RC".
“Humphhh”, growled Sjt. Campbell. “Tis not the first time we have seen this script. It’s time we caught you Jacobites putting yer filthy secret codes on the King’s property. In the past several weeks we have found this "RC" script in the kitchens, on the wall behind the necessaries, and even in the Captain Campbell’s quarters. We know it ‘tis a Jacobite plot and we have figured it is a code for none other than the words "Royal Charlie"!”
At that, they were interrupted by a knock at the door. Cpl. Campbell opened it and there stood Lieutenant Campbell. His eyes were wide, face white and his hands were trembling.
The Sarjent stood and quietly asked, “What is it, man?”
“I.....I have seen another blue "RC"...it’s been written on the outside of your door....and, I saw twa figures, like blue fog......uhhh, putting the script on the doors with their.....Uhhh.... Gawd help me!!” And the lieutenant fainted away.
They rushed outside and for sure, a bright-hued blue "RC" was “painted” on the wooden door. Duncan spoke. “You see, Sarjent. ‘Twasn’t Malcolm or I, it’s the Fae! For all we know the script is to mean "Rotten Campbells"!” An
report to moderator

Davey Gunn
Pathfinder

Castle
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 10 2002

Posted - November 27 2002 :  9:10:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Huzzah to the Sarjent for another tale from the MacWilliam Chronicles. I guess it's about time someone else comes up with a story from the good old days. I'll be thinkin' on one or two in the next few days.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Snow in Penns Woods Topic Next Topic: Campbells Soup!!  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.17 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07