The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/18/2024 1:01:57 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Inside the Longhouse
 We Shall Remain
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: The Last of the Andamanese Topic Next Topic: Amazing Grace sang in the Cherokee language  

Kay
Colonial Settler

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
January 06 2009

Posted - April 06 2009 :  1:39:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was watching Masterpiece Theater last night on PBS and stayed up afterwards to watch a half hour promo for a new series airing on PBS beginning next Monday (after Easter). The five part series is part of American Experience and is titled We Shall Remain. It is five different stories in the history of America and American Indians-a fresh new look that they are recommending all of us Americans- red, white, or otherwise to watch because it will teach us something more and perhaps more truthful about our history as Americans. And guess who is in it?! Our beloved Wes Studi! I'm really going to try to watch this series and I know all of you in Mohicanland would enjoy it too!

Kay
report to moderator

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - April 06 2009 :  2:39:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have seen it myself, and had heard from some of the Iroquois and northern Indians, and they are not too happy with it.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Kay
Colonial Settler

USA

January 06 2009

Posted - April 06 2009 :  6:33:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
MMM... I am sorry to hear that. Do you know why they are displeased with the film?

Kay

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - April 07 2009 :  12:20:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Some comments from another board.

quote:
My wife and I made some of the props for the production but we limited our involvement to known objects and images. For the Massasoit character we went from the Niantic chief Ningret image. It is later period but it typified for me the use of shell wampum we see in the earlier time periods. The wampum diadem, and the shell necklace. In fact we did both for them - I see however that they used a neck knife sheath (horribly done) to cover up the cool lightning whelk and real wampum necklace we did. Arrrggghhh!!!!

I wish I didn't make them anything. Silk purses and sows.........

Shoulda coulda. Too many baggy leggings, to many badly painted tattoos, copper 'moon' gorgets with rocker engraving? Hunh? Where do we see those objects in the archeological record for 1675? Marker painted leggings in 19th c designs? loom woven sashes? ARE THEY FOR REAL?

I am sputtering with horror. I wish someone would just hire some people who are not merely self appointed experts but actual material culture people to do these things.

quote:
For the 17th C stuff they had a few "cultural consultants".....from local area tribes....I do agree with you some of the material culture stuff you see is crappy, (and doesnt look like it improves later on in the series...Just look at the hokiness in the episode for Tecumseh's Rebellion)...

quote:
But I got a glimpse of your pain watching Tecumseh and his crew with them 1850's Enfields.... AAAAAAAARRRGGNNNNNNNNN!!!! Surely, any number of reenactors would have gladly LOANED them a period-correct piece for a work of that magnitude.

BUT, there was a good comment:
quote:
Great to see Wes Studi finally getting to be a Cherokee tho' and I suspect that segment will be the best segment of all. A pure joy too to hear native Cherokee thrown around, tho I understood not a word.....

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Kay
Colonial Settler

USA

January 06 2009

Posted - April 07 2009 :  09:44:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, yes, very understandable. It is very difficult for living historians and people who study and immerse themselves in the material culture or who ARE the culture to see the knowledge we offer cast aside and to see film makers and many others disregard important details that convey the past and it's people for who knows what or why. I too have gotten turned off from many a documentary, film, and musuem for that very reason!

Kay

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 08 2009 :  12:58:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, we all know that the film industry will just never quite get it right, especially when it comes to authenticity in costuming.

I still think I will try to watch it, mostly because I am curious about it.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - April 14 2009 :  7:27:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Has anybody watched episode 1? It is some good stuff and very well put together!

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - April 14 2009 :  8:08:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by winglo

Has anybody watched episode 1? It is some good stuff and very well put together!

I was able to catch the last half an hour of it. Wish I could have seen more. But all in all, not bad. Some pretty good info to hopefully help educate to general public on some hidden issues the Indians did face and some of the horrible things that were done to them that just got swept under the rug. I wasn't too impressed with some of the native actors they had. But hey, can't please everyone! But looking forward to catching the next episode.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

"Live well, love much, laugh often!"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 15 2009 :  08:46:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Drat! I had company on Sunday evening and after they left, I was so tired I forgot all about it.

Shoot....

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - April 16 2009 :  10:43:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
WW, doesn't PBS usually replay things during the week? Check your local listings, I guess.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 16 2009 :  1:01:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Some stations do. I will check mine, but I've probably missed the repeat, as well.

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - April 29 2009 :  1:49:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The episode starring West Studi as Major Ridge of the Cherokee Nation aired on Monday night. I tivo'ed it and have now watched it. Wow! What an actor he is. Major Ridge was a non-English speaking Cherokee, so all of Wes's lines are in Cherokee (I guess, although it may be some other American Indian language) with subtitles. Didn't he speak like 4 different languages in LOTM?

He's an amazing actor and the episode is horribly sad. I have to say that I never knew a whole lot about Andrew Jackson, as president, but I certainly have no respect for him now.

Did anyone else see it?

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - April 29 2009 :  4:01:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
West Studi? Does that mean he has three brothers, East, North, and South?

IIRC, Wes Studi is Cherokee, so his lines must have come easily, language-wise if not emotion-wise.

BTW, I've never been a big fan of Andy ByGod Jackson.

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - May 03 2009 :  7:35:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Obediah

West Studi? Does that mean he has three brothers, East, North, and South?

Whoops, typo!

Yes, I knew Wes was Cherokee. I don't know if he grew up speaking Cherokee, though, or if he has learned it as an adult.

Anyway, it was a great episode. Can't wait for tonight's--which I'll watch later this week.

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - May 12 2009 :  3:59:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Russell Means was on last night's episode! Boy, he certainly is not in the kind of shape he was when he made LOTM. But, it has been quite awhile.

Kay
Colonial Settler

USA

January 06 2009

Posted - May 15 2009 :  3:19:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Since I have to share the tv with other people in the house I watched the series online. Finally finished part 5 but I missed part of 4 because the video wouldn't load right. Arrgh. What I did see I thought was pretty good. Yes, there were good and bad things about the show but I have to admit that I learned a lot I didn't know before and it was very good to see Russell Means this week. I did a double take when he first came on and to see him in the vintage film of the protest-wow!

Kay

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - May 15 2009 :  8:30:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, Kay, I agree. . .good and bad. Overall, the whole thing made me real sad. As they said in the show, ". . .it was ethnic cleansing."

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - September 01 2009 :  5:41:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxf5w6e5tvQ

I really want to see this now.

IG
  Previous Topic: The Last of the Andamanese Topic Next Topic: Amazing Grace sang in the Cherokee language  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.34 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07