The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/27/2024 12:31:00 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Mohicanland's Recommended Reading
 More New Books...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Has anyone read Blood Meridian Topic Next Topic: English Translations of Dutch Colonial Records a.k.a. Kingston Papers
Page: of 2

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 13 2009 :  8:11:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a confession to make: I have a book addiction. (I'm sure you know what that is like, Bookworm!) I have to put blinders on before I walk past the book section of a store, museum, historical site, or National Park. It rarely works. ~ sigh ~ And if I go online to Amazon.com... I am lost. I'm a junkie.

So, why is that a problem, you ask? Well, several reasons.

1. They cost money.
2. They take up space.
3. One is supposed to read them all.

~ sigh~ So many books... so little time.

But... I just bought two more!

Many years ago, when I was a teen-ager, I fell in love with the books of Gwen Bristow. I think I started with "Jubilee Trail" and moved on to "Calico Palace" and "Celia Garth." I am now rediscovering Celia.

This novel takes place in Charleston during the Revolutionary War. The young heroine becomes involved when "the marauding British Army takes everything she holds dear." She becomes more and more involved, and becomes an American spy. She meets up with the likes of Francis Marion (The Swamp Fox) and Banastre Tarleton. Yes, I know the story line sounds trite. But I really like Bristow's writing style, and this novel is good escapism. I'm going to enjoy it!

The other book I just couldn't live without is a new publication called, "Following the Drum -- Women at the Valley Forge Encampment." It is written by Nancy K. Loane, who is a former Park Ranger at Valley Forge and a founding member of the American Revolution Round Table of Philadelphia. This is going to be a fascinating read, and one that I am really interested in. Loane covers different classes of women, from the highest officer's wives (Martha Washington, Catherine Green, Lucy Knox) to the lowliest campfollowers. This is going to be good!

And those will be my late summer reading.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 13 2009 :  9:01:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I know of the affliction which haunts you WW, for you are not alone...

Standing up from the circle of chairs, "Hi, My name is Serjeant Munro"

"Hi, Sarge", the other attendees respond.

"And I have been a 'book-a-holic' for over 30 years"

...A trio of recent acquisitions have been part of my summer read, and they are as follows:

With Zeal And Bayonets Only: The British Army on Campaign in North America, 1775-1783, by Matthew H. Spring

The Other Loyalists: Ordinary People, Royalism, and the Revolution in the Middle Colonies, 1763-1787, by Jos. Tiedemann, Eugene Fingerhut and Robert Venables, editors

Choosing Sides On The Frontier In The American Revolution, by Walter S. Dunn Jr.

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - August 13 2009 :  9:09:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman
I'm a junkie.

So, why is that a problem, you ask? Well, several reasons.

1. They cost money.
2. They take up space.
3. One is supposed to read them all.

~ sigh~ So many books... so little time.

But... I just bought two more!

I'm a book junkie, too, WW, but I get my "fix" for free at the local library and then they don't take up space in my house on a long-term basis either. Is there no good library close to you?

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - August 13 2009 :  9:23:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's all relative to ones interest of course, but ... http://www.narrativepress.com/ ... has some great books.

you can keep "The Change"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 13 2009 :  10:15:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Winglo,

Yes, the Public Library is right across the street from my work place. It is not a terribly large one, however. Most of the books I am interested in -- many about the 18th century and the F & I War, in particular -- are simply not there. I guess you could say they are "specialty books." Celia Garth would probably be there, and most likely the original 1959 edition. However, I would be kind of surprised if the one about the women at Valley Forge would be.

Many times, I have to order specialty books on interlibrary loan -- some of the books on 18th century clothing, for example. It's time consuming to wait for them, and they can't be renewed.

But, you see.... there is more to the addiction. There is this strong need to own them for my personal collection. That way, I can pick up the ones I want to read at any given time, and can put them aside for a while, if I want. You can't always do that with library books.

That was very good, Sarge! That made me laugh!

And now... to crawl into my comfy bed and read more about Celia for a few minutes before I get too sleepy to continue......

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Kay
Colonial Settler

USA

January 06 2009

Posted - August 14 2009 :  10:09:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yep, I agree. I'm becoming a book junkie too. I have a great friend who is the ultimate book junkie-she's been collecting for probably 30 years and has a library floor to ceiling with books, plus books still packed in boxes sitting on the library floor waiting for a home. Whenever we go somewhere for an event or meeting she buys at least one book. However, the amazing thing is that she has read most of them and retains the information. How her mind works to remember this stuff never ceases to amaze me!

Kay

Kan-Tuck-EE
Pioneer

Chingachgook

December 31 2008

Posted - August 14 2009 :  12:58:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi, my name is Sharon and I am a bookaholic and a movieholic! I just ordered Pathfinder, Song of Hiawatha, The Black Robe and tada! The Last of the Mohicans Directors Cut (have recorded to DVR but could lose it so this is insurance). I started to order Skins (Eric Schweig Yeah Baby!) but read in the reviews that it is darkly depressing but a really good movie so I will wait on that one. We bought a new travel trailer and are going camping for a week so I will be well supplied with movies and I will be taking along some good books (period books of course and historical too!)for my FIX! I will be watching the surrounding woods for glimpses of Hawkeye, Uncus and other half naked indians...be still my heart! If I were younger and healthier you can bet I'd be re-enacting agun totin', buckskin wearin'wilderness woman...with a little Cora thrown in for good measure...depending on what the guys seemed to like Sigh...oh to be young and beautiful again

Kan-Tuck-EE

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - August 14 2009 :  1:10:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kan-Tuck-EE

Hi, my name is Sharon and I am a bookaholic and a movieholic! I just ordered Pathfinder, Song of Hiawatha, The Black Robe and tada! The Last of the Mohicans Directors Cut (have recorded to DVR but could lose it so this is insurance). I started to order Skins (Eric Schweig Yeah Baby!) but read in the reviews that it is darkly depressing but a really good movie so I will wait on that one.

Hello Sharon! Good to see some new folks here on the board. You'll like "Skins". Yes, it is a dark and depressing movie but really brings out the message of what is happening on the reservations to native americans. And it has our Eric S. in it too.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

"Live well, love much, laugh often!"

Kan-Tuck-EE
Pioneer

Chingachgook

December 31 2008

Posted - August 14 2009 :  1:14:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I buy alot of my books from fleamarkets. I have found some good ones too. One that I bought recently was "Touch The Earth - A Self-Portrait of Indian Existence" by T.C. McLuhan. It is quotes, stories, dreams in their own words of American Indians....really interesting and entertaining. I think I paid a dollar for it and it is 181 pages with sources for text, notes and further reading suggestions. I'm lovin' it. It will be going along with me camping this weekend. I also bought another true story about a young boy captured by indians in the 1700s (book is in the camper and cannot get to it right now to get the title)and how his parents worked hard to make enough money to buy him back from French traders who had bought him from the Indians who captured him. Good story. I tend to like true biographic or historic tales...but have been known to read a fiction too!

Kan-Tuck-EE

Kan-Tuck-EE
Pioneer

Chingachgook

December 31 2008

Posted - August 14 2009 :  2:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for the welcome blackfootblood! Appreciate it. I will definitely try to get Skins when I think I can handle depressing...I understand it is a lot to do with alcoholism too and that is why I can't watch right now...my son is battling that. But, I'll watch it one day!

Kan-Tuck-EE

Leah
Pathfinder

Anne Bradstreet
USA

January 28 2009

Posted - August 14 2009 :  3:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh, this is wonderful! I have never been a bookaholic before but, becoming obsessed with The Last of the Mohicans movie piqued by interest in Early American life. I prefer non-fiction, but will branch out into historical fiction. Books I've enjoyed for factual information are:

A Midwife's Tale-The Life of Martha Ballard...
First Generations, Women in Colonial America
Good Wives

Currently reading Early American Women A Documentary History 1600-1900very interesting Indian kidnapping/survival accounts

And, then there is my Prairie/Frontier interest obsession books:

Hearts West-True stories of mail-order brides-never realized they advertised like they did!
Days on the Road-journal of Sarah Raymond Herndon on her way to Montana
Frontier Women-The Trans-Mississippi West 1840-1880

I agree with WW about the need to "own" these books; I feel the same way. I bought most of them from our used bookstore or from Amazon. The ones from the used bookstore are college books, which I'm sure would be hard to replace.

But my favorite find of all ($1.50) was a little gem called Letters of a Woman Homesteader by Elinore Pruitt Stewart! Her positive outlook on the pioneer experience truly inspired me. She captured the American spirit, for sure. Reading these posts has given me more good choices!

Kay
Colonial Settler

USA

January 06 2009

Posted - August 14 2009 :  5:17:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Sharon! LOTM is tops! But, I loved Black Robe too. Just watched a 1995 Canadian production called Follow the River that had Eric S. in it too. I would like to see Into the West and Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. I loved reading LOTM, it was extremely enjoyable. I have yet to read the other books in the Leatherstocking Tales. Have a good time camping-I'm going camping next week-just the weekend though. Can't wait to get out on the lake and canoe like Uncas!

Kay

Kan-Tuck-EE
Pioneer

Chingachgook

December 31 2008

Posted - August 14 2009 :  8:28:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Kay! Thanks for the welcome. I watched Follow The River last night! I have it recorded to DVR so I can watch it whenever I want. I go back and forth between LOTM and FTR. Love Eric...and contrary to what many say...I think he is even more handsome now even though he is a good deal heavier. I love his voice too. Guess you could say I have a major crush. Heck I even like Russell Means alot and he is just a tad older than I am! I should get my movies I ordered while I am gone camping but I'll have some good ones to watch when I get back. They emailed that they were shipped today but we are leaving Sunday and won't be back until Friday. Something to look forward to. Re: Follow The River...I really liked it too...though it doesn't have ALL the gorgeous scenery that LOTM has...it did have some and what can I say Eric makes up for that lack!

Kan-Tuck-EE

BookwormMG
Deerslayer

USA

August 12 2009

Donating Member

Posted - August 15 2009 :  08:37:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Has anyone else fallen victim to that seductive "buy with One-Click" offer at Amazon? You sign up once, and then the option is always there, waiting for you. And it's SO easy! Of course there's a period of time in which you could cancel your purchase, but that would feel like returning a gift you've just received.

The Narrative Press site looks really interesting, Mon Guide! I especially like the artwork that appears on the covers of some of the books, including those shown at the top of the main page. Shades of N.C. Wyeth and Howard Pyle.

We have a very good public library here, and I support it with a small donation from each paycheck through the State Employees Combined Appeal. I use it mostly for my beloved mystery novels, which I reserve if I know when a new one is coming out. You're so right about the non-fiction, Joyce, and that's what I buy from Amazon. That book on women at the Valley Forge encampment sounds like it was an absolutely essential buy for you!

I must have at least 20 non-fiction books lying around that I intend to read, but new ones keep popping up and being added to the list (and the piles -- the shelves are about full). I just read that newly retired Supreme Court justice David Souter will no longer reside in his ramshackle old family home in New Hampshire. He's bought a larger, more modern home because: 1) he wants to live on one floor; and 2) the old house is in such bad shape that it wouldn't support his library of several thousand books. Never was there a better reason to buy a new home!

I used to limit myself to reading one fiction and one non-fiction book at a time, but lately I seem to have abandoned that rule and I'm not sure the result is very efficient. Sometimes I forget where I was and have to skim the preceding pages. Here's my current pile:

"Sand Sharks" by Margaret Maron -- latest in the Judge Deborah Knott series (almost done)

"Rain Gods" by James Lee Burke -- first in a new series (next up in fiction)

"Blood and Thunder" by Hampton Sides -- awesome book on Kit Carson and the conquest of the West (making steady progress)

"Leading by Example" by Gov. Bill Richardson (D-NM) -- energy independence/clean energy/national security, etc. (2/3 done)

"The Battle for America 2008: The Story of an Extraordinary Election" by Dan Balz and Haynes Johnson -- self-explanatory (just started)

As you can see, I really need to FOCUS!

"Glory, glory, hallelujah, welcome to the future!" -- Brad Paisley

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 15 2009 :  10:55:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I am addicted to the one-click, though I mostly buy movies these days. I am reading a book right now called, "Go Down Together" about Bonnie & Clyde. Not bad.

So, is this going to be your new identiy, Bookworm?

BookwormMG
Deerslayer

USA

August 12 2009

Donating Member

Posted - August 15 2009 :  11:03:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So sorry I forgot to respond to your e-mail, Sachem. I did try your suggestion, but it didn't work, quite possibly because I messed it up (my "encounters with technology," as my husband calls them, are legendary). I don't mind being known as BookwormMG, but the loss of status is painful.

To respond to a comment WW made in another forum: I think that Monadnock Guide and I would get along better than anyone might expect, as he has a nice sense of humor, but no, we haven't formed any sort of alliance.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 15 2009 :  11:09:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BookwormMG

I don't mind being known as BookwormMG, but the loss of status is painful.

Fixed! May it ease your pain ...

BookwormMG
Deerslayer

USA

August 12 2009

Donating Member

Posted - August 15 2009 :  6:34:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks, Sachem, it has! And a promotion, no less . . . thanks again.

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - August 15 2009 :  6:50:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
C'mon - BookwormMG, I can be "understanding" (to a point) but an alliance with a REAL leftie - I do have my reputation to uphold after all. ;)

BookwormMG
Deerslayer

USA

August 12 2009

Donating Member

Posted - August 16 2009 :  10:56:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
As do I, Mon Guide, as do I!

Rich, if you're interested in 1930s-era true crime stories, the book "Public Enemies" by Bryan Burrough comes highly recommended by my husband. He bought it moments after we saw the movie ($16.00 trade paperback at Borders) and raced through it in a day or two. I haven't read it, but apparently it provides lots of info on not just Dillinger but also the other famous names of that criminal era, including Bonnie and Clyde, and is also very enjoyable to read.

Kan-Tuck-EE
Pioneer

Chingachgook

December 31 2008

Posted - August 16 2009 :  6:20:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I need to add "Public Enemies" to my list of future must haves! We are on the lake and a beautiful lake it is...however...it is sooooooo hot. From every window are beautiful woodsy vistas that look as if they could hold a passle of half-naked savages (ummmmhummmm honey!)and out the back window of the camper we can see the beautifl lake...oh about 150 feet from our site! We are piled up in side in the AC :) and yesterday at Walmart I saw LOTM dvd for $7.50! But I have it coming from Amazon. I bought "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" dvd and will be watching that tonight. Happy trails y'all!!!!!

Kan-Tuck-EE

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - August 17 2009 :  08:11:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

But, you see.... there is more to the addiction. There is this strong need to own them for my personal collection. That way, I can pick up the ones I want to read at any given time, and can put them aside for a while, if I want.

WW, my husband has this same type of addiction--the need to buy the books, etc. What I have observed, however, is that although the intention is to "pick up" and read the books, most of them sit on the shelves in the house because there is always something new and better on the shelf at the bookstore. So, he buys again, but last week's purchase never gets read completely (nor does this week's).

So, I'm headed back to classes next week and for most of the semester will be forced to read dry, dull textbooks, with little time left over to read nonfiction for pleasure. Anyone have any ideas for overcoming withdrawal?

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - August 17 2009 :  08:23:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Beer, ...

Kan-Tuck-EE
Pioneer

Chingachgook

December 31 2008

Posted - August 17 2009 :  11:44:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Books on tape to listen to on your way to and from class???? By the way, I admire you for continuing your education!

Kan-Tuck-EE

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - August 17 2009 :  12:23:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
MG, Beer would probably do the trick, but I also wouldn't pass any of my classes because I don't drink at all, so I'd become incapacitated very quickly!

Kan-Tuck-EE, school just goes on and on for me. I was teaching at a college on the side, then got laid off last January. So, now I'm headed back to school full time AND teaching 2 classes!

BookwormMG
Deerslayer

USA

August 12 2009

Donating Member

Posted - August 17 2009 :  9:22:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good luck with that schedule, Winglo! I'm in awe of people who work and go to school at the same time.

As to your husband's need to acquire books even though he hasn't read all the ones he has, I understand completely. At least then you have the book, which you'll get around to reading eventually, and you feel rich in a way when you look around and see all the books you possess -- you'll never be at a loss for something to do, because you could read for years and years.

Here's a new book I almost bought when I saw it offered by a book club: "Peaceable Kingdom Lost: The Paxton Boys and William Penn's Holy Experiment" by Kevin Kenny. It sounds like a must-read for anyone interested in the Pennsylvania frontier, but common sense prevailed for once and I decided to wait for the trade paperback edition.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Has anyone read Blood Meridian Topic Next Topic: English Translations of Dutch Colonial Records a.k.a. Kingston Papers  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.34 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07