The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/18/2024 11:55:19 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 Seamus Is Famous, Again
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Ogdensburg - La Prsentation Topic Next Topic: Spanish Colonial Muskets
Page: of 2

BookwormMG
Deerslayer

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
August 12 2009

Donating Member

Posted - August 17 2009 :  9:52:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"The Market at Washingtonburg," a colonial market with sutlers and reenactors of many sorts, will be held at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center outside Carlisle on September 18 through 20. To advertise the event, the AHEC has hung several banners on a fence facing I-81. And on those banners, staring sternly at the travelers speeding by (literally, in most cases), is the face of Seamus MacWilliams, or, in his alternate persona, Captain Slease of the Augusta Regiment. No doubt visitors to the event will point and say "That's him, the guy on the banner!" And maybe even ask for his autograph.

BTW, Mike and Joyce, in your visits to AHEC have you had time to discover Leo's Ice Cream? It's on Trindle Road, a very short distance away, and has a wonderful array of flavors, quite a few of which Dave and I can vouch for (as can our dog). It's well worth a visit if you ever have a few moments to spare.

"Glory, glory, hallelujah, welcome to the future!" -- Brad Paisley
report to moderator

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 18 2009 :  07:36:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh, dear me. Not again. Two years ago, it was a billboard. Now this. There will be no livin' with him now.

Of course, we won't mention the fact that AHEC used my photo one time on their website and in their newsletter. And last year, a different photo of me was placed on a bookmark that went out to all of their potential donors. No, we won't talk about that.

For those of you who live anywhere close to Carlisle, this event is well worth attending. There is no battle re-enactment, but there usually is a parade of troops, and there are plenty of other things to see. Our regiment will be manning the 1757 Military Way Station, as always.

Here is a link to the information: Washingtonburg Yes... that's him. Again.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 18 2009 :  07:58:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
And you only have to wait until December and my likeness with be in an oil painting by the artist who was at Niagara. If memory serves me correctly, I was wearing my pigtails at the time.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 18 2009 :  12:43:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I will look forward to seeing that, Fitz! What was the artist's name? There were several there.

Mary, I forgot to answer your question: No, we have not discovered Leo's, I don't believe. I may have to try to do that this time.

We have eaten dinner at... oh, shoot! What is the name of it? It's in an old stone building... an old inn or tavern. I think it is on the main street through town, but before you get to the center of town. Seamus? Help! You, John and I ate there recently.

And our favorite place to hit for supper on Sunday evening before we head for home is the Red Robin in the plaza across from AHEC.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 18 2009 :  2:19:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

I will look forward to seeing that, Fitz! What was the artist's name? There were several there.

Actually, I don't remember. I think I got a card, but I lost it. But no problem. Dave Bayer has the name, so I will just wait until December and ask him.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - August 18 2009 :  2:20:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

Scalle's Restaurant
2 York Road
Carlisle, PA 17013
717-245-0099

.....just toward town from Lowe's at the intersection. It is set is an old Carlisle warehouse at the split of York and Trindle Roads.

Great bait shop!!!!!

http://www.carlisle-restaurants.com/scalles-restaurant/

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 18 2009 :  3:03:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's it! Thank you! Anyway... good place to eat.

I will definitely be watching for Leo's Ice Cream! If the weather is hot, I may even make a special trip one evening, for I do love ice cream!

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - August 18 2009 :  7:34:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I will be at AHEC tomorrow afternoon for a 4 hour program for the National Guard, so I may be able to scout it out and see how it is on my way home! Heheheheheh!

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

BookwormMG
Deerslayer

USA

August 12 2009

Donating Member

Posted - August 18 2009 :  8:38:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Mike and Joyce,

As you come to the traffic light at the intersection of Army Heritage Drive and Trindle Road, where if you go straight you would be at the shopping plaza that includes Red Robin, turn left instead. Leo's will be on your right not a quarter mile down the road. There's a small sign (can't be larger because of township regs, I was told), but it can be hard to spot. Well worth the effort, however. The family-owned business seems to be thriving, despite the presence of a Cold Stone Creamery (freestanding) at the south end of the shopping plaza and a Bruster's Ice Cream at the south end of town near the Walmart Plaza.

Another nice thing about attending the Market at Washingtonburg: the plastic visitor's pass makes a good bookmark if you remember not to throw it away.

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - August 18 2009 :  9:23:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Bruster's is over-priced and over-rated......IMNSHO.

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

BookwormMG
Deerslayer

USA

August 12 2009

Donating Member

Posted - August 18 2009 :  10:22:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
But they give free doggie sundaes, if you bring a dog. It's worth it just to watch her standing impatiently in line and staring longingly at the window.

Just to warn you, then, Leo's is certainly not underpriced, but the ice cream is made by a family that owns, or used to own, a dairy, so they know what they're doing.

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - August 19 2009 :  06:23:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I will sacfrifice myself and do a personal test.......results will be posted here tomorrow, or late tonight! Gonna take one for the team.

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 19 2009 :  09:24:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it, right Seamus?

I await your opinion with bated breath.

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - August 19 2009 :  10:16:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That...is another reason that I....am the Captain, Lass! I will NOT ask my people to go where I will not(He says as he struggles to keep the drool off his clean shirt!).

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 19 2009 :  12:22:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rest assured, Dear Sir, that your.... cough.... sacrifices... do not go unnoticed.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 19 2009 :  6:06:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So, how about a picture of the banner???? Or, at least a shot of our poor Captain eatin' his sundae!

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - August 20 2009 :  06:29:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, the planned on and anxiously awaited taste test did not happen. Road work closed access to the place, but I have a bead on it and we will go there in about a month when we are at AHEC. I did not have time to go on a roundabout to get there, as I had a meeting requiring me to be at here at home by a particular time, and I was looking at about 2 hours on the trail.

Despair not, oh, WW, we shall endeavour to complete the quest on Friday or Saturday evening in September.....or both!

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 20 2009 :  10:18:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yer on!!! Hopefully, it will be hot weather, so I can fully appreciate the cooling effect and delicious flavor of the ice cream. Mmmmmmm..... I can't wait.........

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 23 2009 :  10:17:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
And here is a photo of last year's banner:

BookwormMG
Deerslayer

USA

August 12 2009

Donating Member

Posted - August 23 2009 :  10:25:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's basically what this year's banners look like, Sachem, except that they're narrower and, IIRC, show the name and dates of the event and Seamus, but not the accoutrements. In other words, they emphasize Seamus even more. I'll say it, WW -- that's all we need!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 23 2009 :  10:43:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's a hell of a sign Seamus...congrats on getting your handsome mug on there

IG

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - August 23 2009 :  1:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Nice pic there, Seamus!!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

"Live well, love much, laugh often!"

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - August 23 2009 :  2:28:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

Image Insert:

17.77 KB

OK--here is the banner from last year. This year's is the same except for the dates.

Thanks, Irish and Blackfoot Blood............

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 23 2009 :  7:46:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So, Seamus... have they given you one of those yet for a souvenir? If not, I think you definitely need to have one to stretch across your back fence, facing the house.

Btw, Rich... how to you happen to come by that photo?

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 24 2009 :  06:47:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
WW ... you should know by now ... I am Nationwide!!

PS - Plus, Seamus sent it to me!

BookwormMG
Deerslayer

USA

August 12 2009

Donating Member

Posted - September 01 2009 :  7:39:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Fear not, Mike and Joyce, the road to Leo's is open once again. Let's hope it lasts; the construction on the northeast corner of the intersection of Army Heritage and Trindle is still going on. I checked on the quality of the ice cream for you, and it's as good as ever.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Ogdensburg - La Prsentation Topic Next Topic: Spanish Colonial Muskets  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.41 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07