The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/18/2024 12:33:59 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 BUMPPIN' 'ROUND BUMPPO'S
 The Tales MacWilliam ...
 In Reading Town--Part 2
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Remembering - The January Tale of 1758 Topic Next Topic: In Reading Town--Part 1  

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 19 2002

Posted - December 22 2002 :  10:40:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Seamus finished his dinner, and a fine dinner it was, fresh-baked cornbread, a wondrous stew of venison, Indian potatoes, carrots, beans and onion in a thick gravy, simmered long and slow in the iron pot over a bed of coals raked out and refreshed periodically from the fireplace. He was back now in his rocker, cradling a mug of coffee in his weathered hands. He sat just to the side of the fireplace where he could absorb the reflected heat from the right side coving of his fireplace without it getting too hot as it would if he was more to the center. He had learned the value of reflected heat from the Indians he had befriended as a youth. They had taught him how to build and use reflectors at his campsites from logs or rocks, and how he could stay warm even in the cold dead of winter. They taught him about shelters, natural and man-made ones, how to read the skies and when to seek shelter when certain things occurred, such as the animals of the forests being out and moving before bad weather moved in, or how various cloud formations could be read.

Humma Timmeu, Night Wolf, had been a particularly patient and kind teacher. He had taken quickly to the young Irish lad and showed him many ways of the Delaware. He filled him with story lessons and showed him which wild plants could be eaten safely. Wingeohkwet, The Raven, showed him how to read the signs that the deer and turkey left and how to use his own instincts in the woods. He had learned well; their lessons had saved him many times, and he silently uttered his gratitude to them. In turn, he had passed their teachings on to Caleb, his son, and he would share them with his son when the time came. A warm feeling flowed from deep within as he recalled these mentors, now long gone..........and he wished he could see them again. ‘Perhaps I will,’ he thought, ‘....perhaps I will. Now what was I thinking about before dinner? Ahhh, yes.......the Widow Finney’s tavern in Reading Town...........’

A table near where the boys stood taking in the sights in Widow Finney’s tavern had six rather boisterous men sitting at it, and it was obvious that they had had entirely too much to drink. Their loud voices were laced with foul language and one of them had apparently just finished a funny story, as they all were laughing heartily. The table was piled high with dishes containing the remains of what had been a real feast.

One of these men stood up precariously, raised his hand in the air and bellowed, “BARKEEP! ALE!! MORE ALE!! DAMMIT!! SHEND ONE OF THOSE WENCHES OVER HERE........(belch!).........WITH MORE....(belch)..... ALE!! NOW.......DAMMIT!” And with that he plunked himself heavily back in his chair, nearly rolling it over backwards. His companions roared in laughter as the man struggled to maintain his balance.

Seamus watched all of this with narrowed eyes and a steely glare. The muscles in his back and arms tensed and his hands curled tightly into hard knotted fists. Michael and Christian were so busy trying to figure out where all this food could have come from, and how the cooks had gotten “that WHOLE cow” into the fireplace that they failed to notice the change in their Irish cousin's demeanor.

A very comely, buxom young brunette wearing a chemise and skirt and apron had approached the table with a pitcher of ale in each hand, and was greeted with roars of approval from its occupants. One of the men shoved a few dishes aside to make room for the pitchers, and as the lass leaned in to set them down one of the men.....an overweight, greasy haired, obnoxious-looking lout who wore a filthy waistcoat, patted her rear and then clutched her around the waist, pulling her onto his lap. She squealed and laughed and playfully slapped him on the cheek, which brought roars of laughter from the other men. He responded by grabbing a handful of her hair and pulling her towards his face, planting a long, hard kiss
report to moderator

Many Flags
Colonial Settler

USA

August 13 2002

Posted - December 23 2002 :  06:18:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Seamus, ....Ja, that is the way it happened, it is! It has been so many years since I have thought of that day and how you whipped the snot out of that scum. It is a good tale, Cousin! Is there more to this? Tickle my memory!! Pax Aye! Many Flags
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - December 23 2002 :  06:40:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Aye, Flags.....there IS more! Do ye remember what happened after that little dance at the Widow Finney's? Do ye remember when the King's Sheriff came a-looking for us? HAH!! And do ye recall how we finally got something to eat?? I was damned near starved, and after the.....I can't really call it a fight, because it didn't last long enough to be a "fight".....maybe a brawl, Aye! A brawl suits it. Hell, it was over before it hardly started! That phlegm never knew what hit it! But, my Cousin, t'was the first of many a battle in our long careers, eh?? And ye know, me hands never did hurt afterwards!

Anyway, after the brawl remember who we ran into, I mean literally ran into?? Hoohoo!! Tales still chuckles and shakes his head when he thinks about THAT!!

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

Drummer Edward Armstrong
Pathfinder

USA

October 08 2002

Posted - December 23 2002 :  08:50:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well then, talk on Seamus! I just got a good burn in my taveren pipe and although mine and Flag's flasks are dry, Malcolm's flask has nary been handeled! And besides, this "Galloway hide covered chair" is far to cozy to leave now! Malcolm, get your flask lad, I think it's to be gettin' good!

Sjt. Malcolm MacWilliam
Pioneer

September 11 2002

Posted - December 23 2002 :  12:46:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Aye, Drummer...I be here with a whole bottle of the "water of life"....all set for these cousins' story. Seamus, Flags and Tales always seem to be in a pickle!! Always, scrappin' and lovin' someplace. Then, they leave the BIG battles to us professionals!! Speak on, Cousin Seamus while the Drummer and I have a smoke and some libation. Pax Aye!! Malcolm, Sjt. 77th Grenadiers
  Previous Topic: Remembering - The January Tale of 1758 Topic Next Topic: In Reading Town--Part 1  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.22 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07