The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/18/2024 8:36:10 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The GREAT MOHICAN GATHERINGS
 The Next Great Advent'cha! Gathering X - 2012
 A Place for Mohican Games?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Mohican Music? - The Hooligans ... Topic   

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - June 29 2010 :  3:20:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address
What do you think of this place [still being constructed] as a possible replacement - if need be - for the French Broad Muzzleloaders? I have not approached anyone there about this, though I do know a couple of the members involved.

Davidson's Fort Watch this little slideshow.

It is located in Old Fort, NC - just off I-40 between Asheville & Marion.
report to moderator

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 29 2010 :  9:59:01 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Mohican Games! I had forgotten all about the Mohican Games! We dropped that event when I didn't have a volunteer for it in 2006, so that means it's about time for a reprisal. I think Davidson's Fort is an excellent idea, and honestly they would probably be happy for the site to be used. No harm in asking, anyway.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 29 2010 :  11:59:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
VERY INTRIGUING! Loved the "This could be Fort Davidson someday" slides!

Lady Ann
Pioneer

USA

May 20 2002

Posted - June 30 2010 :  10:52:23 AM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
New activity for the 2012 Gathering: the Gathered Mohicanlanders combine the Games/barbecue with a day of VOLUNTEERING at the site. A little wood chopping/stone cutting/brick making/mortaring is just the thing to get us into that French and Indian War era spirit!

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - June 30 2010 :  12:59:27 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Davidson's hosted their first event in May of this year, and one of my units, the South Carolina Independent Rangers, was there and brought a number of the members. It was a good event and the people at Davidson's are very nice and very enthusiastic. I think they would be glad to host our event. They don't have all that much land and are close to a manufacturing plant and I-40. They have plans to get more land but what they want is family owned and promised to them, but the catch is when. Some of the sites we have previously gone to in May have made it clear that they don't care whether we come or not, or whether they have an event or not, so Davidson's is a welcome replacement for them. Their next event will be on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. The 27th of November, I believe. The Rangers plan to be there, and I would urge anyone else in the area who might have a flintlock and some 18th century clothes to join us. (Know anyone like that?) It's a one day event, on Saturday only, but in May they had no problem with people camping overnight on Friday. But the weather at Thanksgiving could be good or could be nasty. Either way we will be there on Saturday.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Gadget Girl

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 30 2010 :  4:01:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Lady Ann! Good to "see" you! What a terrific idea!!! Sounds like just our kind of group Fitz!

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - July 05 2010 :  4:37:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Just got in from a quick trip to Davidson's Fort with Diana and Cecelia. There are pros & cons.

The cons are mainly the location; a strip of land between I-40 and the Janesville Acoustic Plant. Does something to destroy the ambience. It's also devoid of shade [except in the block house].

The pros: the fort, itself; the Board of Directors seem open to us; plenty of parking area; plenty of shooting and games room [though, at least at this time, there is no official shooting range like the FBR's have]; electricity on-site.

Here are some pictures - constuction is on-going; I know there was some work done just this past weekend. Let me know what you think:

Gadget Girl

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 14 2010 :  12:41:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I really kind of liked the feeling of the fort, interstate and plant be damned! I think if the French Broad Muzzleloaders don't work out, this site would be quite workable for a games event!

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - July 14 2010 :  08:01:24 AM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The only thing is, the site is not suitable for is live fire. My question is, do we want live fire? It seemed that when we were at the French Broad Range there was less and less each year. It started with a pretty good shoot arranged by Lady Ann and McLeod with prizes, etc. I still have a wampum belt I won in that one. First prize was brandy, so I am glad I finished second. The brandy would be long gone. The last time we had an event there we barely shot. I would love to see a full scale shoot once again, but will folks participate? Anyway, live fire is good, especially if people who have never had the opportunity to participate get the chance to fire a flintlock. Maybe it is too much to do the games and shoot at the same time. Maybe we could use the FBR for a shoot and Davidson's for the games? Just thinking.

Anyway, I am going to talk to the FBR people and do some serious sucking up. The kind where you get on your knees, tug on the hem of their hunting shirt, and cry. I just have to find the right time, and the right people. And catch them when they are not preoccupied with other things, like one of their own events. We shall see.

Jayne
Overseer of Ariel's Auction

Oak Leaf

May 23 2002

Posted - July 16 2010 :  11:06:43 AM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Gosh! I went through Old Fort twice and never saw the fort! I remember asking Karen if she thought there was still one there.

Maybe if there's a live shoot, I can convince my husband to go in 2012. He came in 3rd that year, Fitz. I believe he brought home a nice prize - a handsome container for his spirits-of-choice! Best of luck using your charm and wonderful wit to win over those FBR folks!

Jayne

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - July 17 2010 :  08:51:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
At this time of year, Jayne, it is virtually impossible to spot from the Interstate. It is hidden from sight driving through "downtown" Old Fort, as well. You kind of have to know where it is to see it from any road.

quote:
Originally posted by Fitzhugh Williams

The only thing is, the site is not suitable for is live fire. My question is, do we want live fire? It seemed that when we were at the French Broad Range there was less and less each year. It started with a pretty good shoot arranged by Lady Ann and McLeod with prizes, etc. I still have a wampum belt I won in that one. First prize was brandy, so I am glad I finished second. The brandy would be long gone. The last time we had an event there we barely shot. I would love to see a full scale shoot once again, but will folks participate? Anyway, live fire is good, especially if people who have never had the opportunity to participate get the chance to fire a flintlock. Maybe it is too much to do the games and shoot at the same time. Maybe we could use the FBR for a shoot and Davidson's for the games? Just thinking.

Anyway, I am going to talk to the FBR people and do some serious sucking up. The kind where you get on your knees, tug on the hem of their hunting shirt, and cry. I just have to find the right time, and the right people. And catch them when they are not preoccupied with other things, like one of their own events. We shall see.

Yeah, if there is no live shooting allowed, that could be a possible issue. When I was there a couple of weeks ago, it appeared that there was only one possible direction one could fire safely. But, if it's not allowed, mute point. The site, though, does lend itself pretty perfectly to our needs. There is plenty of parking, the interior of the fort could be set up for our eating, while the exterior for the games, raffles could be up in the blockhouse ... just thoughts, but there are a lot of possibilities there. Just the fort standing there makes it a good choice.

We'll see how your begging goes, Fitz!

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - December 12 2010 :  10:03:39 AM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I talked to one of the people from Davidson's Fort yesterday and she said they were more than happy to have us. When I mentioned it to her, she said "That's when they have a reunion of the cast from Last of the Mohicans, isn't it?" Well, not quite, but if Ms. Stowe was to be there I am sure attendance would be exceptional! But even without her, we are most welcome. They will have their spring event next May on the third weekend, but because of how the calendar falls next May, I am not yet sure of the exact dates at this time. The SC Rangers will be there, so Rich, I suggest they you put on your 18th century clothes, grab your rifle, and head on up the hill to Old Fort. You can fall in with us.

Also, if there are others who would like to attend, please send me an PM and we will arrange things for you. If you want to come in 21st (or even 20th) century dress, then just show up. The event is for the public.

Previous Topic: Mohican Music? - The Hooligans ... Topic   
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.34 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07