The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/25/2024 12:52:10 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 Cooper's Corner
 A brief encounter with someone related to....
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: The Spy Topic Next Topic: Bits of the novel that are not in the film  

Kay
Colonial Settler

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
January 06 2009

Posted - October 11 2010 :  2:07:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys!

I know it's been a long time again since I was last here. However, I wanted to make sure I shared with all of you a little story about my weekend. Yesterday, my family and I went to Ligonier Days in Ligonier, PA. By the way, were any of you at the fort by chance? We did catch the 4:00pm battle and I wondered if anyone was there from Mohicanland. Anyway, to get back on track, we wondered into some of the shops in town. We happened to go in to an art studio/gallery belonging to the artist J. A. Cooper. At first we assumed Cooper was a man but it turns out Cooper is a nice young woman. As we browsed her gallery we came to learn she is a descendant of none other then.... James Fenimore Cooper! How cool is that! Her work, in the gallery at least, is mostly early American life including scenery and military and indian portraits. She has a website if any of you are interested in checking it out (www.jacooper.com) This tidbit certainly made my weekend and was too cool not to share!

Kay
report to moderator

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 12 2010 :  12:24:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, actually.... I was there! Sjt. Munro, of these boards, was also there. Our own Seamus, aka Capt. Slease, had planned to be there, but was not able to attend.

We were garrisoned in the Junior Officer's cabin, which is located outside the fort, on the left side as you are facing the fort from the museum.

Seamus and I both know Ms. Cooper, but Seamus does more than I. She has actually stayed with Seamus and the Missus while doing a show in their area. And more importantly, she has painted a portrait of him! You can view this on her website. Go to her Portfolio page, click on French and Indian War. Seamus is the Man in Green.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 13 2010 :  07:10:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wow! And an excellent artist! Nice portrait of you, Mike!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 13 2010 :  09:41:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I actually think that she added about 10 years and 20 pounds to him, but she certainly got the steely gaze right! I've seen that gaze in action.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - October 13 2010 :  09:52:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks, Sachem......

Actually, WW, the hair gave me the 'older' look, but the pounds were real at that time! Jaime gave me her original photo and her portrait is amazingly close. She took it during the tactical at Ligonier a few years ago, 2006, to be exact, while I was intently watching our troops perform on the field of battle. I still wore my own hair long back then. I went down to the bone in '07. The 20 pounds (and then a few more...!) are now gone and I am a svelte figure of my once and former chubby self.

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

Kay
Colonial Settler

USA

January 06 2009

Posted - October 13 2010 :  10:00:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's good to know that you guys were there! We enjoyed ourselves alot and are looking forward to going back again to roam around the fort and museum for a whole day. We used to go when we lived out around the 'burgh but this was the first time we'd been back in close to 20 years.

How exciting that you, WW, and Seamus know Ms. Cooper! We loved her work and had a very pleasant conversation with her. And Seamus, your portrait is wonderful!

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - October 13 2010 :  12:53:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Did you buy one, Kay?? It's great for keeping mice at bay.......

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 17 2010 :  2:00:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Wilderness Woman said: Well, actually.... I was there! Sjt. Munro, of these boards, was also there. Our own Seamus, aka Capt. Slease, had planned to be there, but was not able to attend.

It was nice to see you there WW, as well as the brae lads of the Pennsylvania Regiment.

quote:
Seamus noted: I went down to the bone in '07. The 20 pounds (and then a few more...!) are now gone and I am a svelte figure of my once and former chubby self.

Cousin, WW told me of your recent bout, and I do hope that you are feeling better now. I also let Lady Munro know, and she will be sending you an e-mail here shortly (now that things have settled down here at Ft. Pitt).

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - November 11 2010 :  8:52:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Awww...NUTS!

I was hoping you ran into a relative of Uncas!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!
  Previous Topic: The Spy Topic Next Topic: Bits of the novel that are not in the film  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.27 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07