The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/18/2024 10:03:17 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 Cooper's Corner
 Certainly no DDL . . .
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Free Cooper Ebooks Topic Next Topic: The Spy  

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 13 2006

Posted - April 22 2011 :  6:48:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been working on reading through Cooper's Leatherstocking series, partly for fun, partly because I'm interested in the "biography" of Natty Bumppo (aka Hawkeye) over the course of the series. I recently started The Pioneers, and was surprised to find a (rare!) detailed physical description of our hero . . . well, in his original, intended form, anyway. Take a look at how Cooper envisioned him. For the record, this is Natty in 1793, long after the saga at Ft. Wm. Henry:

"He was tall and so meager as to make him seem above even the six feet that he actually stood in his stockings. On his head, which was covered with lank, sandy hair, he wore a cap made of foxskin. . . . His face was skinny and thin almost to emaciation; but it yet bore no signs of disease---on the contrary, it had every indication of the most robust and enduring health. The cold and the exposure had, together, given it a color of uniform red. His gray eyes were glancing under a pair of shaggy brows that overhung them in long hairs of gray mingled with their natural hue; his scraggy neck was bare and burnt to the same tint with his face. . . ."

He is also described as having a "huge" mouth that shows off a single, yellow tooth when he opens it to laugh.

Not much of a romantic lead, eh? And certainly no DDL!
report to moderator

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 23 2011 :  06:35:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh dear me... one hopes that he at least had teeth in his F&I War days.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - April 23 2011 :  09:21:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I guess the next 36 years were kind of rough on the old boy. How old was he supposed to be at Fort WH? 25? 30? That plus 36 would make him . . . lets see now . . . . younger than me!!!

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - April 23 2011 :  10:16:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Makes ME feel better! I still have all my teeth!

IWLFNDU
Colonial Settler

IWLFNDU
USA

May 08 2010

Posted - April 23 2011 :  12:45:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
All I can say is thank goodness for artistic license. I can't seem to picture sandy hair on dear ol' Mr. Poe.

''Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realize that we cannot eat money.''

~ Cree Proverb

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - April 23 2011 :  9:22:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
He would have been in his 70's at this point in the cycle. I think he was supposed to be 36-38 in LOTM. Pathfinder is the same age/period as LOTM, in his 80's during The Prairie. My favorite is still Deerslayer which I think is supposed to take place in the summer of 1744 while Hawkeye and Chingachgook are young uns on their first warpath and involved with their first loves.
  Previous Topic: Free Cooper Ebooks Topic Next Topic: The Spy  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.31 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07