The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/24/2024 6:13:08 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICANLAND: Community
 Bunkhouse Banter!
 A Day at the Post Office
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Lordy, Lordy ... Look whos 4-T!! Topic Next Topic: Some Really Great News!  

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - September 04 2011 :  4:53:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Two days ago, I was waiting on an elderly man at the counter in Marion. Normal transaction; regular customer. He was purchasing a money order and a stamp. He walked in from the excruciating heat and humidity we've been experiencing, and weakly approached me hobbling with his cane. I could immediately tell he wasn't feeling very well, and asked him if he was OK. "Yes, just the heat." We proceeded with the transaction, and when it came time to pay, he pulled out his wallet and tried to take out the $290 some-odd dollars to hand to me. He had significant difficulty. He seemed confused, as if he couldn't figure how much he had taken out of his wallet and how much more he needed. I waited patiently. Finally I asked him, "Are you sure that you are OK?" He replied, "Yes. I'm fine." Still, he couldn't take out all the money. I said, "Here, let me help you," and took hold of his wallet. He seemed like he wanted to let go, but he couldn't. I gently pulled out his money, counted it out in front of him, and handed the rest back. He tried to put it back in his wallet, but he just crumpled it up and stuffed it in. It was hanging all out, so I took it back, arranged it neatly in his wallet and again handed it back. It was quite apparent that something was askew; I asked him if he'd like to come in the back and sit down and I'd get him a cool glass of water. Again he insisted he was fine and that his friend out in the car would take care of him. About the time I handed him his purchase and change, his cane fell to the floor and he clung to the counter top. I said, "Stay right there. I am going to come around and help you to your car." I scooted out to the lobby, and just as I reached him, he began to fall. I was able to stop him enough so that he gently leaned on the wall and slowly slumped to the floor without getting hurt. I shouted to another clerk to call 911 and asked a customer to go outside and find his friend. His face went blank and he started to breathe heavily and foam up at his mouth, drooling. Then he began moaning and his body stiffened and his eyes rolled back in his head. He was profusely sweating. I was pretty sure he was having a seizure, maybe a stroke. I unbuttoned his shirt, kept speaking to him softly and rubbing his shoulders just so he knew I was there. This went on for 2 or 3 minutes. Then, it all stopped and I thought for a few seconds that he was dying right there in front of me. Another clerk had come out there with me and was checking his pulse. It was very faint, but there. Then, his eyes opened and with great relief the EMTs arrived and took him away, but not before the gentleman pointed at me and said, "Thank you for helping me". I gave the money order to the man's friend. I am certain the man was unaware of what was going on during those few minutes before he opened his eyes, yet he knew I had helped him. I had to hold back the tears and it took several hours for me to fully calm down. Heard later from the hospital that they were running tests, but thought it was a stroke and that he was doing well. Thank God!
report to moderator

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - September 04 2011 :  5:20:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good you were quick enough "on your feet" Rich to recognize the problem, go out to help him, and have "someone else" call 9-1-1 while you did. No doubt prevented his falling to the floor by himself and possibly, and quite likely doing additional damage. - Unfortunately most people in that situation would tend to be observers, hoping others "would do something". Congrats on your quick thinking.

you can keep "The Change"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - September 04 2011 :  6:29:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Keep us posted if you hear any more on how he is doing.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 05 2011 :  10:03:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well done, Sachem. Well done, indeed. I hope that he is able to come walking in to the post office in a few weeks to show you that he is just fine.

I had a similar situation happen to me many years ago -- one of my customers when I was a hairdresser had a heart issue while in the beauty shop. Unfortunately, she didn't make it, but died in the hospital several hours later. It affected me greatly. So, I understand totally what you were feeling just afterward. I know that it was very hard to continue your job, with the adrenalin still affecting you and not knowing the outcome.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

IWLFNDU
Colonial Settler

IWLFNDU
USA

May 08 2010

Posted - September 09 2011 :  6:17:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Kudos to you, Rich, for keeping your cool and not being afraid to get involved. There's a reason you were the one helping him that day.

''Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realize that we cannot eat money.''

~ Cree Proverb

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - September 10 2011 :  12:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
What amazed me was that a post office that was crowded at the time this occurred had not a single customer offer to help in any way. They were just going about their business like nothing was going on.

The man was released from the hospital is all I know. I'll see him again, sooner or later.

Donna
Colonial Settler

last of the mohicans
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - September 12 2011 :  11:35:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Donna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's sad that no one else offered help. I'm happy that you
reacted in time.
The world's a better place with caring people like you..

Been onboard since 1998.

"Push hard, 'cos you got to clear the French outpost by dawn."

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - October 05 2011 :  10:24:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich, you're a saint! I'm sure the man you helped would say the same! We're proud of you Sachem!!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 17 2011 :  5:49:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm a firm believer in being at the right place at the right time and that man came to the right person for this particular time!

Glad you were able and quick enough to break his fall and assist him!!
  Previous Topic: Lordy, Lordy ... Look whos 4-T!! Topic Next Topic: Some Really Great News!  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.31 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07