The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
3/28/2024 8:15:49 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICANLAND: Community
 Bunkhouse Banter!
 Are You OK, WW?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Some Really Great News! Topic Next Topic: HI Mohicanland!!!!  

BookwormMG
Deerslayer

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
August 12 2009

Donating Member

Posted - September 08 2011 :  2:06:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just saw a CNN report that parts of Binghamton are being evacuated due to flooding. Stay safe, Joyce!

Harrisburg is virtually shut down, so I'm at home today and no doubt tomorrow as well. If the Susquehanna crests at 29 feet, it would be the third-highest ever.

"Glory, glory, hallelujah, welcome to the future!" -- Brad Paisley
report to moderator

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - September 08 2011 :  2:46:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
http://www.weather.com/weather/alerts/localalerts/USNY0124:1?phenomena=FL&significance=W&areaid=NYC007&office=KBGM&etn=0098

you can keep "The Change"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - September 09 2011 :  07:36:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/54806/more-photos-from-wednesdays-ho.asp

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 09 2011 :  1:46:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, I am OK. I am fortunate that my house is situated on a plateau that is high enough above the Chenango River that we are not affected.

This is just unbelievable. History-making. 20,000 people in my county had to be evacuated. Downtown Binghamton closed off and evacuated. Many, many homes, businesses, and schools are in the water. Boil water advisories in effect. Limited sewer use. Power outages and shutoffs. Incredible.

It's all over the Susquehanna River watershed, including all of the contributing rivers and streams. Devastating.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 09 2011 :  2:10:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This is the confluence of the Chenango River (upper) where it flows into the Susquehanna at downtown Binghamton. The water level is usually around 30 feet below those bridges. And btw... until about 4 years ago, I worked in a building that was sitting in the space between the white building that is under construction and the brick building.

Image Insert:

30.02 KB

This is a shopping center where I go to Sam's Club and WalMart.

Image Insert:

52.88 KB

One of the hospitals in the area, the one where my granddaughter was born. It is still open and operating.

Image Insert:

50.26 KB

The historic village of Owego, about 20 miles downstream from Binghamton.

Image Insert:

57.92 KB

And this... this is the ultimate horror.

Image Insert:

24.93 KB

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - September 09 2011 :  4:55:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Some truly tough looking pictures Joyce, - glad you're ok.

BookwormMG
Deerslayer

USA

August 12 2009

Donating Member

Posted - September 09 2011 :  6:27:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Glad to hear you're OK, Joyce! Tough-looking pictures, indeed. Maybe worse than Harrisburg, and Harrisburg's pretty bad. No fires that I'm aware of, though.

Seamus, how about you? I know you're well inland, but I don't know about the creeks where you live now.

"Glory, glory, hallelujah, welcome to the future!" -- Brad Paisley

IWLFNDU
Colonial Settler

IWLFNDU
USA

May 08 2010

Posted - September 09 2011 :  6:33:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Unbelievable, WW. Beyond words....

''Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realize that we cannot eat money.''

~ Cree Proverb

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - September 10 2011 :  12:47:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh my!

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - September 11 2011 :  09:34:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
We were not affected, Mary, except for ground water the sump handled well. Thanks for asking. Bridges, roads were closed and horrible devastation up near Jenny's school at rural Montoursville, however. Roads, bridges and homes wiped away. 150 kids in Jenny's school have no clothes, so the teachers are mounting a huge clothing drive for them.

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~
  Previous Topic: Some Really Great News! Topic Next Topic: HI Mohicanland!!!!  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.27 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07