The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/25/2024 2:40:45 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Movies, Movies, More Movies! Any Movies!
 Wes Studi Sighting
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: DDL - Age of Innocence Topic Next Topic: The Kings Speech  

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 05 2011 :  7:28:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been watching the new series on the AMC channel, "Hell On Wheels." Anybody else watching this? I wasn't going to because when I saw the previews, it didn't look like something I would like. But AMC showed a marathon of the first 4 episodes this weekend, and I started watching it. I sort of got hooked. It's rough and tough and dirty, but it is interesting. Some very good acting, and I really like Colm Meaney

I watched episode 5 last night -- it's on at 10 PM on Sunday nights. Lo and behold, there was Wes! He is playing Chief Many Horses, a Cheyenne, whose son Joseph has become a Christian and is living in Hell On Wheels (the name for the portable railroad tent city).

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - December 05 2011 :  8:41:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No, I haven't seen any of it WW, - but you make it sound interesting, ...
http://www.amctv.com/shows/hell-on-wheels

you can keep "The Change"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 06 2011 :  12:25:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I am betting you would like it, MG. It's gritty. The sets are incredible! That railroad camp looks so realistic that you just know it couldn't have been a fun way to live. The post Civil War time setting really portrays the political aspects of the time: freed slaves working alongside white men, who do so only because they have to, and the hatred between the two is well played.

I imagine that AMC will be doing a marathon again, so keep your eyes open, so you can watch it from the start.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - December 06 2011 :  3:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sounds good WW, - I will keep an eye out for it, ...

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - December 17 2011 :  12:49:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I will have to catch this ... from the series title, I had no idea. I thought it was some Ice Trucker spin-off, or something. Thanks for the heads-up!!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 17 2011 :  2:26:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
When I first saw the title, I immediately thought of Harley Bikers!!! I was surprised to find out it was really a Western.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - December 17 2011 :  4:26:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I saw it the other night. I wasn't very impressed. Just another made-for-TV series. But Wes was a bright spot in a sea of mediocrity.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 19 2011 :  7:01:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Interesting.

Well, if any one else wants to try it, they are running another marathon, beginning with the first episode on Sunday, Jan. 1 at 3 PM. I do realize that may conflict with football. Just thought I'd let you know.

IWLFNDU
Colonial Settler

IWLFNDU
USA

May 08 2010

Posted - December 21 2011 :  8:38:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think I'll give it a go, WW. Thanks for the heads up!

''Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realize that we cannot eat money.''

~ Cree Proverb

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - December 21 2011 :  8:43:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"I do realize that may conflict with football."
Damn, - always something. - Have an idea, I can see most of it that Sunday, - there are sooo many damn commercials in football, that I'll just flick back & forth. With one play & then about 15 minutes of commercials I'll get to see most of it.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 22 2011 :  06:38:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
~ laughing ~ I am so happy to learn that you will make the "supreme" sacrifice, MG! I know how much it will pain you to miss those commercials.

My problem is that when I try to do that, the commercials usually coincide with each other on each station. So, good luck!

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - December 22 2011 :  07:36:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
As the risk of taking this off-topic, I RARELY watch/listen to ANY commercials, can't stand them, - either hit "mute" or switch channels.

IWLFNDU
Colonial Settler

IWLFNDU
USA

May 08 2010

Posted - December 22 2011 :  7:59:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm with you, MG. Not to further derail the topic, but we have about a year to go until loud commercials finally get turned down. Can't wait. Loud commercials are incredibly annoying!

http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/loud-commercials

''Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realize that we cannot eat money.''

~ Cree Proverb

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - December 22 2011 :  8:04:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, - that's certainly good to hear. Truth is, in MOST cases I can't stand the content of about 98% of them, ... but lower volume is a good place to start. - Naturally, Washington has given a waiver to anyone shows it may be a problem. - Never the less, still an improvement. - thx.
Q: Are there any exceptions to the compliance date?
A: Yes. A one-year waiver of the effective date of the rules may be granted by the Commission to any TV station, cable operator or other MVPD that shows financial hardship in obtaining the equipment to comply with the new law. The Commission has authority to renew the waiver for one additional year.

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - January 01 2012 :  7:40:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ok, WW, ... that day has arrived. Football vs Hell On Wheels. I did what I said I would and watched HOW during footballs never ending parade of commercials. - What I saw I liked, like you said kinda gritty, - nice. Now to find a away to see what I missed, ... ;)

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - January 02 2012 :  4:28:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Two pet peeves: cell phones [abuse of] and freakin' COMMERCIALS!!

Anyway, I've seen a few episodes of this show. Definitely a well-done production, though they do shine a very ugly light on most white men.

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 19 2012 :  09:22:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I love Hell on Wheels. Watched right from the beginning and now purchased the First Season on DVD I am currently watching the second season which began last Sunday night. Great viewing for anyone who has not seen it. Favourite characters are Lily, Eva and Cullen but I love them all. Wes Studi is in it and the unusual character called the *Swede*..Watch it people :)

IG

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 19 2012 :  12:14:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, I am back with it, again!

The Swede is a fascinating character, isn't he? Scary fascinating. Very, very well played by Christopher Heyerdahl (yes, he's related to Thor Heyerdahl of Kon-Tiki fame). I love the almost hurt way he delivered the line, "But I'm Norwegian," as though he found it so befuddling that anyone could think he was Swedish.

Previous Topic: DDL - Age of Innocence Topic Next Topic: The Kings Speech  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.45 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07