The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/24/2024 4:21:33 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Movies, Movies, More Movies! Any Movies!
 War Horse 2011
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Last of the Mohicans TV series in the works?! Topic Next Topic: Rita Moreno at Oscars tonight!  

Dark Woods
Colonial Settler

Light House
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 18 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 29 2012 :  9:39:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Woods's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the trailer for this movie.

Anyone seen it? Comments?

We become what we think about.
report to moderator

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - March 01 2012 :  10:46:15 AM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi, Dark Woods!

If you saw E.T., Jaws, or even Schindler's List, you have a fairly good idea of what to expect - can you say, "Spielberg Movie"? As usual ( except for Jaws! ), there's GREAT attention paid to sets, costumes, and special effects - and also as usual ( except presumsbly for Schindler's ), holes in the plot big enough for a cavalry charge! ( Maybe Mann was "channeling" Spielberg when HE made Mohicans. ) Between a friend of mine who's read more about WWI and what I know about artillery, we've found a number of questionable features.

On the other hand, if you like stories with both action and interesting characters and ignore some of the details, it's certainly at least entertaining. Don't be misled by the previews - it's NOT an equine Lassie - "The story of a [ horse ] and the boy who loved him." Rather, it's an Oddesy of the horse, passing from "owner" to "owner", and how in true Spielberg fashion he brings out the best in them or ( usually but not always! ) good fortune. Also, despite the previews, it's surprisingly NOT a "war movie"; about the first quarter occurs on the farm. MOST of it does take place 1914 - 1918 though; and it's well to remember that it's occurring over a broad span of time - making the horse's survival all the less likely!

I recommend it as entertaining and about a period we hear and know far too little about, even if you need to check your disbeliefs and skepticism at the door.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

lane batot
Colonial Settler

USA

October 15 2011

Posted - March 01 2012 :  12:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I don't often break down and go to an actual theatre to see a movie(a coupla times a year, maybe?)--ridiculous cost(to a peasant like myself) is the main reason--but every once in awhile I DO like to see some spectacle on the BIG SCREEN, especially if it has lots of spectacular scenery and amazing effects--I found both in the movie "War Horse"! Being a total animal geek, I am particularly nit-picky on inaccurate, exagerrated, and impossible portrayals of critters by Hollywood--they RARELY get animal behaviour/facts correct! So I FULLY expected this movie to have a horse in the role of Lassie/Rin Tin Tin, but was SO pleasantly suprised that nothing was too unbelievably exagerrated--it really was a realistic horse-of-course character. And nothing like an innocent animal caught up in such conflict illustrates better the STUPIDITY, WASTE, and POINTLESSNESS of human warfare. Quite a sentimental movie(especially to anyone who has had a close relationship with an animal)--I blubbered a good bit throughout(Yeah, thanks for that, Mister Speilberg!), and spectacular scenes in grand old fashioned movie making style. I recommend it, for sure--an especially good one to see on the Big Screen......

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 02 2012 :  08:43:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Have tissues handy!

The movie is about 2 1/2 hours, but it moves right along. I really liked the movie and will likely watch it again...when in a sentimental mood. It was nominated for Best Picture this year also.

GG

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 02 2012 :  6:17:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I really wanted to see this in the theater, but I hate embarrassing myself by bawling like a baby in public. And I knew it would happen. So, I will rent it and watch it at home where I can cry in private.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Donna
Colonial Settler

last of the mohicans
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - March 10 2012 :  11:36:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Donna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I saw it on the big screen. The visuals are beautiful and the soundtrack is great. I found some of the dialog a bit "out there" and over the top. From the previews I expected the boy and horse to show more of a bond. I didn't get that feeling much. It just seemed the
horse was doing it's best to survive. It does provoke emotion when you
see the suffering throughout the movie. I didn't like not knowing
what happened to the girl. It was a good movie to see once, but I
wouldn't sit through it again.

Been onboard since 1998.

"Push hard, 'cos you got to clear the French outpost by dawn."

Dark Woods
Colonial Settler

Light House
USA

May 18 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 19 2019 :  7:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Woods's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I did watch it and I found it worthwhile--a movie that I consider well-worth seeing.

We become what we think about.
  Previous Topic: Last of the Mohicans TV series in the works?! Topic Next Topic: Rita Moreno at Oscars tonight!  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.28 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07