The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/4/2024 8:13:04 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Historical Sites!
 Historical Structures at Valley Forge
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: San Antonio Missions National Historical Park, Texas Topic Next Topic: King of Prussia Tavern, Pennsylvania  

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 24 2007

Posted - November 05 2012 :  8:15:08 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If there is no statue of George Washington at Valley Forge, his presence may still be felt at the home of Quaker preacher Isacc Potts which served as his headquarters for most of the time the army was encamped there. As previously noted, Washington chose to remain "under canvas" until all his troops were relatively secure in their huts; it wasn't until well into Jan., 1778 that happened. Once settled here, he was again joined by his wife Martha, who made a practice of traveling each year to spend the winter with her husband.

Image Insert:

87.59 KB
The Potts House is quite small to have been the scene of a lot of activity as Washington's headquarters; note the Commander-in-Chief's personal flag.

Image Insert:

46.92 KB
This room on the first floor is set up as Washington's private office as it probably looked at the time, though the total lack of "window dressing" throughout on this floor is surprising.

Image Insert:

45.21 KB
An adjoining room as it would have been used by the headquarters staff of secretaries and aides like Alexander Hamilton.

Image Insert:

48.6 KB
This first-floor room is set up as living quarters for Washington's aide-de-camp's.

Image Insert:

48.13 KB
George and Martha's bedchamber; at least there are curtains on these windows!

The small and generally cramped quarters here make the story of Charles Lee's indiscretion all the more remarkable. Upon his release in exchange for British General Richard Prescott, captured in his Rhode Island quarters expressly for the purpose, Washington's second-in-command recieved a warm welcome that included the offer to use a ( very ) small room at the back of the already crowded Potts house. ( If the staff had known of the double-dealing Lee was comitting while a prisoner in New York and Philadelphia before his release he would've likely gotten a bit different reception. ) Never one to fail to take advantage of the situation, Lee supposedly proceeded to sneak into his room here the obliging wife of a British sergeant he had picked up as his mistress sometime during his adventures as a prisoner! Of course, Lee's exploits were to end all-too-soon at the Battle of Monmouth, where his pessimism collided directly with the army's new professionalism made possible here at Valley Forge by von Steuben.
report to moderator

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - November 05 2012 :  9:11:05 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
In addition to the Isacc Potts house, several other homes in the area served as quarters for various members of the high command; most are private residences still, but a few on the grounds of the National Park may be seen, such as these:

Image Insert:

86.56 KB
Another small fieldstone house near Washington's served as quarters for Brig. Gen. James Varnum, commander of one of the army's brigades here.

Image Insert:

58.86 KB
The quarters of army artillery commander Brig. Gen. Henry Knox and his wife are now a park employee residence.

Image Insert:

71.17 KB
Just outside the National Park boundary are several other important houses, this one the quarters of New Jersey Maj. Gen. William Alexander, "Lord Stirling", one of Washington's division commanders.

Image Insert:

72.49 KB

Unquestionably the most disgusting and disturbing thing I saw on my entire visit, however, was this sad and forlorn stone building above and below, only a short distance from Valley Forge. Today King of Prussia, PA, is known as a junction of interstate highways and turnpikes and home to a huge regional mall of the same name; 235 years ago, THIS was the historic King of Prussia inn and tavern! It was here that officers of the Continental Army met for their Masonic gatherings and it may also have been here that the Society of the Cincinnatti was born.

Highway developers can be just as thoughtless and unfeeling automatons focused soley on their tasks at hand as those who wantonly destroy our heritage for profit; that accounts for the fate of this fine old fieldstone structure. Isolated by highways and onramps and inaccessable behind a chain-link fence choked with weeds and trash, the unrestored and empty tavern sits here with an uncertain future. Somehow thwarted in its destruction, the developers have at least made it unusable to anyone else, no doubt to their own satisfaction if not gratification. There have since my visit fifteen years ago been proposals to dismantle it for removal and reconstruction on another site, but I don't know if anything ever came of that.

Image Insert:

84.11 KB
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 06 2012 :  5:41:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
James, I think this will make you feel a whole lot better about the old Inn!

The King of Prussia Inn and Tavern

It is alive and well and looking gorgeous! It was moved in 2000. Be sure to read through the above website for more information about the move.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - November 06 2012 :  7:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks, WW! I'd hoped this latest series of mine would stir up a little interest and also answer some of my questions about how these places have fared since my visit. I'm also curious about the fate of the ancient trees at Whitemarsh and Lafayette's quarters at Brandywine; occurrances like those of the past week's hurricane always put me in dread for our historical sites. I'm glad to see the King of Prussia has been "rescued" from its ignoble fate, even if that meant moving it!

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - October 06 2018 :  11:07:44 AM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Image Insert:

798.3 KB

During my 2015 revisit to the Philadelphia region I managed to return to Valley Forge; here are a few more recent photos of the structures there like Washington's Headquarters in the Isacc Potts House, showing the front above and the rear below.

Image Insert:

592.84 KB

Following are more photos of the interior of the house, furnished to appear that the General and his staff had just "stepped out."

Image Insert:

318.92 KB

Image Insert:

314.27 KB

Image Insert:

377.36 KB

Image Insert:

294.09 KB

Below, a better look at the little stone house that served as the Quarters of Brig. Gen. James Varnum:

Image Insert:

894.63 KB

I've previously reported on the satisfactory outcome of my discovery of the current location of the moved and restored King of Prussia Tavern in another thread, but here's its photo again for completion of this one:

Image Insert:

617.74 KB

Previous Topic: San Antonio Missions National Historical Park, Texas Topic Next Topic: King of Prussia Tavern, Pennsylvania  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.22 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07