The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/18/2024 8:08:04 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The French & Indian War
 French Commander to Govner Dinwiddie, ...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Scalping during the French & Indian War, .... Topic Next Topic: A journal of the attacks on Fort William Henry, ....  

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
March 14 2005

Posted - November 17 2013 :  2:22:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The French Commander's Reply to Governor Dinwiddie, December, 1753.

[December 15, 1753]

Sir,

As I have the honor of commanding here in chief, Mr. Washington delivered me the letter which you wrote to the Commander of the French troops. I should have been glad if you had given him orders, or he had been inclined, to proceed to Canada to see our general, to whom it belongs, rather than to me, to set forth evidence of the incontestable rights of the King, my master, to the lands situated along the Ohio, and to contest the pretensions of the King of Great Britain thereto.

I shall transmit your letter to the Marquis du Quesne. His reply will be a law to me, and, if he order me to communicate it to you, Sir, you may be assured that I shall dispatch it forthwith.

As to the summons you send me to retire, I do not think myself obliged to obey it. Whatever may be your instructions, mine bring me here by my general's order; and I entreat you, Sir, to be assured that I shall attempt to follow them with all the exactness and determination which can be expected from a good officer.

I do not know that anything has happened during the course of this campaign which can be construed as an act of hostility, or as contrary to the treaties between the two Crowns; the continuation whereof, interests and pleases us as much as it does the English. If you had been pleased to go into detail regarding the facts which caused your complaints, I should have had the honor of answering you in the most satisfactory manner possible for me.

I have made it a duty to treat Mr. Washington with all the respect owing to your dignity and his personal merit, and I flatter myself, Sir, that he will do me the justice to be my witness for it with you, as well as the evidences of deep respect with which

I have the honor to be,
Sir,
Your very humble and very obedient servant,

LEGARDEUR DE SAINT-PIERRE

From the fort on the Riviere aux Boeufs,
December 15, 1753

you can keep "The Change"
report to moderator
  Previous Topic: Scalping during the French & Indian War, .... Topic Next Topic: A journal of the attacks on Fort William Henry, ....  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.14 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07