The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/26/2024 3:13:22 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 Hiking the Crown Point Road ...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Donegal Township Riflemen ... Topic Next Topic: The Sarge Remembers...  

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
March 14 2005

Posted - August 10 2014 :  5:32:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is from Fort No. 4 ... Charlestown, N.H.
http://www.fortat4.org/
The Crown Point Road
End-To-End Hike - September 2014

Join Us on Saturday, September 13th, at New Hampshire Marker #1 as we join members of the Crown Point Road Association for a walk along Historic Crown Point Road from New Hampshire Marker #1 to New Hampshire Marker # 7.
For the more adventurous, you may continue along with members of the CPRA as they follow the Crown Point Road to Vermont Marker#64 , finally reaching Fort Crown Point, New York.

A Note from Rebecca Tucker, organizer of this year's End-to-End Hike: I’m trying to keep the hike down to less than 10 miles per day. We’ll be walking on public roads as well as through the woods on old trails. - You don’t have to camp, but can do each day’s walk as it pleases you, just be sure to check each day about where we’ll stop, and the route we’ll take. Bring food, water, and wear your best hikers.

Eighteenth century clothing is not required, but there will be many of us who wear it.

My phone is 802-885-4686, my email is rwctucker@aol.com (My cell phone on the hike itself 802-738-5579 –if there’s service)
NH markers - ** DAY 1 Saturday, September 13, 2014

Meet at NH Marker #1 on Main Street, Charlestown NH at 9:30
Begin walking the Crown Point Road at 10:00, following New Hampshire Markers #1 through #7
** DAY 1 - Continues on the Vermont Side of the River. You may use the Cheshire Bridge to get to Vermont Marker #1. Or SHOULD You Wish to be Ferried Across as Part of the Today's Act ivies, PLEASE CALL or EMAIL Rebecca Tucker 802-885-4686 rwctucker@aol.com to make arrangements.

Onto Vermont Markers #1 - on the Vermont Side of the Connecticut River off of VT RT 5 in Springfield Vermont, through the woods, under Interstate 91 and onto Vermont Marker #3
Hikers who plan to camp will be stopping for the evening at Keith Fergusons on Spencer Hollow Road, Springfield, Vermont. Ferguson's has tent sites, toilets, water, a brook, fire rings, and a dining shelter, and will take a donation to cover electricity, etc.

The rest of the End-To-End Hike Itinerary is as follows:

** DAY 2 Sunday September 14, 2014

Meet at Ferguson’s on Spencer Hollow Road, Springfield.
From Marker #4 on Crown Point Road Springfield, we’ll travel in the Eureka Section of Springfield, Barlow Road, Town Farm road to Weathersfield near Wellwood Orchards
Stop for the day at Marker #17 Grout Cemetery - Overnight at the nearby Crown Point Campground. - Weathersfield hikers will join us at Crown Point Country Club (Weathersfield-Springfield border) and accompany us through town Weathersfield Historical Society has promised a potluck supper for us this evening
The Campground at 131 Bishop Road, Weathersfield, phone number is 802-263-5555 – Bonnie and Shawn Crumb. Their rates are $30 a night (for one tent 2 adults 2 children) Tell them you are with the CPRA group, as they said they’d save some sites together for us.

** DAY 3 Monday September 15, 2014

From Grout Cemetery, Weathersfield to Brook Road in Cavendish near the home of Jim and Kathy Zimmer. - We’ll cross the stone wall behind the Plain Cemetery and walk by a good trail to the Branch Brook and cross it here near the original ten-mile Marker #18. - Then follow Branch Brook road into Amsden and visit the 11-mile Marker. Then it’s across Route 106 at the Weathersfield Transfer Station and up the hill into the woods to the top of Greenbush Road in Cavendish at Marker 24 (Payne’s Tavern location) - Then we’ll follow West Road to Field Hill and arrive on Brook Road and the Zimmer place.

** DAY 4 Tuesday, September 16, 2014

We'll walk from Brook Road, Cavendish to Chapman Road, Ludlow. - Beginning at Simmers' we’ll go through the woods and visit the grave and marker of an unknown french and Indian War soldier near Marker #29. - Then up Tracer Brook Road, down through the woods from the Coffeen Cemetery (Marker #29A) to 20-Mile Stream Road and campground and end at Chapman Road in Ludlow, Marker #32A
We’ll overnight at Meadowbrook Campground at the 20-Mile Camp location
Belle McKnight has running water, pit toilets, a dining shelter and space for tents. There’s also a pond. She asks that we make a donation for the stay. 802-226-7755

** DAY 5 Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Today we'll begin at Chapman Road, Ludlow (Marker 32A)and hike through Plymouth, by Camp Plymouth State Park. - From Crown Point Road in Plymouth, we’ll take the trail over Saltash Mountain and visit the grave of the Unknown Revolutionary Soldier there. - Pass by Lake Ninevah. - And perhaps skirt Proctor Hill on our way to MT Holly
Onto Kyle Perry’s farm in Mount Holly at the so-called Halfway Camp (Marker #34A) used during the Revolution

** DAY 6 Thursday, September 18, 2014

From Kyle Perry’s on Perry Road in MT Holly to Shrewsbury.- Starting near the location of the Halfway Camp during the Revolution (Marker #34A) we’ll walk through Shrewsbury, along an old section of the CPR, and end our day at Shrewsbury Community Church in Center Shrewsbury. - Those who care to camp over are invited to do so at home of Barry and Barbara Griffith. They have both toilet and shower available.

** DAY 7 Friday, September 19, 2014

Beginning at the Shrewsbury Community Church to 3561 Creek Road, Clarendon. - We’ll walk downhill for a change, and enter the Otter Creek valley. There will be woods walking to Vermont Marker #38 on Route 103 where the Long Trail, and Green Mountain Railroad cross 103.
We’ll continue on to Clarendon, and stop at the home of Jon and Cynthia Readnour on Creek Road. - Becky Tucker needs to know how many are camping over ahead of time in order to notify the hosts of our numbers 802-885-4686 rwctucker@aol.com

** DAY 8 Saturday, September 20, 2014

From Readnours’ up Creek Road to Center Rutland ending day near Beaver Pond on the Florence Road in Proctor. - We’ll pass by Al Ransom’s Marker #41A on Creek Road, continue onto Center Rutland via Campbell Road. - Here we’ll visit Mead’s Falls on the Otter Creek, and Marker #42.
Then Marker #43 the site of Mead’s Tavern on the West Proctor Road. - On West Street Proctor we’ll travel through the village and end the day’s walk near Marker 44A near Beaver Pond Road.
Overnight will be at Jim Moore’s in the Garden of Eden, Proctor nearby.

** DAY 9 Sunday, September 21, 2014

Beaver Pond, Proctor to Pittsford and Hammond Bridge (To be decided)

DAY 10 Monday, September 22, 2014

DAY 11 Tuesday, September 23, 2014

DAY 12 Wednesday, September 24, 2014

DAY 13 Thursday, September 25, 2014

DAY 14 Friday, September 26, 2014

Cross the beautiful new Champlain Bridge and arrive at the Fort in Crown Point NY. - We can arrive on Saturday, also, but Fort Crown Point (once the site of Fort Saint Fredericks) is closed on Thursdays, according to Director Tom Hughes
My Kingdom to be a tad younger ... Great time of year, great scenery, good company - what else could one ask for???

you can keep "The Change"
report to moderator

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 11 2014 :  07:49:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
There was an event at Crown Point last weekend. I really hated to have to miss that one!

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - August 11 2014 :  10:28:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
How have you been feeling Fitz?? - Still making the events you want/need to??? ...

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 11 2014 :  3:00:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Doing fine, really, but now I have to travel by myself and that 18-hour drive is a long one! And my daughters have asked for some help at times, so I have been doing things closer to home. I still plan to go to Fort Fred in a couple of weeks.

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - August 11 2014 :  3:13:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Know what you're saying - I would love to join this hike, but, ... Still in pretty good shape (for my age) but this hike might be kinda pushing it. That's nice country in late September ...

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 11 2014 :  7:08:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I went up to Linville Gorge this July and hiked the mountains most of the day. My knees were feeling pretty good for the first couple of hours, then I was reminded why I gave up playing tennis!

Linville Gorge is where some of the scenes from LOTM were filmed, most famously the "George Road Ambush" and the final scene with Means, Day-Lewis and Stowe. Of course neither Rich nor Soldier #2 were there.

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - August 12 2014 :  8:46:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"Of course neither Rich nor Soldier #2 were there"
Next time give them a call - Rich could probably use the exercise ... ;)

Dave T
Pathfinder

August 11 2010

Posted - August 13 2014 :  12:04:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Fitzhugh
Sorry you couldn't make it to Crown Point this weekend, but I did think of you (really!).
It was a beautiful weekend, the event included Sat and Sun morning skirmishes (read ass-kickings by the French) at Chimney Point in VT. We marched over the bridge each morning, though some opted to go by bateau. . .
The Pequawket Alliance was there en masse; together with the Regulars us Brits were outnumbered easily by 2 to 1. Kind of like too few to fight, and too many to die. . .

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 13 2014 :  08:28:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Monadnock Guide

Soldier #2 is usually there. His clan was represented well! But Rich? Aka Rich the Hermit? "Will there be anything left to show the world that he ever did exist?"

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 13 2014 :  08:30:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dave T

Hi Fitzhugh
Sorry you couldn't make it to Crown Point this weekend, but I did think of you (really!).
It was a beautiful weekend, the event included Sat and Sun morning skirmishes (read ass-kickings by the French) at Chimney Point in VT. We marched over the bridge each morning, though some opted to go by bateau. . .
The Pequawket Alliance was there en masse; together with the Regulars us Brits were outnumbered easily by 2 to 1. Kind of like too few to fight, and too many to die. . .

One problem I have is that two of my favorite events are on the same weekend. Crown Point and Pemaquid. Of course I didn't make either. But if I could have made one, I really don't know which one I would have chosen.

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - August 13 2014 :  09:31:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The weather in Northern New England was great last weekend with Pemaquid included I'm sure, ...
http://www.parttimevagabond.com/2013/09/celebrating-olde-bristol-days-at-colonial-pemaquid-bristol-maine/
When Olde Bristol Days isn’t happening, Colonial Pemaquid and Fort William Henry is a 17th century period archeological site, with a plethora of historical artifacts quite literally littering the grounds. Stone building foundations dot the area, with many more still buried under the grass and dirt. It’s sad that there isn’t more funding allotted to the park for more archeological digging, restoration, and preservation, but what is there is fantastic. Park rangers are knowledgeable about the history of the park, and are always available to answer questions. It’s a really cool site.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 13 2014 :  11:07:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I understand that the Olde Bristol Days will be moved to July next year so that should be an improvement for the Pemaquid event. The last time I was there was in 2011 and I would really like to go back.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 16 2014 :  1:44:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzhugh Williams

quote:
Originally posted by Monadnock Guide

Soldier #2 is usually there. His clan was represented well! But Rich? Aka Rich the Hermit? "Will there be anything left to show the world that he ever did exist?"

I left some graffiti in my locker at the PO ... that's my legacy. Oh, and then there's the matter of some 10 kids!!

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 16 2014 :  2:26:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ya know, Linville is just right up the road!!!

Previous Topic: Donegal Township Riflemen ... Topic Next Topic: The Sarge Remembers...  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.41 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07