The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/3/2024 12:28:09 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 General connections
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: 7 Things You Never Knew About The Last of the Mohicans Topic Next Topic: N. C. Weyth Home and Studio at Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania  

Diana
Pioneer

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 18 2002

Posted - February 12 2016 :  12:56:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone:

Haven't been here in quite a while. Anyhoo, I thought I would pass on something I saw on PBS the other night. This is Season 3 of that 'Finding Your Roots'. This episode had John McCain, Julianne Moore and Patricia Arquette. What I thought would appeal to you is that Ms Arquette is directly descended from a British soldier who fought at Ft. William Henry in 1757 and also survived the massacre.

One other thing is that Sen McCain is descended from a John Washington who lived the 1600s and is a cousin of Geo Washington.

Genealogy is quite fascinating. Adds a lot of relevance to history.

Best regards,

Diana
report to moderator

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - February 14 2016 :  4:43:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Interesting info Diana - thx. ... It escapes me now - but what's that idea that in someway we're all related???

you can keep "The Change"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Diana
Pioneer

May 18 2002

Posted - February 18 2016 :  4:10:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
MG--I agree. So, whether you look at it as an 'evolutionist' or as descendants of Adam (via Noah and thus: Ham, Shem and Japeth), we are connected. Its the journey between then and now that is fascinating.

By the way, I also saw that the Ice Man that they found in the frozen in the Alps is genetically closely related to the people who have been living on Sardinia for thousands of years.

Cheers!

Diana

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - February 18 2016 :  4:47:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
http://io9.gizmodo.com/5791530/why-humans-all-much-more-related-than-you-think
When we get right down to it, we must face the truth that we're all hopelessly inbred. It's a question of basic mathematics - there simply aren't enough ancestors to go around. To understand what I mean, let's say you were born in 1975, your parents were both born in 1950, your four grandparents were born in 1925, your eight great-grandparents in 1900, and so on. In other words, your number of ancestors doubles every 25 years the further back in time you go.

If you take this back just 1,000 years, you'll find that you have well over 500 billion ancestors in a single generation. Considering there's fewer than seven billion people on this planet - and even that is far, far more than any other point in human history - there's something seriously wrong here. The solution, of course, is that you don't have 500 billion distinct ancestors, but rather a much, much smaller number of ancestors reappear over and over and over again in your family tree.

Figuring out just how many of your ancestors in a given generation were "real" and how many were duplicates can make for some fascinating statistics:

Diana
Pioneer

May 18 2002

Posted - February 19 2016 :  1:33:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No arguments here.

Back to my first point, Ms. Arquette's ancestor was at Fort William Henry in 1757. Highly relevant in that this website and LOTM is about that conflict.

All the best.

Diana

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - February 19 2016 :  2:26:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Spot on Diana ...

Previous Topic: 7 Things You Never Knew About The Last of the Mohicans Topic Next Topic: N. C. Weyth Home and Studio at Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.28 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07