The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/16/2024 4:49:21 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The LIGHT IN THE FOREST
 In the News ...
 Lest we forget - 75 years ago today ...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: 4th Of July 2019 ... Topic Next Topic: Facebook et al ...  

Monadnock Hiker
Colonial Militia

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
August 31 2017

Posted - June 06 2019 :  10:44:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.dday-anniversary.com/
http://www.dday-anniversary.com/images/_tabs/paratroopers-filthy-thirteen-prepare-for-d-day.jpg
Ok, Let's go!" - the immortal words of General Dwight D. Eisenhower were spoken at Southwick House, setting in motion the greatest combined operation of all time.

Step back in time at the Southwick Village D-Day Revival. For the sixth consecutive year, the small Hampshire village of Southwick will be transformed back to 1944, as the whole village puts their heart and soul into the spirit of living history.

Optional tours to the famous Southwick House D-Day map room will be available, but book early as these are very popular. The Battle of Britain Memoral Flight, walking history tours, history talks, Tiger Moth aircraft display, period funfair, wartime vehicles, 1940's school lesson, sing-alongs, swing dance lessons and live music are just some of the events planned for 2019.
report to moderator

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - June 07 2019 :  07:56:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
There must have been some really great events yesterday. I would like to have attended some of them.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Monadnock Hiker
Colonial Militia

August 31 2017

Posted - June 07 2019 :  08:20:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ditto - the ones in France were probably the most impressive, would have enjoyed it. My father, several uncles and a cousin fought in WWII ... almost never said a word about it.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - June 08 2019 :  08:48:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I had a cousin who was killed flying a P-47 in preparation for D-Day. I had an uncle who landed in North Africa in 1942 and fought the entire war in Sicily, Italy, and Western Europe. He had some good stories. I used to wonder if they could all be true until I found newspaper articles from the time. Yes, all true. He had a small collection of things he had captured. He gave me one thing and I wonder what happened to the rest after he died. I hope whoever got them appreciates what they were.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - June 08 2019 :  3:50:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"I first began to appreciate fully all we owed the World War II generation while I was covering the fortieth and fiftieth anniversaries of D-Day for NBC News. When I wrote in 'The Greatest Generation' about the men and women who came out of the Depression, who won great victories and made lasting sacrifices in World War II and then returned home to begin building the world we have today--the people I called the Greatest Generation--it was my way of saying thank you. I felt that this tribute was long overdue, but I was not prepared for the avalanche of letters and responses touched off by that book. Members of that generation were, characteristically, grateful for the attention and modest about their own lives as they shared more remarkable stories about their experiences in the Depression and during the war years. Their children and grandchildren were eager to share the lessons and insights they gained from the stories they heard about the lives of a generation now passing on too swiftly. They wanted to say thank you in their own way. I had wanted to write a book about America, and now America was writing back. The letters, many of them written in firm Palmer penmanship on flowered stationery, have given me a much richer understanding not only of those difficult years but also of my own life. They give us new, intensely personal perspectives of a momentous time in our history. They are the voices of a generation that has given so much and wants to share even more. Some of the letters were written from the front during the war, or from families to their loved ones in harm's way in distant places. There were firsthand accounts of battles and poignant reflections on loneliness, exuberant expressions of love and somber accounts of loss. It seems that everyone in that generation has something worthwhile to contribute, and so we have included some pages in The Greatest Generation Speaks for others to share memories … " ~~ Tom Brokaw

The Greatest Generation Speaks: Letters & Reflections

Monadnock Hiker
Colonial Militia

August 31 2017

Posted - June 08 2019 :  7:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
North Africa - I had an uncle that was in N. Africa at that time (my fathers brother) ... Most other relatives were in the Navy in the Pacific.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBwYrJ5XzG4
  Previous Topic: 4th Of July 2019 ... Topic Next Topic: Facebook et al ...  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.28 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07