The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/26/2024 5:50:54 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The French & Indian War
 Fort Bedford ...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Fort Garrison ... Topic Next Topic: F&I War - Snowshoe companies ...  

Monadnock Hiker
Colonial Militia

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
August 31 2017

Posted - July 28 2020 :  2:34:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REFtsfH25w8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu_6ux5EWII
Military history
Fort Bedford has been described as the "Grand Central Station of the Forbes campaign" during the French and Indian War. It was used as a staging ground and central storage area for the British Army's push westward towards the French garrisons. Colonel Bouquet and General Forbes used it as their headquarters for portions of the campaign. After the bulk of the army moved westward, the fort was garrisoned by about 800 men. The fort saw little action during the war and was used mainly as a forward supply base.

As the French and Indian War wound down in the frontier, the fort's garrison was moved to other forts. Captain Lewis Ourry, in command of the fort at the outbreak of Pontiac's War, listed just twelve Royal Americans on his roster to guard the fort and more than 90 local families. Despite the weakness of the garrison, the fort was not directly attacked by native warriors. Instead they raided several local settlements and attacked supply trains bound for the fort, apparently hoping to starve out the garrison. The arrival of reinforcements under Colonel Bouquet in July 1763 ended most of the local raiding.

Details of the fort during the inter-war years are sketchy and controversial. The British Army abandoned the fort sometime during this period. According to the autobiography of James Smith, leader of a colonial movement known as the "Black Boys", he and his men captured the fort in 1769. This incident is documented only in Smith's autobiography, so it may be a tall tale, although historian Gregory Evans Dowd (War Under Heaven: Pontiac, the Indian Nations, & the British Empire, 2002) notes that there is some corroborating evidence, and that some other historians believe the tale to be true. Smith called this the first British fort to fall in the era of the American Revolution. The incident was portrayed in the 1939 Hollywood film Allegheny Uprising, starring John Wayne as James Smith.

The fort was garrisoned by the Patriot-sympathizing Bedford County militia during the Revolutionary War. The fort guarded the frontier settlers against raids by British-allied native bands.
report to moderator

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - July 29 2020 :  07:12:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Never been there, but it is very near Old Bedford Village. In 2005, the 250th anniversary of Braddock's Defeat, a reenactment was held there with the Juanita being used in place of the Monongahela. It was a great event and I have always wanted to get back to that area. I go to Ligonier every year and I guess I could just return by way of Bedford. But I never seem to have the time.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Monadnock Hiker
Colonial Militia

August 31 2017

Posted - July 29 2020 :  4:00:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well - if you do manage to "return by Bedford" this year - how about snapping a few pics & posting them? - I've been looking into the forts that were part of the F&I war ... There's actually quite few, but only a few are well known. - That's probably due to location & any reenactments done there.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - July 30 2020 :  05:50:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Not very likely I will be returning this year. Everything has been cancelled. And in a discussion with some friends last night, the general consensus is that no one wants to stay in a motel this year. The bad thing is I kind of like the Braddock Inn near Cumberland, MD. It sort of my "go to" place for lodging when I am seeing the sights in southern PA.

I have a book you might be interested in about forts in PA. I will look it up for you.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 14 2020 :  11:59:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I finally found the book I mentioned. It is called "Outposts of the War for Empire" by Charles Morse Stotz. It goes into great depth about the F&I War in the PA area and the forts constructed by the French, British and Colonial governments. I have not taken the time to sit down and read the whole thing, but it seems to me the kind of book you read when you are going to a particular fort and want in depth information about it. It is particularly detailed on Fort Ligonier and its reconstruction.

Monadnock Hiker
Colonial Militia

August 31 2017

Posted - August 15 2020 :  2:14:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
https://www.amazon.com/Outposts-War-Empire-Pennsylvania-1749-1764/dp/0822942623
From the Back Cover
"Charles Morse Stotz was an architect first and historian second, which makes his history of the frontier forts of Western Pennsylvania particularly valuable. . . . Stotz combines his considerable knowledge of how forts were built to paint a vivid picture of the hardships, logistical nightmares and physical dangers involved in building and maintaining a safe place in the 18th century Western Pennsylvania wilderness. . . . It is 'must' reading for anyone whose interest in Pittsburgh's earliest history goes beyond popular stereotypes and truisms."--Pittsburgh Press
"In a series of magnificent and accurate perspective drawings, [Stotz] shows the forts as originally constructed. . . . [and offers an] accurate picture of what frontier life was like."--Greensburg Tribune-Review

About the Author
Charles Morse Stotz, through his work on the excavation and reconstruction of Fort Ligonier and Fort Pitt, became one of the country's foremost experts on the design of colonial forts. He restored and reconstructed many other early American buildings and wrote extensively on architecture and historic restoration, including The Early Architecture of Western Pennsylvania (1936, reissued 1995).
Looks like you have quite a book there Fitz, ... For quite a number of years now - I've read primarily "first person accounts" of history, kinda like journals, diaries, logs etc. - instead of books written by a second or even third party. - Someone that was not actually involved in what they've written about. - Much of what is taught today or reported on - is not always complete - a lot of "interesting events" are either embellished or left out to suit the author.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 16 2020 :  08:02:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I know what you mean. I have managed to find some of the original letters regarding the events at Jumonville's Glenn. They were preserved and scanned into a Canadien data base. They can be downloaded and printed. I have been translating then from the 18th century French. The choice of words, spelling, and handwriting make this a "fun" undertaking. It seems to me that the place and circumstances under which an account was written play as much a part as the actual events.

Monadnock Hiker
Colonial Militia

August 31 2017

Posted - August 16 2020 :  7:33:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
There was a publisher that only printed books that were based on "first person accounts" ... great books, some fascinating stuff.. - It was called "Narrative Press" .. unfortunately they shut-down, lack of interest maybe .... dunno, but they put out some great material. .... If you happen to see any, (used) - depending on the subject of course, I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 17 2020 :  06:40:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks. I will watch out for it. Some years ago, when I was at Fort Ligonier one summer, I bought a copy of the memoirs of Pierre Pouchot but I have never had the time to sit down and read the whole thing. That is something I need to do.

Monadnock Hiker
Colonial Militia

August 31 2017

Posted - August 17 2020 :  7:16:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Don't believe it - but I just found it. ... Doubt they have anything about the F&I War unfortunately. - https://narrativepress.com/
https://narrativepress.com/product-category/mountain-men/
https://narrativepress.com/product-category/american-west/
Dear Reader,

The Narrative Press publishes only true, first-person accounts of historical adventure and exploration. We now publish over 100 titles – all are high-quality, newly-typset paperbacks.

Most of these adventures are classics, about people and places now long gone. They take place all over the world – in Africa, South America, the Arctic and Antarctic, in America, on islands everywhere, and on the open seas.

Some of our authors are famous – Ernest Shackleton, Kit Carson, Henry Stanley, David Livingston, John Muir, Richard Burton, Teddy Roosevelt, Charles Darwin, Jack London, and Buffalo Bill, just to name a few.

Every one of these books is a great story, and every one of them is true: the author is a real person who is telling us what he or she saw, did, and felt under extraordinary circumstances.

Sincerely,

Vickie Zimmer
Editor
  Previous Topic: Fort Garrison ... Topic Next Topic: F&I War - Snowshoe companies ...  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.28 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07