The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/3/2024 3:19:41 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Hawkeye's Rifle
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Burial Ground Topic Next Topic: Daniel Day Lewis learns to shoot ..  

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
July 17 2005

Posted - February 11 2021 :  07:58:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich, maybe you know this. How many rifles did Wayne Watson make for the LOTM movie? It must have been more than one. For instance, in Indiana Jones Raiders movie there were some 48 jackets made. Some for stunt doubles, some because the movie was not shot out of sequence, some in case of damage, etc. So Hawkeye must have had more than one rifle. Any damage to it would have stopped the filming while it was being repaired. Or even just cleaned. I can't see Michael Mann letting that happen. So maybe you know. Just how many were there?

PS: When I go to events I carry at least two guns, sometimes three. Just in case.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"
report to moderator

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - February 13 2021 :  1:41:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's the kind of question I could've answered 20-25 years ago, Fitz. To the best of my recollection, I think he had several ... more than 1, but it's all a haze. I think he had one main rifle, another lighter one to run around with. Ask me something simple, like "how many states are there in the US?" 13, right? :-)
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - February 14 2021 :  08:23:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"how many states are there in the US?" 13, right? :-)

I heard it was 57 a few years ago.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - February 14 2021 :  08:37:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
On Facebook, someone posted a picture of Wayne Watson holding two guns with no explanation and someone mentioned they were from LOTM. It takes a while to build a gun, so I wondered how many were actually built. If one was accidentally damaged, and the other needed to be cleaned because of all the re-takes, it could literally stop the filming, something that Michael Mann would not tolerate.

Then I tried to think of how many times Hawkeye actually fired the gun in the filming. What I got was (1)the hunting scene at the first of the movie, (2)the ambush on the George Road (3)when the runner was sent to Fort Edward (4)when he shoots Duncan. That's not a lot. So maybe two guns were enough.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - February 14 2021 :  3:09:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Two more come immediately to mind: at Massacre Valley and on the Cliff Trail at CRP ... oh, and as they are fleeing to the canoes

Monadnock Hiker
Colonial Militia

August 31 2017

Posted - February 14 2021 :  3:50:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Looking back at how things have gone ... maybe stopping at 13 states would have the best approach. - Fitz, the folks in DC are working on making DC & Puerto Rico states ASAP ... probably looking at a few other places as we speak. - So we might blow right past 57 if it can be arranged.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - February 15 2021 :  08:12:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You are right, Rich. And it was twice at the cliffs. Plus a couple with other people's guns. I used the repeat function on my software to replay it over and over. It seems like his pan flashes every time. Although, when he fires the two guns at the same time, the flash and smoke from the Huron's gun obscures the rifle's so it is hard to tell.

One time I took my granddaughter to the range and let her shoot my rifle while held it in both my hands. I only loaded 30 grains of powder. I usually load 50 of more. It was all I could do to keep the gun from recoiling into her shoulder. Now, with a large load, and one gun in each hand, Hawkeye shows no noticeable effects from any recoil. How did he do that???

Previous Topic: Burial Ground Topic Next Topic: Daniel Day Lewis learns to shoot ..  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.25 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07