The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/23/2024 1:10:35 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The French & Indian War
 Effective range of a smoothbore flintlock ...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Fort Stanwix ... Topic Next Topic: Fort at No. 4 - Winter Weekend ...  

Monadnock Hiker
Colonial Militia

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
August 31 2017

Posted - September 02 2021 :  7:44:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyiEkfW9mCs
Smoothbore good to 100 yards??? ...
https://firstnhregiment.org/
They're looking for new recruits - but I'm getting a tad old now. The "picture gallery" is interesting.
report to moderator

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - September 03 2021 :  07:54:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I while back I had my French model 1728 at the range to play a little. One of the guys said to shoot at 100 yds. to see how it would do. I very rarely shoot at 50 yds, almost never at 100, but I decided to give it a try. The gun has a bayonet lug for a front site and none at the rear. I was shooting unpatched balls, .678 in a .69 barrel. I shot three times. The first was high and hit the top of the target, the second was low and hit the bottom. The third was in the scoring circle. So the military smoothbores are not as inaccurate as the History Channel would have you believe.

You should give some thought to joining a unit. You don't have to do everything, all the time, even though the unit would probably like you to. Just pick and choose. And just take a look at how old most of the reenactors are. I didn't start doing this until I was 60.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Monadnock Hiker
Colonial Militia

August 31 2017

Posted - September 03 2021 :  08:00:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sounds like pretty decent shooting Fitz, - I've always said that the guy hanging onto a gun is the "most important" part for accuracy. - I thought that guy shooting did a damn good job & most of the "frontier types" (as he pointed out) probably didn't look a lot like him. ... ;)
Very shortly (2 weeks) I'll be 81 ... ;) - As a matter of fact, I'm having my will changed & adding a few bucks for The Fort at No.4, that change should be ready next week. - Gawd knows they need it, - this Covid thing has been a real problem, with all the cancelled events etc.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - September 04 2021 :  07:35:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I turned 79 this summer myself. I am still doing some events, just not as many. I think the Pequawket alliance gives some money to the fort and they hold their semi-annual meeting there. It looks like the fort will need a lot of work soon.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"
  Previous Topic: Fort Stanwix ... Topic Next Topic: Fort at No. 4 - Winter Weekend ...  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.22 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07