The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/19/2024 10:45:20 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 Event at Walnut Grove, Spartanburg, SC
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Winter weekend at the Fort ... Topic Next Topic: Revolutionary War Weekend ...  

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
July 17 2005

Posted - October 03 2021 :  8:30:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Fall event at historic Walnut Grove, where one of my ancestors probably fought. Oct. 2-3

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"
report to moderator

Monadnock Hiker
Colonial Militia

August 31 2017

Posted - October 04 2021 :  10:03:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Some REALLY GREAT pics there Fitz ... good weather, large turnout and a "good time" for everyone involved. - Thx. ...
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - October 05 2021 :  07:33:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
A couple of videos of the event.

https://www.facebook.com/1299074353/videos/901657810743505/

https://www.facebook.com/1299074353/videos/pcb.10220821669473752/610154563680529

Monadnock Hiker
Colonial Militia

August 31 2017

Posted - October 05 2021 :  10:59:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good to see those ... vids do add quite a bit to things.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - October 06 2021 :  07:41:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
We had a lot more people participating in the battle than were actually there in the 18th century. On Saturday they had to get creative and rotate the firing lines to get everybody on the field. On Sunday they mixed things up a little more and it went smoother. Also, you can see how close the spectators are to the action. But it all went well. The site fed us both nights and had things available during the day. I made it into a few of the pictures and the videos as well.

Monadnock Hiker
Colonial Militia

August 31 2017

Posted - October 06 2021 :  4:32:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good to see that many folks at an event, - wish we had the same, just too far north I guess. - Ok, I'll bite, where are you in those pics & vids???

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - October 07 2021 :  1:16:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I am in the brown waistcoat and tan breeches, different hats depending on the day I was there.

Monadnock Hiker
Colonial Militia

August 31 2017

Posted - October 07 2021 :  9:14:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good going - nice to see. Everything certainally looks "period correct" ... If I was younger (81) I'd join an outfit near-by. - Closest one is about 20 miles away as I recall. Those rifles/muskets can get kinda pricey.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - October 08 2021 :  08:35:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Lynn and Buster White, of the Pequawket Alliance, are both older than you. You probably met them at Fort at #4. And a gun is not necessary to be at these events. A lot of times at Walnut Grove I don't do the battle. There are just too many people for the area available to us. This year though, I did. Maybe because I hadn't done any any battles since July, and that one wasn't very good. So it was time. And guns do cost. But so do golf clubs and tennis rackets. The gun in the picture is a French fusil de chasse with a 48" barrel. I built it myself. Not to save money, but because I couldn't get one any other way. And I wanted to practice what I learned from Mike Miller at Martin's Station. I am working on a better one now. More correct and better build. Some I bought 20 years ago. Also, I try to shoot them live every week. I am a member of a local range and a few of us are regulars there. It's a lot of fun on a regular basis.

And by the way, you can close your eyes and pick up a gun and tell how good of a build it is. That's the way my new one will be.

Previous Topic: Winter weekend at the Fort ... Topic Next Topic: Revolutionary War Weekend ...  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.2 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07