The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/29/2024 8:07:33 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The LOTM Locations
 On the Trail of the Last of the Mohicans Locations Video
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: LOTM soldier training video from 2007 Topic Next Topic: Chimney Rock Park ...  

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - January 15 2022 :  2:19:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Simply, spectacular! Watch this 21-minute video. Ryan Albanese used my guidebook to follow the trail and made this wonderfully crafted video.

On the Trail of the Last of the Mohicans Video

Awesome!
report to moderator

Monadnock Hiker
Colonial Militia

August 31 2017

Posted - January 16 2022 :  7:41:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Now that is REALLY well done ...
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - January 17 2022 :  10:33:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I wish he had included the elk hunt, Cameron's Cabin, Massacre Valley, and Table Rock.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - January 17 2022 :  2:19:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Cameron's Cabin & Massacre Valley are both private property. I imagine he avoided those because of that The area that used to lead from the road to the valley looks nothing at all like it used to. He most likely would not have found it anyhow. Road was widened and some other construction went on. The few times I have driven by since then I could not exactly tell where the old "entrance" was.

The other two? He was in the vicinity of both. Kind of tough locating some of the Elk Hunt spots, but he drove past some of them on the way to Corner Rock. He did go to Table Rock but had trouble finding the Chimneys. Dark storm clouds rolled in & that hastened their departure. Good decision. Eric & I had a hard time finding our way out once on a winter excursion when snow squall suddenly surrounded us. He did tell me that he hopes to try that again in the future.

He also missed the Nolichucky & Hooker Falls, though he mentioned the latter. Production of the film was excellent, I thought.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - January 18 2022 :  08:25:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I wish he could have done a "then and now" of the Massacre Valley like he did at Lake James. Maybe with a drone? And at Cameron's Cabin with a drone? I am glad we got the chance to go there in 2010.

I liked the way he compared the profiles of the mountains and buildings to find the exact locations. It was a good video. I hope he expands on it.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - January 19 2022 :  12:20:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have been trying to find Cameron's Cabin on Google Earth but I can't remember where to look. We went there in 2010. I got out your guide book and it says something about Sawyer Cove Tree Farm, but I will need something more specific to find that on Google Earth after 12 years. Do you have more specific info?

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - January 19 2022 :  2:45:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
In Reem’s Creek, near Weaverville in Buncombe County, is the Zeb Vance Birthplace Historic Site. Here are 19th-century cabins and outbuildings for public viewing. Take I - 240 to the 19/23N exit. Travel to
Newstock Road exit. Bear right at light. Turn left at 2nd light and then right at next light (Reem’s Creek Road). This road will take you to the site.

Follow the directions above to get to the Zeb Vance site in Reem’s Creek. 1.3 miles further up the road you’ll come to the end of the road. Bear left and then make the first right. This is Blackberry Inn Road. Continue for .75 miles where you will make a right on a road that almost appears to be a driveway. This will take you between two brick homes and will then begin to climb a winding, narrow roadway. In .9 miles
you’ll reach a gate. You are at the Sawyer Cove Tree Farm. Beyond the gate, .4 miles, is a clearing ... The site of Cameron’s Cabin.
Now completely overgrown.

I have no idea of the present situation up there. GPS Coordnates: 35 [degrees] 41'45.85"N - 82 [degrees] 27'32.03"W

Hope that helps you, Ftz.

Monadnock Hiker
Colonial Militia

August 31 2017

Posted - January 19 2022 :  2:49:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My Gawd what directions - beautiful. ... Fitz, I hope you printed that out - remembering that might be a tad tough.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - January 20 2022 :  07:39:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks Rich. That should do it. I was thinking that I might go to the "Tracking" site this summer. It would be fun to ride by this site and see what still exists of the area. Probably full of houses now.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - January 20 2022 :  09:17:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No way I would ever locate that place on my own. Even with directions. Those coordinates did the trick.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - January 20 2022 :  09:27:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

Monadnock Hiker
Colonial Militia

August 31 2017

Posted - January 20 2022 :  3:38:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Nice view - reminds me a little of Vermont.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - January 21 2022 :  08:15:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah, a lot of the area around Asheville, NC looks a lot like upstate NY. A view from Crown Point is a lot like a view from Lake James.

This doesn't look like anything I have seen in NY, but it is one of my favorites.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - January 21 2022 :  08:29:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
And other views. I love that place.

Monadnock Hiker
Colonial Militia

August 31 2017

Posted - January 22 2022 :  07:59:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Some good pics Fitz ...

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - January 23 2022 :  07:42:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The beauty of those mountains never ceases to amaze me.

Previous Topic: LOTM soldier training video from 2007 Topic Next Topic: Chimney Rock Park ...  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.28 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07