The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/19/2024 4:39:51 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 Colonial Consciousness
 Winter weekend at the Fort ...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Meal time - 1820s ... Topic Next Topic: Let it begin here ...  

Monadnock Hiker
Colonial Militia

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
August 31 2017

Posted - February 20 2022 :  4:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok - Just returned from the annual "Winter Weekend at the Fort". - In the last week we've had VERY warm weather & a LOT of rain. - The week before that the place would have been buried in snow - nice, like the snow. I got there early as usual so the turn-out was low at that time - quite a few cars coming in as I was leaving. - The temp was about 20* outside & the building were "kinda cool". ... The usual Abenaki were there plus some others from around Rhode Island - have to look up their name. - Some really GOOD NEWS - the Fort is waiting for material to arrive to re-roof THREE buildings - much needed. There were four "heated rooms" and that's where everyone was - no one hung around outside.

Image Insert:

1001.15 KB

Image Insert:

923.55 KB

Image Insert:

972.76 KB

Image Insert:

959.29 KB

Image Insert:

785.18 KB
report to moderator

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - February 21 2022 :  07:24:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Looks like it was a good weekend. I am sure glad to hear they are going to re-roof the buildings. That is the key to preservation. The best thing to use is metal. Not correct, but unless you can afford constant maintenance, it is the way to go.

We had a good event last weekend. The place was packed and people parking on the little road coming in. The weather was great. I didn't get any pictures so I am hoping some of the wives who don't dress for events maybe got some.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Monadnock Hiker
Colonial Militia

August 31 2017

Posted - February 21 2022 :  08:09:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
There were actually more folks there that it appears. The four "heated rooms" (so called) were in the corners of the Fort & I only visited two. - The new roofing installed last year on the Parker House is metal & the new roofs are going to be the same. - Unless you really "look close" the new roofing looks like (old style) shingles - NOT panels. Hope you can get a couple of pics Fitz ... As he always does , the Abenaki from Rhode Island traps beaver & brings it up for cooking - he did this year too. - Looks pretty good, but I passed. - I did buy a wrist band from the other tribe, - helps pay for the gas it takes to get them up here.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Meal time - 1820s ... Topic Next Topic: Let it begin here ...  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.2 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07