The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
3/29/2024 8:37:03 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 BUMPPIN' 'ROUND BUMPPO'S
 The Tales MacWilliam ...
 Shelter in the Snow, February of 1758, Part 1
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Shelter in the Snow, Part 2 Topic Next Topic: Remembering - The January Tale of 1758  

Many Flags
Colonial Settler

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
August 13 2002

Posted - February 19 2003 :  11:18:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The snow came down heavier as Many Flags swished the broom across the cabin porch. He waded to the wood shed, gathered more wood in his arms and entered the cabin to find his Magdalena washing her long gray hair. He stirred the fire, she moved closer so the tresses would dry, and she looked up, smiling. “So, Alteliebe! Has the snow slowed at all?”
“Naye, Magda. It is coming even faster. Reminds me of years ago when Seamus, bruder Tales and I were trapped for several days after leaving Sign Talker with his Snow Eyes. Ahhh, now that was some snow, and ice, too”.
“Ach, Michael. Lately you live in the past. Last night in your sleep I heard you whispering strange words. Let’s see...ahh, yes. You were mumbling ‘redbud, redbud’ and then you would laugh. But then later....hmmm, let’s see. Something very similar you talked of, but this time you thrashed as if in fear. Ja, it was ‘red leaf’ you talked of. I seem to remember those Indian names from your past.”
“Meine Liebe!! Let us not speak of my enemies! But, dry your hair and sit here beside me. Let me tell you of the time we were trapped in snow after we had left Sign Talker, and there were six Huron....naye, I believe there were seven....and they surrounded us and........”

It was after Many Flags, Three Tales and Seamus had left Sign Talker to woo his Snow Eyes, through January and into February of 1758; that the lads, traveling south were caught in the three day blizzard. They had traveled several days and were at a section of the trail where there was no civilization for miles around. It was early morning, not long after starting off, that Seamus stopped. The three were quiet and Tales whispered, “Seamus, what is it? I hear or see nothing.”
“But, what do you smell?" asked Seamus.
The two brothers stood still for another minute, then Tales replied, “Snow! Ja, Cousin! And, I believe a big one.”
The three talked among themselves for a few minutes and then took off in three different directions. Luckily they had just been rounding a ridge when the snow-smell had been found. A sharp whistle from Flags brought the other two to him and there in the ridge they found an indentation, a slight overhang in the rock with some small trees to the right and left of the opening. A few more hushed words and they set to work.
Knowing they may only have a few hours, they divided up the work. Seamus and Three Tales cleared the few inches of snow off the ground in a ten feet square in front of the overhang. Then they began to construct a lean-to type shelter with cut saplings in front of and around the overhang using the close trees as corners and support. Walls were built and a roof of branches.. Hemlocks were found and their branches found their way woven among the walls and roof of branches. Then, a covering of bark strips was laid inside on the floor of the new dwelling with more hemlock branches on top of those. A most cozy, comfortable and functional shelter had been built, all within a few hours.
In the meantime, Many Flags had scoured the forest for dead wood. Dry branches, sticks, fallen logs of 12 inches or so were all dragged to the growing shelter doorway. Flags pulled it all inside, stacking the dry wood along the inside walls. This would be used as firewood, but until used would also provide an inside wall of insulation. The lads had built lean-to shelters of this sort, and many other shapes and sizes numerous times in the forests around their home in the Allemaengel. It all took only a few hours, and good thing it did not take longer. For within three to four hours time, the snow had started. It was a light, icy snow but also mixed with larger flakes. Beautiful to watch, but most beautiful to watch inside a shelter; not caught outside where cold and trudging moccasined feet through growing snowy inches and blinding snowswirls, would soon take a toll on even the hardiest longhunter.
The lads scooted inside the shelter, lots o
report to moderator

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 20 2003 :  08:43:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ya know it's gonna be a good day when you sign on to the board in the morning and find a new installment to "The MacWilliam Chronicles"!!!!

GG
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Chris
Colonial Settler

Hawkeye II
USA

May 25 2002

Posted - February 20 2003 :  11:51:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Excellent! Thanks, Many Flags. And when do we get to find out what happened?
:o)
Chris

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 20 2003 :  12:29:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh goodie! I love cliff-hangers... as long as I don't have to wait too long for the next part!

Many Flags
Colonial Settler

USA

August 13 2002

Posted - February 20 2003 :  5:32:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, now, I'll tell ye...the rest of the tale is in my head....it may take a bit of time sitting by the fire with a clay pipe and some port to remember it all....so, give me a few days....just a few days.....Pax Aye! Many Flags

Many Flags
Colonial Settler

USA

August 13 2002

Posted - April 22 2003 :  01:30:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I should say, NAYE, it will take me a few months, a few months to remember it all!! Sorry to have hit a dry spell, but the "rest of the story" is here in my brain...uhhh, in a few weeks, a few weeks, the second part of this story will be told.....Pax Aye! Many Flags
  Previous Topic: Shelter in the Snow, Part 2 Topic Next Topic: Remembering - The January Tale of 1758  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.22 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07