The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/18/2024 10:17:15 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AGAINST ALL ODDS MESSAGE BOARD - Mohicans Version
 Any Other Military Encounters - 1492 - Present
 [To Be] Historical Events in this War in Iraq
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Civil War Uniforms - Old Photos Topic Next Topic: End of the Civil War
Page: of 3

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 17 2002

Posted - April 03 2003 :  08:48:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by richfed

Yeah, bravo & kudos to all involved here, including the young lass ... I have the utmost respect for all of them.

But ... I gotta say ... what the blazes is a young girl of 19 - a rather petite looking one to boot - doing in the desert of Iraq fighting Fedayeen & suicide bombers???!!! - I don't get it. I know, I know, we're all supposed to be equal ... but, but ... we're different! She just shouldn't have been there - supply convoy or not - is my humble opinion.

A truly spectacular rescue operation however ... I hope some of the other MIAs & POWs can meet similar good fortune!

This may answer that question, Rich:

Take all American women who are within five years of menopause - train us for a few weeks, outfit us with automatic weapons, grenades, gas masks, moisturizer with SPF15, Prozac, hormones, chocolate, and canned tuna - drop us (parachuted, preferably) across the landscape of Afghanistan and Iraq and let us do what comes naturally.

Think about it. Our anger quotient alone, even when doing standard stuff like grocery shopping and paying bills, is formidable enough to make even armed men in turbans and berets tremble.

We've had our children; we would gladly suffer or die to protect them and their future. We'd like to get away from our husbands, if they haven't left already. And for those of us who are single, the prospect of finding a good man with whom to share life is about as likely as being struck by lightning. We have nothing to lose.

We've survived the water diet, the protein diet, the carbohydrate diet, and the grapefruit diet in gyms and saunas across America and never lost a pound. We can easily survive months in the hostile terrain of Afghanistan and Iraq with no food at all!

We've spent years tracking down our husbands or lovers in bars, hardware stores, or sporting events...finding Bin Laden, Saddam Hussein and his sons in some cave or bunker will be no problem.

Uniting all the warring tribes of Afghanistan and Iraq in a new government? Oh, please ... we've planned the seating arrangements for in-laws and extended families at Thanksgiving dinners for years ... we understand tribal warfare.

Between us, we've divorced enough husbands to know every trick there is for how they hide, launder, or cover up bank accounts and money sources. We know how to find that money and we know how to seize it ...with or without the government's help!

Let us go and fight. The Taliban and Saddam hate women. Imagine their terror as we crawl like ants with hot-flashes over their godforsaken terrain

Support our Country, our President and our Troops

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Theresa
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - April 03 2003 :  11:13:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Gotta agree with you Rich on that one.My daughter is just as petite as Jessica and I could never conceive her being over there.I would take her place first with my old beaten up body.Having a gun is one thing,but hand to hand is another.We know those things right? Had many petite ones trying to fight in maximum security and secure.You gotta be there to know.Theresa,their are still good men out there,believe me.

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - April 03 2003 :  4:49:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Secureman,

I know there a still good men out there....I married one!

The piece I posted was done so with tongue in cheek.

And, I agree with you about being willing to take your daughter's place in that situation...I can't imagine what her parents must have gone through knowing she was such a little thing. What a fighter! What a hero! Some students are going to be lucky enough to have her for a teacher some day.

Theresa

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - April 04 2003 :  11:38:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It broke my heart when I read that a big burly Iraqi security man in the hospital slapped Jessica real hard in the face. The courage of another Iraqi who saw it and told the U.S. military where she was is outstanding.He's a real human hero.Now bring that young girl home where she can't get abused anymore.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - April 05 2003 :  07:28:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
About these Republican Guard Divisions ...

Don't know yet what might happen down the road, of course, but one has to wonder about the mentality of these so-called elite Iraqi Republican Guard divisions deployed to defend Baghdad.

They sit there, taking a constant pounding ... burnt out trucks and armor, dead soldiers ... pounded till they are no longer considered a legitimate military force. They just sit there; they cannot fight back; they are completely overmatched. Yet, elements from other divisions come in to reinforce. Now they sit there taking the same pounding.

Soldiers don't do that. They don't hold a hopeless position unless there is something to be gained ... delay, rear-guard action, whatever ...

In this case, there is nothing to be gained that I can see. They are being utterly destroyed and our troops are just breezing past them.

One has to think they are more afraid of what's behind them [the Special Republican Guard?] than what's in front of them ... they simply must feel their survival chances are better of withstanding the pounding than what will happen if they were to turn tail and flee.

Weird. Surrender already. A complete waste of life ...

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 05 2003 :  10:47:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I had a patient the other day. She had come to her appointment for an obstetrical ultrasound alone. A little older than most of our Moms, she was having her second child and needed to get on back home soon so she could be there when her son got off the school bus. She was about 30 weeks pregnant. I asked her where she was from, and she said "Jacksonville". At this point, I knew where our conversation was going. I asked if her husband was in the marines. "Yes". I asked if he had been deployed to Iraq. "Yes". I said,"Well, lets see if we can get some good pictures of this baby to send to him." She quietly said that would be very nice, and our focus turned to the baby. The little girl she was carrying appeared to be perfectly healthy. No sign of the suspected problem she had been sent to see us for! I was so thankful for that! I handed her the pictures we had gotten of the baby's face and hand and foot, then I saw the slightest glisten in her eyes as she hugged me. By the time she stepped back the tear had already been vanquished. I said it must be hard to go through this alone, and she said "Oh, I'm not alone, there are lots of us expecting on the base, we're there for each other! How could our guys do their job if they thought we were a bunch of blubbering masses back at home. They'll do their job and be home soon. Honey, we're fine! We're just so proud of them." She thanked me again and rushed home to meet her son.

Her husband is with the 1st Marine Expeditionary Unit out of Camp LeJeune. I was glad to hear that President Bush was coming to visit the families there earlier this week. A rather high percentage of the guys that have lost their lives in this war, came from Camp Lejeune or Cherry Point (Where the elder Bush visited just days earlier). We see about two or three Moms a day from either Camp Lejeune, Cherry Point Naval Air Station, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base and sometimes Fort Bragg. These young women left behind to tend the home front are heroes to me too, because you just wouldn't believe the tender bravery you see in their faces when their husbands are deployed. It melts my heart every single time! They are so strong and supportive! I pray everyday this fighting will be over soon, so these guys can get back home to their loved ones.

And we'll happily welcome the increased number of Moms coming to see us within months after the guys return home.

GG

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 05 2003 :  5:41:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
We have lost our first American woman as "KIA" in this war.

Pfc Lori Ann Piestewa was not as fortunate as her fellow solder, Pfc Jessica Lynch. Lori's body was found, along with 8 other American soldiers, buried in a shallow grave near the hospital where Jessica was rescued. Lori was a young mother of two children (3 and 4), and was a Native American from the Hopi Nation in Arizona. Her grandfather served in WWII and her father in Viet Nam, and she was proud to be a third-generation soldier serving America.

I had seen a report about Lori and her family about a week or so ago, and I was hoping and praying that she would be alive. I am saddened that it was not to be so.

Thank you, Lori, for your supreme sacrifice.

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - April 07 2003 :  2:57:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thought this article would be of interest, especially to the Highland lads.

Bagpipes play as Black Watch takes Basra

GETHIN CHAMBERLAIN with the Black Watch in Basra

"THE Iraqis were hiding in a bunker at the side of the road when the tanks first spotted them. There were four of them, waiting at a crossroads in the Al Hadi area of Basra, slotting another rocket propelled grenade into their launcher to fire at the advancing British troops.

The request to engage came over the commanding officer's radio. A moment's pause, and then the reply crackled back: "You are now clear to engage the bunker with four men with HESH and co-ax." High explosive shells and chain gun - that's what the jargon meant, and nothing could stand in their way. Inside the bunker, the militia had only a few seconds left. The sound of a dull explosion rolled across the city. Over the radio, the Challenger crew reported the kill. "The target was engaged and the job was done."

On the other side of the bridge over the Shatt al Basra canal, Lieutenant William Colquhoun had unpacked his bagpipes and sat on the turret of his Warrior waiting for the order to advance. As the sun attempted to poke through smoke rolling lazily across desolate marshland stretching away on either side of the bridge, wading birds were picking their way among the long grasses. As he began to play, the sound of Scotland the Brave drifted across the bridge towards the city, competing with the clatter of rotor blades as four Cobra helicopters raced in to join the attack.

At the controls of his Cobra, Major Steve Hall, a US Marines pilot, was looking for more targets to hit when he felt the first bullets rip into the fuselage. A round embedded itself in the nose cone, inches from where co-pilot First Lieutenant Dale Behm was peering through his sights. Another smashed the targeting device ahead of him, more tore through the rotors and the gear box. The cockpit was on fire, but there was nowhere safe to land. People he could not see were firing at him from the windows of the houses in the shanty town below. Spotting a British Challenger tank on the ground near the bridge, he inched the Cobra down. In the sky above, his wingman had spotted the muzzle flashes and wheeled round to exact revenge. His chain gun rattled and the gunmen on the ground fell silent.

All along the western edge of the city, more dramas were being played out. The early fighting was fierce, rocket-propelled grenades and small arms fire coming from all directions. But as the Black Watch pushed on into the heart of Basra, the resistance began to crumble. People started to come out on to the streets to point out the places where the Fedayeen militia were hiding.

With the defenders in retreat, Lieutenant Colonel Mike Riddell-Webster's men pushed on. In the headquarters of the 7th Armoured Brigade, Brigadier Graham Binns realised it was time to commit everything he had to the battle.

What had started as another tentative raid to test out the resolve of the Iraqi defenders had become a headlong rush to capture the city, each unit vying with the next to capture more and more targets. Objectives which had earlier been thought unachievable fell, one by one.

As a hot and howling gale tore through the city, the battle for Basra was finally under way. Over the radios, the Black Watch battle group was reporting success after success as they pushed over Bridge 3 and on into the industrial north of Iraq's second city.

In the thick of the action, Lt Col Riddell-Webster was directing the fighting. Egypt squadron and B company were racing towards the military compound which was intended to be their prime objective for the day, south-west of the Al Jubaylah area of the city near the docks on the Shatt al Arab, the waterway leading down to the Persian Gulf.

Under constant attack from RPGs and small arms fire, they reported gunmen firing from behin

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 09 2003 :  08:24:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The following article was posted on the MSNBC website.

NEWSWEEK WEB EXCLUSIVE
By Rod Nordland
April 8 — Adnan Shaker has a tiny passport picture of himself that he’s somehow managed to save during his three years in one of Saddam Hussein’s prisons. It shows a handsome man in his 20s, lean and fit, with a luxurious mustache and thick black hair. Today his own three children would probably not recognize him as the same person.

HIS HAIR is cropped short. Half his teeth have been knocked out, his face is battered and the eyes sunken and haunted-looking. His chest is covered with 50 separate cuts from a knife, his back has even more marks, which he says are cigarette burns. Two of his fingers were broken and deliberately bent into a permanent, contorted position and there’s a hole in the middle of his palm where his torturers stabbed him and twisted the blade.

Inside a Basra torture chamber
April 8, 2003 — ITN’s Bill Neely reports on an alleged Iraqi government torture chamber discovered by British troops in Basra.

Today, though, Adnan was a happy man, so happy that he could barely restrain his excitement. He was finally freed from a prison in downtown Basra, after British troops entered the city and drove the remaining defenders away. And as he took a small group of American journalists on a tour of the hospital, he enthusiastically led a crowd of fellow ex-prisoners, their families, friends and passersby in the first rendition of a pro-American chant that any of us have so far heard: “Nam nam Bush , Sad-Dam No” (“Yes, yes, Bush, Saddam No”). They chanted and danced, filling one of their former cells in a spontaneous celebration.

The prison was originally the School for Adult Reeducation, until the authorities converted it after the Shiite uprising against Saddam in 1991 and, perversely renaming it the Jail for Adult Reeducation, used it as a place to punish rebellious Shiites. The white walls outside are covered with blue-painted Baathist and pro-Saddam slogans, but nothing announces that it’s a prison. In the central courtyard, there’s a long-disused basketball hoop, under which are arrays of metal beds for prisoners who were lucky enough to sleep outside. Arrayed around that were groups of classrooms, now cells, which housed so many men that they had to lie down in shifts to sleep. Prisoners whose families had enough money to bribe the authorities at the prison went into Unit One, where they were only occasionally beaten; it cost at least three million Iraqi dinars for that privilege (about $1,000 at the current rate). Unit Two was worse, and so on. In Unit Four, where Adnan lived for his 10-year sentence, the prisoners say they were tortured daily, sometimes thrice daily. Only Unit Five was worse, in a sense. It was where they took them to die.

Adnan says his initial crime was simply stealing some bread, but even that had a political dimension. “The bread was only for the ruling Baathists and the rest of us could go hungry—they didn’t care. We had no choice but to steal.” In prison, though, he was tortured to get him to admit that he was an enemy of the regime. “They wanted me to say I stole the bread because I was against the party.” He wouldn’t admit that, but when they asked him to say. “Long live Saddam,” he refused.

Adnan claims the tortures became daily occurrences, and he and other prisoners practically dragged us visitors through a succession of cells and torture chambers. In one, electrodes hung from the ceiling. He showed how they were placed on either side of his head while the voltage was turned on. On a wall were some hooks, high up. They produced a concrete reinforcing rod that had been bent into a sort of twisted figure eight, so that each loop served as manacles, and the middle was hooked to the wall. One room even had a complete dentist’s chair and drill set, which the prisoners could use for tooth problems if their relatives paid enough—but was more com

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 10 2003 :  12:54:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have been waiting to see if anyone else will write about the events that have happened during the past two days, but since no one has...

Rich made a reference to them on another thread but since they are so extremely important to the history of this war, I feel they should be outlined here in this thread.

Saddam Hussein and one or both of his sons may be seriously wounded, or dead, after another "target of opportunity" was bombed in Baghdad. No one knows whether they survived, or where they are.

The spokesperson for the Hussein Regime, the Minister of Information who has been "affectionately" dubbed Baghdad Bob, has simply vanished. I'm sure that many of us will miss his extremely amusing, Academy Award-winning, vehement public denials of everything that was happening over, around and under him.

Although there are still pockets of resistance and ongoing skirmishes, the City of Baghdad has "fallen" out of the control of the Hussein Regime.

In a highly symbolic gesture, a large statue of Saddam was roped, pulled down, drawn and quartered, and its decapitated head was dragged through the streets... by the elated citizens of Baghdad. If they could have tarred and feathered it and ridden it out on a rail, they would have.

American forces are still trying to find the location of about 7 prisoners of war, as well as a number of people who are still missing in action.

The coalition continues to work toward securing areas of Iraq north of Baghdad. Kirkuk has fallen to Kurdish allies, backed by American forces.

And so, three weeks after the start of Operation Iraqi Freedom, we are on the way to that goal. I continue to pray that this will end very soon, and that no more losses of American soldiers or innocent Iraqi people will occur.

God Bless Our Troops... God Bless America!

(Anyone else want to add anything?)

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - April 10 2003 :  4:10:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm almost afraid to mention this but I just got home from work, turned on the news (a ritual of late) and am hearing reports of a possible significant find of a vehicle that could possibly have biological implications. Holding my breath as we've heard this reported before. The vehicle had a fake wall inside and they've found a hidden area with open containers and other things that fit the description of a biological lab.

Theresa

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - April 10 2003 :  4:21:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I happened to turn the tube on about 8:30 yesterday morning - just in time to see our tanks rolling into the square & marines pour out of the Bradleys to secure the perimeter. Quite amazing to watch that live. As the crowd grew, I noticed some machine guns, here & there, among the civilians. It appeared, to me, the marines were letting their guard down, mingling as they were, and I began to grow concerned that I might witness a suicide attack live before my eyes.

Today, it happened - though not live on TV, to my knowledge. Not sure of the results as of yet.

Two things I'd like to see accomplished soon - besides the securing of Baghdad & some of the other key points. Three, actually:

1 - Locate, for certain the person - or remains - of one Saddam Hussein

2 - Though I am not of the opinion that the finding of solid evidence of biological/chemical/nuclear weapons is a requirement for the justification of this war, I'd like to see it happen to satisfy those who need to that. It may have happened today. As the Pentagon always says, "Consider all first reports false," so I'm not too excited, yet. But, two "discoveries" today - one of what seems to be plutonium - that would be big - and shocking! The other, in Baghdad, what seems to be a mobile biological facility - apparently, the truck, designed to look like a radar vehicle, had a false wall with apparatus, etc. behind it. Interesting find. Whatever, I feel very certain the stuff will be found when all is said & done.

3 - Seal the border with Syria!

All in all, truly remarkable military operations - truly unforgettable history in the making!

PS - I thought for sure that the absolute last scene of the war would be a shot of the Saturday Nite Live prototype, the Iraqi Information Minister, surrounded by US tanks - pointed at him - steadfastly proclaiming, microphone in hand, "The infidels are running about here & there. They are confused & surrounded. Our unconventional tactics have them running scared. Oh, and what tanks!?!"

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - April 10 2003 :  5:21:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I find it strange that even if they did find WMD's the Iraqi's did not use them against us.They knew for months we where coming and had time to prepare an adequate assault on us.No neighbors endangered like Israel,etc.Just some firecrackers going off here and there.Strange,real strange.

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - April 14 2003 :  11:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
check out this hilarious website:
http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com/

The things this guy said are incredible, here's some of my favorites. ROFL

"They are superpower of villains. They are superpower of Al Capone."

"Lying is forbidden in Iraq. President Saddam Hussein will tolerate nothing but truthfulness as he is a man of great honor and integrity. Everyone is encouraged to speak freely of the truths evidenced in their eyes and hearts."

"What they say about a breakthrough [in Najaf] is completely an illusion. They are sending their warplanes to fly very low in order to have vibrations on these sacred places . . . they are trying to crack the buildings by flying low over them."

"They think we are retarded - they are retarded."

"It has been rumored that we have fired scud missiles into Kuwait. I am here now to tell you, we do not have any scud missiles and I don't know why they were fired into Kuwait."

"Listen, this explosion does not frighten us any langer. The cruise missiles do not frighten anyone. We are catching them like fish in a river. I mean here that over the past two days we managed to shoot down 196 missiles before they hit their target."

"I triple guarantee you, there are no American soldiers in Baghdad."

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - April 15 2003 :  07:22:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hilarious, C.T. Bet ol' Baghdad Bob thinks twice next time somebody says to him, "Let's do lunch." I think he's dead in the bottom of restaurant rubble.

Theresa

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 15 2003 :  09:04:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank, CT-R, for giving me my Baghdad Bob fix! I was going through withdrawal, not having the opportunity to guess what he was going to come up with next. My favorite quote is this one: "We went into the airport and crushed them, we cleaned the WHOOOLE place out, they were slaughtered." ...and the arm waving across over his head as he said "whooooole"... It gave me a giggle everytime I saw the clip.

On a more serious note, I'm sure we are all very thankful that the 7 known prisoners of war were released/recovered alive, healthy, relatively unharmed. It was another bright spot amongst the sorrow of war.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - April 15 2003 :  09:55:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The real funny [pathetic?] part of this man is that I believe he truly believed what he said!

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 15 2003 :  12:41:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The funny part to me about The Minister of Wishful Thinking, is how a reporter described him after a press conference. He holds his head up, leaves the hotel and gets in a beat-up little pickup truck and putt-putts down the road. This guy was just so comical!

GG

Ilse
The Dutch Trader

Weerribben
Netherlands

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 16 2003 :  5:31:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ilse's Homepage  Send Ilse a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This one made me howl: the poetry of D.H. Rumsfeld:
http://slate.msn.com/id/2081042/

An appetizer? Okay:

The Situation
Things will not be necessarily continuous.
The fact that they are something other than perfectly continuous
Ought not to be characterized as a pause.
There will be some things that people will see.
There will be some things that people won't see.
And life goes on.

—Oct. 12, 2001, Department of Defense news briefing

Duh?

OH HAI!
Blessinz of teh Ceiling Cat be apwn yu, srsly.
http://www.lolcatbible.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - April 16 2003 :  6:20:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Keep 'em guessing....it seems to have worked.

Theresa

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - April 17 2003 :  09:21:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ilse

This one made me howl: the poetry of D.H. Rumsfeld:
http://slate.msn.com/id/2081042/

An appetizer? Okay:

The Situation
Things will not be necessarily continuous.
The fact that they are something other than perfectly continuous
Ought not to be characterized as a pause.
There will be some things that people will see.
There will be some things that people won't see.
And life goes on.

—Oct. 12, 2001, Department of Defense news briefing

Duh?

Those were all pretty good ... Rumsfeld is quite the entertainer. He also produces.

As to the above, translation:

The War on Terror will be partly overt, partly covert. There will be times of apparent inaction, but don't be fooled, the wheels are always turning. We plan to win this war ... the time for appeasement & negotiation & wrist-slapping with terrorist states & organizations is over. The World will be a better place.

Wait ... and see ...

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - April 18 2003 :  5:11:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Check this one out:
www.iraqinformationminister.com

Theresa

Ilse
The Dutch Trader

Weerribben
Netherlands

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 18 2003 :  6:33:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ilse's Homepage  Send Ilse a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This being a thread about historical events, let's not ignore this: 5000 years of history were lost after the looting and destruction of the National Museum and the libaries in Iraq. Reports are this wasn't random plunder, but organized and professional, arranged from abroad. American troops could not be bothered, they were busy guarding the Ministry of Oil.

The "coalition" was warned about this. It is a disgrace and unforgivable.

OH HAI!
Blessinz of teh Ceiling Cat be apwn yu, srsly.
http://www.lolcatbible.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - April 18 2003 :  11:43:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No need to worry,we are sending the F.B.I. over there to find the "stuff". Maybe they can try to find the WMD's too. Heard there was a bunch of Iraqi mental patients who have nobody to "secure" them.I guess they just wandered away from the asylum.But then again,the whole place over there now is a mass asylum so they should feel right at home.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - April 19 2003 :  06:55:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Theresa

Check this one out:
www.iraqinformationminister.com

Yes, hilarious ... I honestly can't see how someone can make such statements without truly believing them. Can someone be such a liar?

Anyway, this pic is floating around ... sort of reminds me of my "tanks" scenario ...

Regarding the Iraqi museum ... if all turns out as it appears, it is a tragedy ... I agree there. But to blame the US? I don't think so. Clearly, the oil is more important. Clearly, their lives are more important. Are the Iraqis not responsible for anything?

I would hold off on judgements, though, till we know the story ... there was a magazine article [December, '02] in, I believe, Smithsonian - or, it could have been another, maybe American Archaeology, I forget - but in it, the claim was made that the curators of the place were trained to evacuate its contents within 24-hrs. Why was that not done? Or, was it?
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Civil War Uniforms - Old Photos Topic Next Topic: End of the Civil War  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.53 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07