Against All Odds Message Board
Against All Odds Message Board
5/4/2024 4:32:58 PM
Home | Old Board Archives | Events | Polls
Photo Album | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages | Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Chat
Bookmarks | Active Topics
Invite A Friend To Face The Odds!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Alamo - 1836
Allow Anonymous Posting forum ... Thirteen Days To Glory
 What are the "must have" Alamo books? Allow Anonymous Users to Reply to This Topic ...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: juan seguin Topic Next Topic: the alamo compound  

Brent
Lt. Colonel

USA

Posted - September 06 2003 :  06:46:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
--if any? I just ordered "Blood of Noble Men" (from ABE Books) but wondered if there are any other reputable accounts out there? Already have "Three Roads to the Alamo"
Thanks in advance!!

Anonymous Poster8169
Forum Guest

Posted - September 06 2003 :  10:45:45 AM  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brent

--if any? I just ordered "Blood of Noble Men" (from ABE Books) but wondered if there are any other reputable accounts out there? Already have "Three Roads to the Alamo"
Thanks in advance!!

"Blood of Noble Men" is quite good, though I think Huffines is nuts for giving Madam Candelaria any serious consideration, and his speculation (with Lindley it becomes a conclusion) that the Alamo probably received reinforcements a few days after the Gonzales group is quite interesting, seeing as how there is *no evidence at all* for such an event.

"Eyewitness to the Alamo," Bill Groneman. (His obsession with every document being a forgery, however, compromises the value of the commentary. But the accounts themselves are fine.)
"Alamo Defenders," Bill Groneman.
"Alamo Traces," Thomas Ricks Lindley (though I disagree with many of his conclusions, and I think he is often ludicrously unfair towards people he disagrees with. Lindley is the all-time King of Straw Men.)
"A Time to Stand," Walter Lord.
"The Alamo Remembered," Timothy Matovina.

There's a new book coming out this month called "The Alamo Reader" by Todd Hansen, which if the descriptions are accurate will quickly vault to the top of the list. It's supposed to be nearly 800 pages, and to be an exhaustive collection of Alamo source documents. We'll soon see how true this is ---- my copy is still on order.

There's also been a lot of dung written on this subject, some of it poorly researched, others just derivative.

R. Larsen

Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page

Brent
Lt. Colonel

USA

Posted - September 11 2003 :  07:01:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks!
Just finished "Blood of Noble Men" and "Alamo Traces"
Agree that Candelaria is very suspect--.
Amazing how "eyewitnesses" differ on so many things. One has Davy as a stalwart, imposing figure, Another has him as bent-over old man.
How many Texans died?? 182? 200? 250?? How many Mexicans?? 70?? 300? 3,000?? Even accurate body counts after the battle seemed elusive!!
Now aware that the Crockett surrender story didn't just initiate from La Pena--and was actually commented on by several others prior to that diary being "found".
Another of his observations (actually was Zoboly's) that may be suspect--having several of the 100(?) or so who fled the Alamo after the initial attack actually making it to other towns--"although most of them probably did not survive their wounds". Not impossible, but seems we'd have heard something about it from another source. Any idea where he got that from??

Edited by - Brent on September 11 2003 07:11:36 AM

Anonymous Poster8169
Forum Guest

Posted - September 11 2003 :  11:32:40 AM  Reply with Quote
quote:

Another of his observations (actually was Zoboly's) that may be suspect--having several of the 100(?) or so who fled the Alamo after the initial attack actually making it to other towns--"although most of them probably did not survive their wounds". Not impossible, but seems we'd have heard something about it from another source. Any idea where he got that from??

There was a report in an Arkansas paper, three weeks after the fall, of two men arriving in Nacogdoches (or some place). They claimed to have been members of the Alamo garrison, and to have escaped during the final assault ---- to the best of their knowledge, they were the only survivors. Nothing more was ever heard of them.

Then there's Henry Warnell, who according to land claim records, survived the Alamo and died of his wounds in Port Lavaca, three months after the assault.

This is the only info we have on possible survivors.

R. Larsen

Brent
Lt. Colonel

USA

Posted - September 12 2003 :  06:42:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suppose the two surviving escapees (if true) probably had little inclination to tell the story--maybe they were ashamed/embarased to bring it up, considering the "heroic" nature of the deaths of the others.
And maybe they were also wounded and died---.

Anonymous Poster8169
Forum Guest

Posted - September 12 2003 :  10:06:56 AM  Reply with Quote
quote:

I suppose the two surviving escapees (if true) probably had little inclination to tell the story--maybe they were ashamed/embarased to bring it up, considering the "heroic" nature of the deaths of the others.
And maybe they were also wounded and died---.

Who knows? Since the report was third hand, the newspaper may have simply garbled it up beyond anything resembling reality. Newspapers sometimes did (do?) that.

I also just received "The Alamo Reader" by Todd Hansen in the mail, and let me say that it is even better than I had hoped for. It includes a huge mass of information, and simply puts all other attempts at something like this to shame. It's a lot like "The Custer Myth," except it includes more. It's obviously the best book ever published on the Alamo, and I urge anyone interested in this subject to purchase it immediately.

R. Larsen

Brent
Lt. Colonel

USA

Posted - September 13 2003 :  06:53:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What?? Newspapers garble the news?? Get things wrong?? Make things up??? Impossible, I say!!!
Believe I'll order that Hansen book--.

Anonymous Poster8169
Forum Guest

Posted - September 13 2003 :  10:10:55 AM  Reply with Quote
quote:

What?? Newspapers garble the news?? Get things wrong?? Make things up??? Impossible, I say!!!

You'd think so, but believe it or not, I've heard that they DO sometimes get things wrong ---- imagine that!

quote:

Believe I'll order that Hansen book--.

You won't regret it.

R. Larsen

Anonymous Poster8500
Forum Guest

Posted - March 21 2004 :  11:17:26 PM  Reply with Quote
If Davey was executed why was Santa Anna so much in a hurry to see the bodies of Travis,Bowie and Davy.The bodes were not burned until about 3 pm.The battle was over around 8am.No Davy went down figthing at his post and could have been one of the last to fell but he did not quit.I hope the new movie does not do what I hear it will.Until we have facts ,and we will never have the truth on how their die.You think that Bowie killed lots of mEXICANS ,WELL i THINK AT THE MOST MAYBE ONE,i THINK HE WAS TOO SICK AND MAY NOT HAVE KNOWN WHAAT WAS HAPPENING.tHE mEXICAMS JUST WENT IN THER AND KILLED HIM.aS FOR AS tRAVIS THEY SAY HE WAS KILLED AT THE FIRST ATTACK AND WAS SHOT ONE TIME IN THE HEAD.sO ALL OF THIS IS REALLY GETTING NUTS.aLL OF THIS MEN DIED AT THE aLAMO AND IT REALLY DOES NOT MAYTTER HOW THET DIE.pEOPLE WANT TO SAY THINGS AFTER THE FACT.yOU DO NOT THINK hOUSTON AND HIS TROOPS QUESTION THE TROPPS THAT SURRNDER.i BET THEY WENT WITH GRETA DETAILS AS OF WHAT HAPPEN.nO ONE HAS ASK THAT QUSTION.tHANKS FOR READING THIS BUT i WILL STICK TO MY GUNS AND SAY dAVY WENT DOWM FIGHTING.wHY WOULD HE STOP AND HE KNEW LIKE EVEYBODY ELSE THERE WAS NO SURRENDER.hE FOUGHT THE bRITISH AND iNDIANS SO WHY WOULD HE LAY DOWN TO THE MEXICANS............

Anonymous Poster8169
Brigadier General

Posted - March 24 2004 :  6:18:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous Poster8500

If Davey was executed why was Santa Anna so much in a hurry to see the bodies of Travis,Bowie and Davy.

What "hurry"? For that matter, what delay? If you have any evidence as to what time Santa Anna viewed these bodies, please show.

quote:

No Davy went down figthing at his post and could have been one of the last to fell but he did not quit.

You have no way of knowing this.

quote:

I hope the new movie does not do what I hear it will.Until we have facts ,and we will never have the truth on how their die.

It's a movie, so it's going to fill in details where needed. There is no actual evidence, for instance, that Crockett and Bowie ever said a word to each other in their entire lifetimes, but I have no doubt that the movie will present to us more than one such conversation.

quote:

You think that Bowie killed lots of mEXICANS

Who is "You"?

quote:

,WELL i THINK AT THE MOST MAYBE ONE,i THINK HE WAS TOO SICK AND MAY NOT HAVE KNOWN WHAAT WAS HAPPENING.tHE mEXICAMS JUST WENT IN THER AND KILLED HIM.aS FOR AS tRAVIS THEY SAY HE WAS KILLED AT THE FIRST ATTACK AND WAS SHOT ONE TIME IN THE HEAD.sO ALL OF THIS IS REALLY GETTING NUTS.

What is?

quote:

aLL OF THIS MEN DIED AT THE aLAMO AND IT REALLY DOES NOT MAYTTER HOW THET DIE.pEOPLE WANT TO SAY THINGS AFTER THE FACT.yOU DO NOT THINK hOUSTON AND HIS TROOPS QUESTION THE TROPPS THAT SURRNDER.i BET THEY WENT WITH GRETA DETAILS AS OF WHAT HAPPEN.nO ONE HAS ASK THAT QUSTION.tHANKS

Ignorant people might not have, but a lot of information was taken from post-SanJacinto interrogations. A soldier named George Dolson, for example, wrote a letter back home in which he described interviewing one of the prisoners, who told him about the execution of Crockett.

quote:

FOR READING THIS BUT i WILL STICK TO MY GUNS AND SAY dAVY WENT DOWM FIGHTING.wHY WOULD HE STOP AND HE KNEW LIKE EVEYBODY ELSE THERE WAS NO SURRENDER.

It is well established that a half-dozen men did surrender, in spite of your "logic", and there are other reports of failed surrenders during the battle (De la Pena's white sock wavers, Jacob Walker pleading for his life).

quote:

hE FOUGHT THE bRITISH AND iNDIANS SO WHY WOULD HE LAY DOWN TO THE MEXICANS............

Because the battle was over and there is nothing ignoble or cowardly in being a POW. You seem to have a real comic-book idea of what war is like; if someone doesn't have three chest wounds and some bayonet scars on his forehead, he ain't fightin' hard enough!

R. Larsen

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - January 23 2005 :  9:10:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larsen, stand-by for a real unbelievable twist. I agree with everything you said. "Because the battle was over and there is nothing ignoble or cowardly in being a POW." Brave men have survived wars for decades and became teachers, doctors, lawyers, and politicians. Would society prefer that these hero's die in a hopeless cause rather than survive? I may not agree with all of your Custer posts, but damn if you don't got it going here.?

Anonymous Poster7062
Forum Guest

Posted - September 01 2007 :  11:07:16 PM  Reply with Quote
A good place to start reading about the Alamo Would be J.R.Edmondsonīs "The Alamo Story". Many people like it better than Walther Lordīs "A Time To Stand"!
Another good Alamo Book is "Three Roads To The Alamo" by William C.Davis, which have already bee mentioned in another post.
As already stated by another poster, "The Alamo Reader" is great for an in-depth study.
For a look at the Tejano side of the Texas war of independence thereīs "A Revolution Remembered" by de la Teja. It includes Juan Seguinīs complete memoirs. Seguin was one of the couriers Travis send out of the Alamo for help. He later distinguished himself at the battle of San Jacinto.
  Previous Topic: juan seguin Topic Next Topic: the alamo compound  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Custom Search

Against All Odds Message Board © 1998-2010 Rich Federici/Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
This page was raised in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03