The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/7/2024 4:00:57 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICANLAND: Community
 Bunkhouse Banter!
 Yes ... One More! ... The Sophia Story!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: A Bookworm Birthday! Topic Next Topic: The Mohicanland All-Star Hall of Fame
Page: of 11

Bea
Keeper of the Western Door

The Kiss 2
Canada

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 18 2002

Posted - November 21 2002 :  2:18:55 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Bea's MSN Messenger address  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My son and I have been praying for little Sophia as well and i will also phone Father Francis again! Please keep us posted on any changes as we worry with you!!

God bless!

Bea

Carpe Diem
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - December 01 2002 :  07:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's 8 weeks now ... no end in sight. There was a cystic fibrosis scare ... bili rubin count slowly going down ... advanced [for a second time] to a respirator that allows her to breathe on her own, if she will, and takes over when she won't ... weight going up ... milk had to be witheld for a spell, but I think she'll go back on today ... still a plug & spring a leak type of thing ... she's ok, but a sick little girl, precariously perched ...

Thanks for all the nice things you've said via E-mail, etc. It is all greatly appreciated.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - December 09 2002 :  7:07:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Imagine, if you will, a pear. Imagine sticking an apple on the pear's thinner end. Draw a tired & sleeping face on that apple, but be sure to add no hair! Stick a few thin twigs in place as arms and legs. Color the whole thing bronze. Imagine that.

Respirator on. Respirator off. CHANGE the respirator. Do this test. Do that test. Try that medication. Try this one. Give her milk. Stop the milk. Give her fluids. No, hold the fluids.

9 weeks now, and it's getting very painful.

Sophia, despite it all, is a beautiful little girl. She is, as some of you have noted, a real fighter. She has gone through more in the way of medical attention - far more - in her brief lifespan, than many of us encounter in a lifetime.

Today was her second surgery. That's exactly twice as many as the other 11 of us have had in all our collective years. And that one? Elaine's recent C-section to deliver this little angel.

The first, several weeks ago, was to put a little clamp - two, in fact - on some vessel near her heart to allow blood to her her lungs to be oxygenated. The prognosis was, at the time, for a few days recovery, and then rapid progress.

It didn't happen. In fact, the reverse was true. She went downward ... ending up the little bronzed, pear-shaped, bloated being, with the high bili rubin count, fluid retention problems, etc. etc. Before today, though, she was showing much better color, and her vital signs usually remained stable. On some days, she was even quite frisky.

With great trepidation, I anticipated this second major surgery ... exploratory, to a degree, because they really didn't know exactly what they were looking to find ... a leakage of bile, they expected, somewhere ...

Get this ... at the outset, they drained 10 - TEN - ounces of fluid from her tiny little body. 10 friggin' ounces! That's almost a can of Coke! Then, they pumped in a dye to see where the leakage was. The doctor says he's never seen this before ... it wasn't a clearly defined seepage hole, but rather a general oozing ...

Anyway, to make a long story short, they ending up removing her gall bladder, stitching up near her liver [taking a small piece for a precautionary biopsy], and then sewing her all back up, confident the oozing was halted and that she could progress.

A couple of hours later she was wheeled into her bed spot in the Neo-Natal Intensive Care Unit - zonked .... but what a sight!! Gone was the bronze pear. In its place was my beautiful - almost pink - daughter.

My hope - my humble prayer - is that today she turned the corner and will begin to get well. She has fought on long enough, dear God. Please make her well.

I just want to hold her.

Imagine ... 9 weeks, and I've barely touched my own flesh & blood.

Diane B.
Colonial Militia

Dream Catcher 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - December 09 2002 :  8:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh, my, Rich!

Your littlest angel is certainly having a rough start in life. I know how very tough all of this is for you & your family...

My niece went through some rough times when her daughter was born, a full three months early & barely weighing two pounds. Granted, she didn't have to undergo the surgeries that Sophia has had to endure, but she did go through some rough times & she spent the first several months of her life in the neo-natal unit in one of south Florida's finest hospitals. Today, that tiny little baby has grown into a happy, healthy, very bright & beautiful four-year-old girl.

Please know that there are many, many people praying for Sophia & her entire family & as you know, prayer is a very powerful thing. Be strong, be brave & have faith. May God watch over all of you & bless you during this difficult time.

Rattlesnake Woman

"The earth does not belong to us; we belong to the earth." - Chief Seattle

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 09 2002 :  9:16:21 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich and Lainey,

Since I am so new and am still exploring, I didn't realize what was going on. I just now found this topic because of your latest post. Even though you don't know me at all, I just want to add my very best wishes for your little Sophia. As a mother, my heart cries with yours. I cannot imagine how difficult this is for you. Even though you may not be able to hold her or even touch her, the Lord is holding her in the palm of His hand. Trust in that! Believe in that! Modern medicine accomplishes amazing things, and Miracles do happen. Take care and God Bless.

Chris
Colonial Settler

Hawkeye II
USA

May 25 2002

Posted - December 09 2002 :  9:24:26 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Dear Rich and Elaine,
I'm thrilled to hear how she pinked up after the surgery. That is a great sign. You say pink is your favorite color now?? We'll keep praying for her and all of you. What does she weigh now? Keep us posted on her progress.
Love, Chris

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - December 09 2002 :  9:40:03 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you, Rich for letting us in on all of this. Your Mohican family has a very strong bond and all of us are with you and Elaine every step of the way. Never...NEVER under estimate the power of prayer. There have many sent up on Sophia's behalf. It is also important that the two of you get your much needed rest. Take care of yourselves and keep us informed as much as you can. Glad to hear Sophia is all rosy pink now. That's a good sign.

Theresa

Brenda
Pioneer

Wink
Canada

June 17 2002

Posted - December 09 2002 :  10:00:44 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I am happy to hear that little Sophia pulled through the surgery and is doing so well! My prayers are with her and your family. God Bless,
Breda

“They say that you're never as wise as when you're a child. We'll never think that clearly again.”
From Arlington Road (1999)

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - December 09 2002 :  11:01:55 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"People were bringing even infants to him that he might touch them,and when the disciples saw this,they rebuked them.Jesus,however,called the children to himself and said,Let the children come to me and do not prevent them; for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these." Luke Chapter 18,verse 15-16. Jesus is touching little Sophia and watching over her.We pray to the compassionate Jesus for healing.

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - December 10 2002 :  07:34:34 AM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This is the exact daily reading from my devotional book for today, except mine came from Mark. "Jesus took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them."-Mark 10:16.

And when I read this I immediatley felt that God was holding little Sophia and blessing her. Pray without ceasing.

Theresa

Bea

The Kiss 2
Canada

May 18 2002

Posted - December 10 2002 :  11:05:30 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Bea's MSN Messenger address  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I am relieved to hear that little Sophia is getting better. Please keep us posted. Our congregration has prayed for her last Sunday and we will continue to remember her in our prayers! The day will come when you will be able to hold your precious little angel!!! Have faith!

Carpe Diem

Cherie
Colonial Settler

Bug
USA

July 02 2002

Posted - December 11 2002 :  6:02:45 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich and Elaine

I know I don't post often, But when I read of your recent troubles with the new one and the tree on the house I just had to tell you that my prayers are with you and your family. Please let me know if you need anything at all. I have family that lives not far from you and would be honored to help in anyway possible. Let us know what we can do to help

With a prayer
Cherie

Support our Country, our President and our Troops

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - December 17 2002 :  12:13:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich and Elaine,
Sorry I haven't been around in a while and I was sorry to hear of Sophia's continued difficulties. I've been praying for her and thinking of her and hopefully she has truly "turned the corner..."
Like Diane B., our family has its own preemie success story. In 1998, my cousin Michelle delivered her second child, Cassandra, three months early by emergency C-section. The little girl weighed one single pound. Nurses had to use a doll's clothing to dress her for the first month. She spent four months in the neo-natal ICU unit at the University of Pittsburgh's medical center. Doctors predicted that if she survived, she would be mentally retarded, blind, deaf, possibly cerebral palsy or a combination of all of the above.
Fast forward four and a half years later. I saw Cassie when I was in Pittsburgh a month ago. She is now a bouncing, healthy, bright, friendly and intelligent, beautiful little girl. She takes part in gymnastics, ballet and tap dance and at four, is breezing through being home-schooled in kindergarten. She already can write her name, count and read simple sentences. The only lingering affect of her premature birth? Near-sightedness corrected by an adorable pair of glasses. So out of what seemed the darkest days back in '98 this beautiful little success story emerged.
I'll continue to pray and think of Sophia and hope that you and Elaine will get to hold your daughter during the Christmas season.
Peace and blessings,
Christina

See this face? This is the face of a woman on the edge.
Whoopi Goldberg, "Jumping Jack Flash"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 17 2002 :  12:47:33 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It seems as though this would be appropriate here. It is a bit long, but I hope you will all bear with me and read it through to the end.
This is found on www.truthorfiction.com under the heading "Inspirational."

"The Smell of Rain," an Inspirational Story about a Premature Baby-Truth!
Summary of eRumor:
The story of Diana and David Blessing and their daughter, Danae, born when Diana had been pregnant for only 24 weeks. (Read the entire piece below.)

The Truth:
This is one of the most widely circulated inspirational stories on the Internet and one of the most commonly forwarded to us.

TruthOrFiction.com has been in contact with the Blessings who confirm that the story is true and that now 9 year-old Danae is doing wonderfully.

Here are excerpts from Diana Blessing's message to us on 8/21/00:

"Yes, the story known as THE SMELL OF RAIN is true.

"The original title is 'Heaven Scent'. About 5 years ago now, the C.E.O. of Columbia hospitals decided to compile some of the wonderful stories that he had received and put them into a book formatted similar to the 'Chicken Soup' series. This book was titled 'Miracles In Our Midst.' Danae's story was submitted and picked in rough draft written by my mother. The 'writers' then called and interviewed me, finalizing the story from this interview. When the book was released, he decided to use his, 'favorite story' to promote the book on the internet. It happened to be Danae's story. People then began the long journey that has now revolved over and over all around the globe as they took that little story and forwarded it to their friends and loved ones. The story has been in numerous church newsletters, two magazines and has most recently been published in the latest 'Chicken Soup' book titled 'Chicken Soup For The Christian Family Soul.'

"Danae is now a lively, beautiful, active, free-spirited, blissful, God-loving fourth-grader. She is in the Gifted and Talented program. Still petite, but growing daily. She loves to play 'active' sports. Soccer, softball, basketball. She had taken gymnastics and loved it. Especially the fact that she shares a birthday with Shannon Miller, but decided to stick with the more aggressive sports. She swims like a little fish. Loves all animals. Has several of her own.

"Danae has a compassion for other people that I have never witnessed with another child and I work with children daily. She is a pure joy to be around and is NEVER at a loss for words. When I first began getting response from the story I was startled. I quickly realized that God was working his magic. I praised him for allowing me to be blessed in such a way that I see his well doings each and every day. My husband and I decided that if sharing Danae's story touched even one person, than that is what was meant to be. I know now that it has touched many, many and continues everyday. I am so grateful to know the Lord and to have him so evident before us. I am also thankful for the widespread response and blessings from so many of the people that have received the story and have been touched by it. Hopefully it will continue to spread the news of God's love.

"I knew when I first saw Danae that she could not and would not be contained. She screamed to be shared. We couldn't walk in the grocery store without someone commenting about her. So, I painfully acknowledged the fact that she would not be mine alone. Danae has a lot to give. This story is only the beginning.

"Thank you for taking the time to verify the truth. I am excited to imagine all the lives that will be touched even now that they know it is true!

Sincerely,

Diana Blessing-Luckiest Mom on Earth!

A real example of the story as it has been circulated:

The Smell of Rain

A cold March wind danced around the dead of night in Dallas as the Doctor walked into the small hospital room of Diana Blessing. Still groggy from surgery

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - December 17 2002 :  6:40:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think that I'll have to start calling this my Thread of Tears, for I shed at least a few at every visit.

Your comments & support are all touching & appreciated so very much, but that last post by you, Wilderness Woman, was especially so.

quote:
During those long days and nights of her first two months of her life, when her nerves were too sensitive for them to touch her, God was holding Danae on His chest and it is His loving scent that she remembers so well.

That was too much ...

You'll be welcome here forever!

Thank you, all! [Will try to have a Sophia update in the near future for you.]

Lainey
TGAT

USA

May 18 2002

Administrator

Posted - December 20 2002 :  02:50:27 AM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you. A silver lining (grace) in all things~

{Sophia is off all breathing assistance now. After a rough post-op week she's moving forward again. Other than waiting too long for a liver biopsy report (part of the deal here - as one of Sophia's neonatalogists said; "We all love Sophia. She's a great kid - but she tortures us."}, things are currently pretty good.}

"Fides et Ratio"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 20 2002 :  08:35:03 AM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Lainey

Thank you. A silver lining (grace) in all things~

{Sophia is off all breathing assistance now. After a rough post-op week she's moving forward again. Other than waiting too long for a liver biopsy report (part of the deal here - as one of Sophia's neonatalogists said; "We all love Sophia. She's a great kid - but she tortures us."}, things are currently pretty good.}

Oh! That is good news! I am continuing to pray for her... and for your whole family. (2:50 a.m.??? Are you getting any sleep at all, Mom? Bless you!)

Bea

The Kiss 2
Canada

May 18 2002

Posted - December 20 2002 :  11:06:22 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Bea's MSN Messenger address  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Have you been able to hold her yet?

Carpe Diem

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - December 20 2002 :  7:07:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Elaine has, a couple of times. I may get my chance on the morrow.

Bea

The Kiss 2
Canada

May 18 2002

Posted - December 20 2002 :  8:07:56 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Bea's MSN Messenger address  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh, I sure hope so!!! An early Christmas gift that would be !!

I'd love to see another pic of her too!!!

Carpe Diem

Lainey
TGAT

USA

May 18 2002

Administrator

Posted - December 27 2002 :  01:24:46 AM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Have you been able to hold her yet?

Bea, I've been able to hold Sophia several times (a thousand times too few), including Christmas. Holding her last night; she wrapped in swaddling and sleeping so peacefully, her tiny lips slightly parted and puckered as if she were blowing kisses, her eyes closed and rested like an infant Sleeping Beauty, the softness of her pink skin, her little hands crossed over her chest - how angelic she looked. It swept away the empty feeling of the morning; a little bundle of Christmas gifts sitting off to the side of the tree, each wrapped and labeled Merry Christmas, Sophia, and every one still there, unwrapped, long after my other children had turned a Norman Rockwell Christmas setting into a Red Cross disaster site. I really missed her and hated that she wasn't home Christmas morning.
She wasn't there for pictures, she wasn't there to cry, she wasn't there to dress up for Mass. No cradle with a sleeping Sophia ...
But holding her for so long Christmas night, I falling into a semi-sleep several times while she really slept like a baby, made it almost okay.

She had the cutest little ornament hung on her isolette "home" - her handprint set into a little piece of white clay strung with a red ribbon. Baby's First Christmas ...

Before taking her out & putting her to sleep I had the pleasure of a wide-eyed baby watching me as I talked to her and grabbing tightly at my fingers, her grip much stronger than it had been. She looked great. Her skin (which had been marked with bruises, lacerations, and raw sores from post-op/low protein/IV sites/retaping just a week ago) had completely healed; great tone & color, no scabs or discolorations remained. Her incision is nearly undetectable. She had her big, brown eyes open, searching and tracking. Her belly is bloated again, but not nearly as it was with the liver ascites. A possible pneumonia development seems to not be so. Her breathing has been very good. She really just needs to fatten up & boost her protein levels ... then she'll finally come home.

And Norman Rockwell's beautiful imaginings will seem real again.

"Fides et Ratio"

hawkeye
Pioneer

Longhunter With Child
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - December 27 2002 :  08:02:30 AM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Dear Rich and Lainey,

I'm so glad to hear things seem to be taking a turn for the better. We're all still holding our collective breathes and will continue the prayers and well wishes.

Keep your chins up... she seems to be quite the fighter! But I don't need to tell you that, do I?

Best wishes,
Marc

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 27 2002 :  09:12:36 AM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
What a wonderful Christmas gift... from the Lord to Sophia... from Sophia to you... and from you to all of us! Thank you so much for sharing.

Bea

The Kiss 2
Canada

May 18 2002

Posted - December 27 2002 :  12:53:36 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Bea's MSN Messenger address  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Lainey, thank you so much for sharing! My eyes are wet as I am typing..
The Lord has given you a great gift indeed.
Little Sophia has been in my thoughts a lot. She actually inspired me to pick up a book from our church library, called DEAR ZOE by Max Depree. It is sort of like a diary, as he chronicles the developments of his pre-mature ( 24 weeks) grand-daughter. I wouldn't have picked it up before but because of Sophia I just had to..it was a wonderful book to read for Christmas filling me with hope and more faith!

Please keep us posted!! God bless Sophia and you!!

Carpe Diem

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - December 30 2002 :  12:18:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich and Elaine, so glad to hear that Sophia has made such progress and you've been able to hold your dear little one. What a Christmas gift! At this blessed season you have been blessed. The Lord has special plans for her, I think!
Best to you both and all of your family
Christina

See this face? This is the face of a woman on the edge.
Whoopi Goldberg, "Jumping Jack Flash"

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: A Bookworm Birthday! Topic Next Topic: The Mohicanland All-Star Hall of Fame  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.7 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07