The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
3/29/2024 7:57:31 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AGAINST ALL ODDS MESSAGE BOARD - Mohicans Version
 Battle of the Little Bighorn - 1876
 Best Books on Little Bighorn
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Washita Battlefield National Historic Site Topic Next Topic: We have discovered another survivor of the Little Big Horn  

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - November 03 2003 :  06:37:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There are many, many works on this subject - more on this battle than any other, I would guess, except for maybe Gettysburg. Some are terrible, others are excellent.

One general observation I'd like to make: It seems the more scholarly the work is, the less anti-Custer it is; the more the blame is spread around.

Anyway, here are my very favorites, what I consider the best of the best [there are many more good ones!]:

Custer's Luck by Edgar I. Stewart [University of Oklahoma Press, 1955] - A bit dated, especially in the analysis of the actual battle phase of things, but still the best narrative of the campaign written. Excellent work to read if you are just getting your feet wet on the subject.

Custer's Last Campaign by John S. Gray [University of Nebraska Press, 1991] - This book changed our understanding of the battle. A true landmark edition. Using a detailed time/motion analysis, Gray reconstructs - very carefully - the flow of events - what was possible; what was impossible. Stunning work!

Archaeology, History, and Custer's Last Battle by Richard Allan Fox, Jr. [University of Oklahoma Press, 1993] - In 1983, I believe it was, fire swept over the battlefield. A golden opportunity was presented, and led by Fox and Douglas D. Scott, extensive archaeological studies were performed on the field before the foliage reclaimed the landscape. This is the definitive analysis of that work - combined with Indian testimony, of which there is a wealth, and the historical record, Fox makes sense of it all and makes the best case - to date - of what actually occurred on the field that day. Combined with Gray's work [above] you've got information here available no where else!

The Custer Battle Casualties by Richard G. Hardoff [Upton & Sons, 1989] - Not of the same scope as those books I've mentioned, but highly informative, nonetheless. All first person accounts of finding the dead on the field, the identification of bodies, the wounds, burials, and reinterments are all here in one place. Not for the feint of heart!

Read 'em!! Maybe you'll catch the bug!!

Honorary Mention: Son of the Morning Star by Evan S. Connell [Harper & Row, 1984] - Not without its faults, but a wonderfully woven tapestry of Custer's life and the battle. It's written by a writer rather than a historian. Newbies ought to find it highly readable. Great introductory work!

report to moderator

joseph wiggs
Colonial Settler

USA

January 12 2005

Posted - January 13 2005 :  7:55:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree with your list completely. I would make one addition, "The Custer Myth" by Cpl. W. A. Graham. It is a wonderful source book for the novice who is just beginning his journey into Custer lore.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - January 24 2010 :  8:03:39 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I only recently completed what I think is the best over-all treatment of the Indian Wars/Little Bighorn combination: James Donovan's A Terrible Glory. It covers a LOT of ground, much like Son of the Morning Star, but in a more traditional historical and less novelistic telling. I'm not aware of any salient fact that's been overlooked. I aggree with Rich that the more analytic the author, the less likely to engage in sensationalism or Custer-bashing. Donovan is generally most critical of both Benteen and Reno, but also has pointed criticism of Gibbon and Crook for their intelligence failures earlier in the campaign. He convincingly demonstrates that everyone who survived the debacle had a personal axe to grind or reputation to protect; and his post-battle chapters showing how what might be termed collective memory unfolded over time, in the words of a chapter title, "For the Honor of the Regiment".

Another interesting book that Rich didn't mention that I found worthwhile is Wayne Michael Sarf's The Little Bighorn Campaign, one of the series Great Campaigns. This is a straightforward retelling of the basics of the entire 1876 campaign from a purely military history viewpoint.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Washita Battlefield National Historic Site Topic Next Topic: We have discovered another survivor of the Little Big Horn  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.28 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07