The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/29/2024 9:04:29 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The LOTM Locations
 The Author's Expanded Edition of On the Trail of the Last of the Mohicans!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Well this looks familiar Topic Next Topic: On the Trail of the Last of the Mohicans  

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - November 11 2003 :  12:24:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Coming Very Soon!

As our original compliment of On the Trail of the Last of the Mohicans nears depletion - we expect that to occur right around the New Year - we will offer a brand new, reworked, edition of the title for all to purchase through this web site. As you may be aware, the original was full-color throughout, a very expensive proposition. To cut costs, the new edition will, unfortunately, be in black & white, except for the covers. Don't despair! Many of the original photos can be had in various forms - and in color - through our MOHICAN PRESS CAFÉ.

To compensate, this new, expanded version [not to be confused with our originally planned, but defunct, Companion Guide] will feature:

* The complete original work
* Added photos
* Much more comprehensive site & location finding info, including updates
* Recommended itineraries
* Addition of Dupont State Forest [private property at the time of our original publication]
* Insights & anecdotes
* Updated & current accommodation listings
* All new introduction, notes, and credits
* Much more ... to be determined

Just got through discussing the costs/particulars with the company that will be printing this. Based on that, I expect the book to run in at about 200 pages [6x9 - same as previous edition], which is more than three times more pages than its predecessor! Should be fun! I only kept the original format to its condensed size due to the prohibitive costs of 4-color printing ...

Purchase of the guide book has been the main source of revenue for us allowing this web site to continue to exist, flourish, & expand. We hope that this permits the tradition to continue for many years more!

Here are some more samples of the b&w images -

Bass Pond Bridge of Albany

Tracking the Warparty

The Final Scene

Interesting ... the grayscale look gives it all more of a Cooper feel, you know?

Look for it soon at a Mohicans web site near you!!

report to moderator

Dances with Beagles
Colonial Settler

USA

May 19 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 11 2003 :  8:58:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by richfed

Purchase of the guide book has been the main source of revenue for us allowing this web site to continue to exist, flourish, & expand. We hope that this permits the tradition to continue for many years more!

I can't wait to get my copy! It looks awesome!

Quick question about revenue for the site....do you get much $ from amazon or cafepress? I've bought a few things from both, and I hope that the site sees some of the proceeds!

I'm enjoying my Mohican travel coffee mug, and I got my new calendar!

quote:

Interesting ... the grayscale look gives it all more of a Cooper feel, you know?

The black and white photos are great! Almost Ansel Adams...!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - November 12 2003 :  05:52:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the support, Dances!! Yeah, we get a bit from those types of purchases, but not nearly enough ... With Amazon it's a matter of mere pennies per purchase, so it takes a whole lot to add up to anything ... rarely does it. Commission check is usually about $40, or so ... that's per quarter!! CafePress would reap some significant benefits, however the sales aren't high enough ... yet. Everything else we sell - or try to - are bits and pieces, here & there. It's the guide book, far & away, that pays for this site. As it should be, I suppose - that's why we're here in the first place!

You, my dear, have been fully supportive from the get-go! Don't think it has gone unnoticed or unappreciated!! I plan to get to know you better this Gathering - I can barely remember you from 2000.

Here's hoping the putting together of this thing runs into no major snags ... now, where's that darn software!?!

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - February 10 2004 :  11:52:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Progressing nicely, this project is, and right on schedule. I expect to complete it this weekend. All but the covers that is. That may be the only snag that may delay it just a bit ... not my strong point.

I am excited about this!!!

Pre-release orders still available, at a discount, at: http://www.mohicanpress.com/authors_expanded_edition.html

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - February 29 2004 :  12:20:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
After some tinkering this morning, here's a potential cover - or idea for one, anyway - that may grace the extremities of the new - nearly completed - edition [224 pp] - Obviously, it has its origins in the old Companion Guide cover [defunct] that Lainey had done. Still waiting on a Rose Logo [from Ladylight - who's traveling about right now] on the spine. Anyway - comments & criticisms:

[A lot more fun doing this than arguing about gay marriage, Iraq, and the like, I'll tell you what ...]

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - February 29 2004 :  8:32:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
[A lot more fun doing this than arguing about gay marriage, Iraq, and the like, I'll tell you what ...]

-Rich

Amen to that.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - March 01 2004 :  1:14:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Except for proof-reading-type revisions, added Gatherer names, and a few other touch ups, here it is - compact, web-based version - On The Trail ... the Expanded Edition [download is about 3.2 MB, so it takes awhile - you will need Adobe Acrobat, a free download, on your computer to view it]. If you set the pages to fit the screen, and use the side-by-side page viewing, you'll actually feel like you're looking at a book - almost!

Enjoy ... or, not!

To purchase advance copies of the printed version, go here: Author's Expanded Edition

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - March 03 2004 :  06:09:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Minor revisions on-going, so the version you download may differ a bit from the final. I will periodically update the .pdf. It's been "proof-read" in spurts ... needs a thorough going over. Anyone who has downloaded it, and found something out-of-kilter - I want to hear from you!!!!

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - March 06 2004 :  1:26:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
More or less, a "final" revision has been uploaded. I increased the quality a bit, so now it's over 5 MB.

Cover is complete - all that's left to do is - publish!

Enjoy the on-line version ...

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - March 11 2004 :  05:46:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
PROGRESS UPDATE:

Both cover & text have been officially submitted to the publisher. A proof copy has been generated and I anxiously await its arrival here any day!

Once I look that over and give my approval and/or make revisions and re-submit [as will likely be the case], it's DONE - at long last ... ... it will be available and, once again, we'll be back On the Trail ...

Because this edition has an actual ISBN#, it can be made available at other outlets like Amazon.com, etc.

Jayne
Overseer of Ariel's Auction

Oak Leaf

May 23 2002

Posted - March 11 2004 :  11:35:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich,

Very exciting, indeed!!

And ONE of those is promised for Ariel's auction - don't forget, now!

Jayne

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - January 21 2012 :  2:24:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
January, 2012 on-line revision now uploaded: WEB EDITION

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - January 21 2012 :  3:52:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Will there be a paper version? Call me antiquated but I prefer them.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - January 22 2012 :  09:55:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, soon ... the web version is just for the convenience of the forum members ....
  Previous Topic: Well this looks familiar Topic Next Topic: On the Trail of the Last of the Mohicans  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.23 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07