The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/4/2024 11:47:10 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Historical Sites!
 Event: Thanksgiving!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Massasoit, King Philips War, and the REAL Uncas Topic Next Topic: Kewaunee and Kewaunee Harbor, Wisconsin
Page: of 2

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - November 14 2003 :  06:16:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Previous Month  November 2003  Next Month
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Ok, not a "site," per se, but certainly a state of mind and much more!

Perhaps my favorite holiday - Happy Thanksgiving to all Mohicanlanders!

Anybody have thoughts on the first Thanksgiving, its meaning, the history of how it came to be a National Holiday here in America, its significance ... anything!

report to moderator

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - November 14 2003 :  10:53:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"Our harvest being gotten in, our governor sent four men on fowling, that we might after a special manner rejoice together after we had gathered the fruit of our labors. The four in one day killed as much fowl as, with a little help beside, served the company almost a week. At which time, amongst other recreations, we excercised our arms, many of the Indians coming amongst us, and among the rest their great king Massasoit, with some ninety men, whom for three days we entertained and feasted, and they went out and killed five deer, which they brought to the plantation and bestowed on our governor, and upon the captain and others. And although it be not always so plentiful as it was at this time with us, yet by the goodness of God, we are so far from want that we often wish you partakers of our plenty." - Edward Winslow, 1621

The Plimoth settlers sure knew how to party. They had a week long celebration, hunting, eating, drinking, target shooting, some other sports, and most likely dancing. Kinda throws off the old Victorian stereotype image of solemn "pilgrims" dressed in black with big buckles on their hats, quietly eating their turkey dinner. They probably didn't even eat turkey that first harvest celebration, but more likely duck and goose. And since this "first thanksgiving" was after their harvest, it most likely happened in September or early October, not November. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays as well, and I think Winslow's last sentence above sums up the holiday perfectly:

"And although it be not always so plentiful as it was at this time with us, yet by the goodness of God, we are so far from want that we often wish you partakers of our plenty."

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Diane B.
Colonial Militia

Dream Catcher 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - November 14 2003 :  11:39:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi, Rich,

As you may recall, I am the Administrative Assistant for a company that provides education, training and employment opportunities to persons with disabilities. One of my responsibilities is to put together a weekly bulletin and once it's ready to go, it's e-mailed to all of our Board members and to everyone in the company that has e-mail; and it's also printed and distributed to all of our sites.

It just so happens that I did a little research on the history of Thanksgiving for an upcoming issue of our bulletin, and I'm happy to share that little article with all of you in Mohicanland.

The first Thanksgiving in America was celebrated in 1621 by English Pilgrims and American Indians in Plymouth Colony, which is now the state of Massachusetts. The Wampanoag tribe brought gifts of food to the Pilgrims as a gesture of goodwill, but there is no evidence to suggest that any of them thought of the feast as a thanksgiving celebration. Two years later, during a period of drought, a day of fasting and prayer was changed to one of giving thanks because rains came during the prayers. Gradually, the custom prevailed among New Englanders to annually celebrate Thanksgiving after the harvest.

Most Thanksgiving celebrations include a large meal of simple foods that recall the rustic virtues of the Pilgrims: turkey, bread-crumb stuffing, cranberry sauce, squash, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie. Additionally, most of these foods are native to North America and emphasize the bounty to be found in the adopted homeland of the early settlers.

In 1863, during the American Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed the last Thursday in November to be Thanksgiving Day, in order to bolster the morale of the Union troops. After the war ended, Congress established it as a national holiday. Today, Thanksgiving is mainly a celebration of domestic life, centered on the home and family.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Rattlesnake Woman

"The earth does not belong to us; we belong to the earth." - Chief Seattle

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - November 14 2003 :  12:48:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Much of what we think of today as characterizing Thanksgiving, dates no farther back than the Victorian era. When we think of a Thanksgiving meal, nearly everyone thinks of Turkey and stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie etc. But these are Victorian recipes, the settlers of Plimoth Plantation certainly didn't eat this stuff. So what did they eat at the first harvest home celebration in 1621?

Well we no for certain they had at least duck, goose, and venison. We know four men were sent fowling, and in one day they shot enough fowl to feed nearly 150 people for three days and more. Now what kind of fowl would be so abundant that in one day you could gather enough to feed 150 people for three days? Waterfowl! Waterfowl were incredibly abundant in 17th century America, flocks numbered in the thousands. You didn't even have to aim, just stand there and shoot, reload and keep shooting. Now turkeys are certainly fowl, but they are more elusive and live in the forest. Rather than going into the forest to hunt turkeys it is more likely that the four men went after the easier waterfowl. So besides ducks, geese, perhaps some other waterfowl, and venison brought by the Indians, what else did they eat?

Well Edward Winslow also listed the foods they had available in 1621:

"For fish and fowl, we have great abundance; fresh cod in the summer is but coarse meat with us; or bay is full of lobsters all the summer and affordeth variety of other fish; in September we can take a hogshead of eels at night, with small labor, and can dig them out of their beds all the winter. We have mussels and othus at our doors. Oysters we have none near, but we can have them brought by the Indians when we will; all the spring-time the earth sendeth forth naturally very good sallet herbs. Here are grapes, white and red, and very sweet and strong also. Strawberries, gooseberries, raspas, etc. Plums of three sorts, with black and red, being almost as good as a damson."

"Moving to those foods that were probably present, we can include various kinds of fish, eels, and shellfish, including lobster. Lobster, if taken with venison, would constitute the first surf and turf served on American soil. Fall would also have been the time that the various fruits mentioned by Winslow had ripened. The "sallet herbs" that were available in the spring would have been tough and coarse, and of little use. As for beverages, the likelihhod of beer in generous quantities seems quite high. Beer was consumed by all seventeenth-century English people in quantities that today would seem excessive. Almost every houshold produced its own beer, a custom continued in New England....Whatever the the precise nature of the harvest home feast was, it was consumed with using spoons, knives, which at that time had sharp points expressly intended to spear bits of meat, or with fingers. Forks would not make their apperarance until much later. The earliest fork recovered from an archaeological site in Plymouth dates to the very end of the seventeenth century. Forks originated in Italy, and while the English nobility may have been using them earlier in the century, the common folk considered them a foppish pretension. Few houses had been erected in the fall of 1621, so the entire celebration must have taken place out of doors, and lacking tables and chairs in any great number, most of the settlers and Indians sat on either the ground or any available object, be it a log, sea chest, or a rock. And when one remembers that nearly 150 people participated in the feast, in a relatively small area, the final image of our popular concept of the celebration falls away.

Winslow has given us a description of an event that, with only a small amount of interpolation, can be characterized by the smell of gunpowder mingled with the aroma of roasting meat, of a celebration bordering on the rowdy, with the sounds of firearms being discharged accompanying talking and shouting, in tw

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

Bill R
Colonial Militia

Farm Gnome
USA

July 03 2002

Posted - November 14 2003 :  4:07:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
For me, Thanksgiving isn't about re-enacting the first havest celebration. It isn't about celebrating colonial establishment, or some historical/mythical joint gemuchlicheit feast between native americans and colonists. It isn't about what they actually ate, or how they actually treated with the first peoples, or whether they were saints or sinners. All of that is of historical interest, mind you, but that's not what I think about when I think of Thanksgiving.

I think about the excitement I had as a kid knowing Thanksgiving was here, and right around the corner was Christmas holidays. I think about dead leaves on the ground and bare trees, playing in leaf piles, and the old folks watching football game after football game and wondering why - it was boring to me. I think about my mother - a single mom in the 50's - somehow always being able to buy the traditional thanksgiving dinner and cooking that big turkey in the electric roaster. I remember the smells of it, and basting it frequently (she let that be my job) and helping her make the stuffing and stuffing that bird with her. I remember her making mincemeat and pumpkin pies, and the candied sweet potatoes and all the rest with steam in our small kitchen and our dining room table spread way out with all leaves in it. I remember it as a family holiday where no matter what had occurred during the year between us all, we came together for that day and tried to be nice to each other and were thankful for family - the most important thing in a person's life and the most lasting thing. I remember it as nostalgic and warmth and a happy protected and loved feeling.

That's what Thanksgiving meant to me then, and still means to me today. It's one reason I grew up thinking family and family holidays were important and passed that along to my kids. It had nothing to do with history, ultimately, and I didn't much care how the tradition had started. It started with my grandmother who passed that feeling of family and love on to my mother, who passed it on to me, who have passed it on to my kids. NO day was more an illustration of that feeling and those values more than Thanksgiving. That's what it means to me.

The memory of my mother, somehow affording that dinner on her limited income, spending all day working on the meal with my grandmother helping and my grandfather entertaining my sister or watching the Thanksgiving Day Parade on television. Thanksgiving to me is the day I most thank God for the family I had, the life I have led, and those who have come into my life to make it special.

I don't care if they ate goose or duck - both of which I like. I don't care if lobsters and shellfish abounded at that meal - foods so expensive now they are reserved for special treats. It just ain't Thanksgiving if I am not experiencing those nostalgic sights and sounds of my childhood. This year, more than any before, I MUST have those sights, sounds and smells....those exact same sights, sounds and smells...because this year will be the first my mother is not living to enjoy them.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 14 2003 :  4:25:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
She'll be there with you, Bill. You won't see her, but she will be there.

Carter
Colonial Militia

Tiger
USA

August 28 2003

Donating Member

Posted - November 14 2003 :  10:05:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I love seeing the extended family every other year at Thanksgiving. I am grateful for family! Although we may not always like each other, we always support each other.

Kurt
Mohicanite

The Old Trapper
USA

September 27 2003

Posted - November 15 2003 :  07:48:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm with you, Bill. As I was hand grinding coffee beans with my grandmother's mill this morning, I was thinking how right you are about the importance of Thanksgiving. I guess being born in the fall made me think the year started when the leaves turn colors. The first major holiday of the year and no school. We all would rendezvous in my grandmother's kitchen. The coffee percolating and when I was small a cup with one inch of sugar, three inches of milk, and a little coffee to give it some color. Soft boiled eggs spooned into a cup with butter and salt stirred in. Crispbread and more butter and slices from the small wheel of Jarlsberg cut with the cheese plane and sill from Norway in an blue octagonal can with a round lid . She would take a fish from the can and with a fork and knife prepare two fillets with never a scale or a bone before you could read this sentence. The grownups would straggle in eventually as the aromas from the preparations for the feast wafted through the whole house. My grandfather did not like turkey, so we always had "Swedish Turkey", our euphemism for roast leg of lamb. Always there was mashed potatoes and plenty of gravy. There had to be three kinds of vegetables; green beans and cubed rutabagas most years and something from the store, maybe frozen spinach. Two kinds of pie and mounds of vanilla ice cream and more coffee rounded things out. Finally folks would ease back from the table and what my brother calls "Swedish discussions" would start. One person would strongly state a firmly held opinion. Another would just as strongly state a diametrical opinion. I don't really know what was discussed since the opening salvo was my cue to see if the sunfish were biting or go rustle up a squirrel or two (or on a good day a rabbit) for tomorrow's supper. I love seeing the relations and it's great to break bread together on a happy occasion but walking is a better way to aid my digestion, your mileage will vary.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Kurt

Yr. obt. svt.
Kurt

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 22 2003 :  8:49:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
When I think of Thanksgiving, it gives me a warm feeling because the whole family gets together and we get to catch up with what all is going on in each others lives. This is the ONE day that we all get to spend together. I love my family, so this day is very special for me, but after reading Bill's letter, I do realize that I won't always have my family with me. Bill, your mama may not be with you in body, but I know that she is in your heart, so she WILL be there with you!!!

Love,
Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end
As long as goodness exists
Winds shall always soothe

www.cloudsbooks.com

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - November 23 2003 :  06:44:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Personally, I'd just as soon order out some Chinese food.

~~Aim small, miss small.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 23 2003 :  12:59:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
LOL! You and me, both, Scott!

I have cooked so many Thanksgiving dinners over the years. Frankly, I don't enjoy it any more. I know, I know... that's practically sacrilegious. But, I have to be honest. Last year, DH took me out to eat on the big day, because our company came the day after. So, I still had to cook, but I was able to enjoy a Thanksgiving meal that someone else cooked, for once.

It was very nice.

Carter
Colonial Militia

Tiger
USA

August 28 2003

Donating Member

Posted - November 23 2003 :  1:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Cooking the bird and preparing the feast seem to be the domain of the matriarchs in my family and I have yet to cook a Thanksgiving dinner even though I am (gasp)40 years of age. I keep thinking my mother and mother-in-law will tire of it and let some of the daughters and daughters-in-law take over, but I guess they are afraid we will screw it up! (With good reason I might add, ROFL!)

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - November 27 2003 :  05:58:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
To me, Thanksgiving is a mix of all of the above - that is, tradition & history along with family [with a healthy dose of Dallas Cowboys football thrown in! ].

It is a time, too, of reflection, to rise above all the grumbling, whining, & complaining we do all year - usually over the mundane - and try to appreciate all that God has given us here on Earth.

Though I've done my share of griping this past year, I truly have much to be thankful for.

First on my list is the remarkable recovery & progress of my little one-year old, Sophia. This time last year, I was just thankful that she was still alive. This year, I can be thankful for her warm & pleasant presence here in my home everyday. She is a joy. She is joyful. It is hard to describe just how happy she is without you experiencing her first-hand. She is a marvel. Now, instead of worrying about her life itself, I worry about "will she be able to speak normally?" - not a minor concern, but a heckava lot better than "will she be alive tomorrow?"!!! She is bright & beautiful.

And so are the other nine of my offspring - Jesse, Adam, Christopher, Miriam, Elizabeth, Olivia, Daniel, Isabella, and Michael - bright & beautiful [and healthy] all! I am thankful for that.

I am also thankful for my wife of some 24 years, Lainey. There are lots of reasons that I am thankful for the opportunity to have shared these years with her, but I'll mention just one - perhaps at the top of the list [today, anyway!]. When we sit down for dinner later on, this chef extraordinaire [yes, she really is an excellent cook, and enjoys doing it!] will present the whole lot of us with:
  • a wonderfully basted turkey
  • delicious stuffing
  • mashed potatoes with giblet gravy
  • sweet potatoes
  • Brussels sprouts with chestnuts
  • creamed onions
  • turnips
  • corn
  • apples & carrots
  • figs
  • bread & butter
  • pecan pie
  • pumpkin pie
  • apple cider
  • egg nog

I can't wait! Probably, I've forgotten a thing or two.

I'm thankful I have a decent job that allows me to pay for all that bounty.

I'm thankful for all my extended family & friends - some of whom date back to childhood, friends still.

I'm thankful that my old computer keeps on chugging & allows me to intermingle with all you fine folks. Hope it does so for many years to come! And every-time I peer into my closet & see my box of goodies & a longrifle in the corner, well ... I'm thankful!

I'm thankful that dear old Kate posted here a couple of times this past week. Maybe, sometime Marcia might follow suit ... or Gayle. Like I told Kate, I live in Never, Never Land. Hope you all do, too!

Have a great day, all! [PS to Ilse & Bill R - You, too! ]

And remember always, Go Cowboys!

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - November 27 2003 :  11:18:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Happy Thanksgiving to you, Rich.

No pass me the phone so I can order some of that Hunan Turkey with Fried Wild Rice.

And listen up for that croc.

~~Aim small, miss small.

Chris
Colonial Settler

Hawkeye II
USA

May 25 2002

Posted - November 27 2003 :  2:39:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you too. I'm thankful for family and friends, a warm fireplace, and for WINTER!! It's well below zero and beautiful out. We have lots of snow and it's looking like the beginning of a holiday season should look.
Take care and enjoy the holidays.
Chris

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 27 2003 :  6:52:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, the Turkey Tetrazzini I made turned out very well! (Gotta keep my very Italian family happy.) We had a lovely--although not very quiet, with three step-grandkids in the house--day that was filled with fun, laughter, good food, a bottle of fine Oregon Pinot Noir and, of course, football. It just doesn't get much better, does it? And I am so thankful for all of it!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 28 2003 :  10:31:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
A belated Happy Thanksgiving to all, and remember as the Sarge always says, "There is room for all of God's little creatures, right next to the mashed potatos".

Your Most Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - November 30 2003 :  02:52:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Happy Holidays from the 42nd.

Highlander

lonewolf
Colonial Settler

Lonewolf

February 12 2004

Posted - October 22 2004 :  12:29:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Eat your turkey and have some pumpkin pie. Belch and drool. Have a good day.

There were many "thanksgivings", most of which were celebrated for annhialating Indian tribes. The wonderful Puritans (the "pilgrims")were the first American "Taliban". They were horrible religious fanatics. I am sure that England would have paid their passage to America if they promised to never return, as England would have been glad to rid themselves of these rotten people. If you wonder why we have separation of church and state, they are the reason. The theocracy that they set up in the New England states was something that Saddam Hussien would have been proud of. Their preachers were nothing short of ayatollahs, as they were judge, jury, and executioners. Cotton and Increase Mather were two of the worst. They were responsible for thousands of murders of Indians and another large number of their own people who were deemed "guilty" of heresy and Lord knows what else by these two pukes.
Many innocent people were hanged as witches. These wonderful Puritans (nothing pure about them) heard that there was a boatload of Quakers coming to America by sea, and tried to gather up a mob to drown them before they could reach shore. Fortunately for the Quakers, the Puritans weren't able to mobilize the mob in time. The Puritans hated all other Christian sects, especially the Shakers, who mocked their stupid pious act.

Also, the Puritan pilgrims didn't land at Plymouth Rock, but about three miles north of it. No-one used the rock to step out of any boat onto land. Makes for a good story to tell to the elementary school kids. Along with Santa and the Easter Bunny. The present day Indians will be protesting this holiday again this year in New England. And they should.
The truth is a bitter pill to swallow.

Yes, the turkey kind of sticks in my throat. What do Native Americans have to celebrate on Thanksgiving? Try "survival" of those of us who are still around. We would have done well to have drowned the whole bunch of these narrow-minded fanatics.

Ken Lonewolf / Shawnee

Ken Lonewolf

blueotter
Colonial Settler

BlueOtter
USA

September 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - October 22 2004 :  5:41:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit blueotter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Lonewolf,
Not to deny that any of the acts you mentioned were done by the Pilgrims, I just wanted to say that I am a direct descendent of two of those original families from Plymouth... I think all would agree that we aall people have some ancestors that were less than perfect, even Natives.

I remember reading about William Brewster, who is one of mine, and how he stayed up for days on end helping several of the people in his colony when an epidemic of fever broke out. He was considered kind and selfless... I don't remember reading that he performed any massacres personally. Many religious groups are hard on other groups that don't believe as the do. The Catholics, for instance, massacred many Cathars in Europe long before the Puritans arrived in North America. Not ALL Catholics did this. I'm only mentioning these things because it's a good time (holiday season) to start thinking about the present moment and not let the past become a poisoin in our hearts. It's not good for anyone to do so for any length of time. It's hard for some who have suffered personal loss more than someone else, but it's still important to try. This does not mean that I am For or Against the war in Iraq. I'm just trying to make my life a little less stressed by my perspective.

So, at the dawn of this holiday season, which to me starts well before halloween, I wish all of you a PEACEFUL HOLIDAY SEASON, and remember,
I love ya' big!

Rose

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 23 2004 :  06:13:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lonewolf

Eat your turkey and have some pumpkin pie. Belch and drool. Have a good day.

Yes, the turkey kind of sticks in my throat.

May I suggest some apple cider to wash down that turkey?

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 23 2004 :  4:04:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Lonewolf,

I am so very sorry that you seem to have so much hatred in you over things that happened so very long ago. It just really is too bad that you are not able to put the far past behind you and move on and live in the 21st century. I wonder why, though, you haven't talked about hatred toward other Native tribes, particularly the Iroquois nations who drove the Shawnee out of their homelands of Ohio and western Pennsylvania in the mid 1600s? Or any of the other tribes who pushed and shoved the Shawnee around through the 1700s?

You know, the Mohawk killed a number of my family members during the Revolutionary War years in the Mohawk Valley. Their homes and farms and crops were burned in the raids of Joseph Brant and his allies. One of my ancestors, a woman, was scalped and left for dead, but survived. Do I harbor hatred for the Mohawk people? Absolutely not! Do I carry on about how horrible and savage they were? Absolutely not. In fact, I would be thrilled and proud to have friends who are Mohawk.

You see... to me, Thanksgiving is not really about emulating that first Thanksgiving. And yes, we do all know that Plymouth Rock is merely a symbol. And yes, we do all know that the Puritans were not very tolerant. Thanksgiving is about family and traditions and sharing and gathering and, yes, eating good food... turkey and all!

And above all, Thanksgiving has no room for hatred. What a shame that you can find nothing in your heart to celebrate on this Thanksgiving. I feel very sorry for you.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - October 23 2004 :  4:46:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
And yes, we do all know that Plymouth Rock is merely a symbol.

Besides, no one would land on a rock that looked like a Plymouth!

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - October 23 2004 :  5:42:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This year I'll be giving thanks for many things, but especially for the Puritans and their legacy. I thank God for the Puritan foundation of this nation. I am proud to be descended from several 1620 Mayflower passengers (who were not all Puritans) and I am filled with admiration for their sacrifices and accomplishments.

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

alikws
Colonial Settler

USA

October 23 2003

Posted - October 26 2004 :  5:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
the puritans in the massachusetts bay colony, who proclaimed the 1637 "thanksgiving" {disease killing the native population, proof of providence "clearing the way for a better growth", colonists should help this in their own way} and the sepritists of plimouth colony {this doesnt look like virginia} were completely different groups, in culture values and government... that the pilgrams were puritans is another completely wrong myth i'd like to see go away...
i'm planning to go to plimouth this year to see what changed and what didnt...

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - October 26 2004 :  8:35:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wouldn't the 1637 "thanksgiving" be in thanks for their victory of the Pequots after the Pequot War of 1636-7?

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, our modern thanksgiving is based more on the English yearly harvest feast, than the 17th-18th century practice of having a "day of thanksgiving" (which was more a day of humbling oneself in prayer during times of trial, often proclaimed during times of war.)

Yep, Massachusetts Bay and Plimoth were two seperate colonies until 1692. The predominant religion of both colonies was basically Calvinst or Reformed in theology, although there were some differences in religious practice and government between the two colonies early on. Both however were culturally similar as the majority of colonists in both came from southern England. But there were socio-economic differences between the two colonies. The Puritans of Massachusetts Bay wanted to reform or purify the Church of England. The Seperatists or "pilgrims" of Plimoth wanted to leave the Church of England all together. In time Massachusetts Bay seperated from the Church of England as the Congregational form of church developed. By the end of the 17th century there was little difference between the two groups.

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Massasoit, King Philips War, and the REAL Uncas Topic Next Topic: Kewaunee and Kewaunee Harbor, Wisconsin  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.72 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07