The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/17/2024 11:06:10 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Historical Sites!
 Kewaunee and Kewaunee Harbor, Wisconsin
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Thanksgiving! Topic Next Topic: Sturgeon Bay and Cave Point, Lake Michigan  

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 24 2007

Posted - October 04 2011 :  11:04:13 AM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Originally I'd thought to leave this particular site out of descriptions of places visited, but a couple of things changed my mind: first, I'd already shown a photo of its harbor light; and second, my ruminating about the early French presence in this region. Though there's nothing left from that period, it's certainly worth remembering. Kewaunee itself is a pleasant little villiage and county seat on Lake Michigan that well-represents the many similar small towns that dot the Great Lakes shorelines. The guidebook for a walking tour of the restored Marquette Historic District of mainly late-Victorian and early Twentieth-century residences says:

"Kewaunee's recorded history dates back to the seventeenth century. When Jean Nicollet visited in 1634, it was the site of a large Potowotami village. Forty years later, on November 1, 1674, Father Marquette said mass in what is now Kewaunee...More than a hundred years later, in 1795, Jacques Veau, a French trader, established a trading post at the mouth of the Kewaunee River."

Image Insert:

55.98 KB

This pleasant if undistinguished park is supposedly the site of Marquette's mass; I can testify to the quality of the restaraunt!

Image Insert:

41.97 KB

Image Insert:

47.16 KB

Across the small harbor stands the former Coast Guard station, now private residences; nearby the old U. S. Corps of Engineers harbor tug is open for tours.

Image Insert:

39 KB

Image Insert:

51.37 KB

Image Insert:

58.49 KB

The small downtown seen here from a jetty contains various public buildings like the 1930's Post Office. The high hill at left would've been a good spot for the Potowotami village in good summer weather, being the higest point; it's now the site for the 1870's county courthouse. ( The cannon in front of the G.A.R. monument, known as a twelve-pounder howitzer, is one of a pair manufactured by Cyrus Alger & Co. in 1846 - 47. )

Image Insert:

44.4 KB

Image Insert:

73.34 KB

Also "downtown" is the over-a-century-old former Hotel Karsten, now the Kewaunee Inn, largely rebuilt in the 1920's after a devastating fire.

report to moderator
  Previous Topic: Thanksgiving! Topic Next Topic: Sturgeon Bay and Cave Point, Lake Michigan  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.19 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07