The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/17/2024 2:58:19 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The GREAT MOHICAN GATHERINGS
 The Next Great Advent'cha! Gathering X - 2012
 ANNOUNCING...THIS YEAR'S GATHERING GADGET!
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: 2004 Gathering Sign-Ups Officially Begin! Topic Next Topic: 5-MONTH Gathering Update & Checklist!  

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 06 2004 :  11:55:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message
Prior to Gathering #3 (my second gathering) I had the zany idea to come up with a Gathering Gadget. I had for many years, already had the reputation of being a sucker for a gadget (you should see my kitchen). I also remembered the ROASTING temperatures the year before on the rock cliff trails at Chimney Rock (Awww, they weren’t that bad – I’m just a wimp I suppose) I resolved to bring a gadget with me to ward off any unsightly dampness brought on by BLISTERING (again exaggerating here) temps on the trails. At the local Wally World, just a few months before the gathering, I came upon the first outstanding Gathering Gadget. The Misty Mate is a canister of water, under pressure (pumped up by use-ee). That releases a refreshing mist of cooled water particles (cooled because the particles are so small they begin to evaporate immediately) that if sprayed ahead of ones advancing SWEALTERING body allows one to be bathed in a mist of cooling, evaporating mist that chills the air up to 30 degrees. What a discovery! Us Misty Maters strolled the INTENSE BLAZING of the cliff trails and the SCORCHING HEAT of the Table Rock trail in complete refreshment. Of course, I have been accused of using an oxygen tank when geared up with this apparatus, but what the hay, huffing and puffing aside – I WAS COOL!

This was such a winning idea (to me anyway) that I decided to make the Gathering Gadget a tradition by introducing the Glammy Chamois (heretofore known as GC) the next gathering. This synthetic chamois cloth (found in the automotive section at…you guessed it…Wally World) came in a variety of girly colors (as well as the more masculine regular chamois color) AND was versatile to boot! When wet and then rung out, it stays cool and invigorating in the SOARING HEAT. It could be used to lightly pat any “glistening” features and when hung around the neck the evaporation (a key word in combating HEAT STROKE) provided soothing relief to a BURNING neck. A damp GC is also useful snapping at the rumps of any other gatherers that appear to be getting along just splendidly in the face of your torture AND for use around a late evening campfire to get those breechclout wearers to “move around a little bit “ to afford us gals a better visual experience! When dried…the GC becomes hard and rigid and can be used to trip up lacrosse players or to sneakily lift said breechclouts…again to enhance the visual experience of the gathering for us argus-eyed lovers of colonial era attire! This device was also instrumental in saving the lives (did I mention that I have a predisposition to exaggerate) of several gatherers caught unwillingly in the tormenting throws of the now infamous Bataan Death March at Dupont State Forest. Have I used the word HEAT STROKE yet…Ah yes, I see I have, well it merits use here again!

In addition to making sure I never leave the comfort of the Geneva without my gadgets, I have a penchant for carrying other cooling devices such as battery operated fans and walking sticks and chapstick and HUGE water bottles. At this point I find it flattering when stopped by small children along the trails as they ask…”Hey Lady, do you work here?” or “Hey Lady, are you a doctor?” and “Hey Lady, are you doing experiments up here?” But I NEVER tire of the comments such as “Wow, now she has the right ide
report to moderator

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 06 2004 :  12:22:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
HEAT??? Did someone say HEAT??? I didn't know that it was gonna be HOT!!! Ummmmmm. is it too late to back out. Just kidding, HEAT or no HEAT, I'm gonna be there!!!
Diana, I liked the hat, but I think that the mister would be even better. I am gonna have to get a mister, and a hat, and anything else to keep cool.

Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end
As long as goodness exists
Winds shall always soothe

www.cloudsbooks.com

report to moderator Go to Top of Page

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - February 06 2004 :  1:35:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
COOL, GG ... sounds & looks neat, but, what HEAT????

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 06 2004 :  7:07:13 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, now, GG... This explains just a whole heck of a lot of things for me! I have long been quite curious about your Mohicanland name and your "Title." In fact, I had been meaning to get around to asking you about it someday. Now I won't have to!

Now, I really like that fan-hat! Such a wide variety of possible uses. You must be very certain to have someone take a picture of you while you are wearing your fan-hat on your head and your Kooldanna around your arm (because it probably won't fit under the fan-hat), walking into the mist-cloud created by your Misty Mate, and lifting the kilt of the laddie in front of you with your... er... rigid... Glammy Chamois.

Can't wait to see it!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - February 06 2004 :  7:48:05 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I GOTTA HAVE ME ONE OF THEM!!

Good Lord, Girl, you are simply amazing. Loved your build up and presentation for this year's gadget. But let me ask you...do you think it'll be hot?

Theresa

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 09 2004 :  10:45:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Dianna!!! Guess what??? No, I didn't order me a fan hat, but I did get a mister!!! I am going to be cool and collected this June. I already have my sunblock too!!! Got to have that because the sun and I just don't like each other too much!!! I get burnt really really fast!!! When you have red hair and fair skin, you learn to slather sunblock on any exposed skin!!! I think the people Eckerds think that I am crazy for buying summer items in February, but I plan on being prepared.

Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end
As long as goodness exists
Winds shall always soothe

www.cloudsbooks.com

Previous Topic: 2004 Gathering Sign-Ups Officially Begin! Topic Next Topic: 5-MONTH Gathering Update & Checklist!  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.28 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07