The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/17/2024 4:35:42 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The GREAT MOHICAN GATHERINGS
 Gathering Gossip & Ganders [?]
 Famous Louise's Rock House Restaurant
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: The Throwback ... 2002 Gathering Topic Next Topic: Gathering Gatherers Names
Page: of 2

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - March 06 2004 :  5:35:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I well remember some Gatherers at the 1998 Gathering becoming highly amused at the paradox that is Louise's. Apparently, we ain't the only ones!!! Louise's & the Georgia House of Representatives! Lick yer chops!

Ah, a day in the Gorge!!! See: 2004 Gathering, Day 2 - Includes 2 meals at the Rock House!
report to moderator

Ilse
The Dutch Trader

Weerribben
Netherlands

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 06 2004 :  6:00:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ilse's Homepage  Send Ilse a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

That's all, folks!

OH HAI!
Blessinz of teh Ceiling Cat be apwn yu, srsly.
http://www.lolcatbible.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 06 2004 :  6:11:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good Heavens! With all of that buildup, fraught with suspense, I was expecting something really earth-shattering. That was positively anti-climactic! Couldn't they at least have declared Louise's to be located in only one county?

That is funny!

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - March 07 2004 :  08:57:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Tax dollars at work! Makes you proud.

Cherie
Colonial Settler

Bug
USA

July 02 2002

Posted - March 08 2004 :  07:30:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I am so GLAD that they took time to meet and agree on this very vital subject. WHEW!!! now that that is settled.

Support our Country, our President and our Troops

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 08 2004 :  10:30:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich, do you know WHY GEORGIA? I could understand us silly North Carolinians doing this, but GEORGIA!

I am so bummed I am gonna miss this day of the gathering. I REALLY enjoy their Liver Mush and Eggs!!!!!...not to mention missing out on the view from the "Top of the World!!!!"

GG

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 08 2004 :  12:22:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Gadget Girl
...I REALLY enjoy their Liver Mush and Eggs!!!!!...

Say what?!?

Is this one of those "wonderful" regional Su-u-u-thun dishes that we Yankees usually cannot manage to force down if our lives depend upon it? Like.... grits or... or... [gag] OKRA...???

I mean, youse-all have given us many other absolutely wonderful dishes. Southern Fried Chicken and Sweet Potato Pie come to mind. But. There are some....

I have never heard of [shudder]"Liver Mush." Not only that, I don't think I will ever be trying it!

Kurt
Mohicanite

The Old Trapper
USA

September 27 2003

Posted - March 08 2004 :  12:35:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Never heard of pate? Or leberwurst? OK, chopped liver isn't for everyone but everyone's heard of it.

More scrapple, anyone?

Yr. obt. svt.
Kurt

Gadget Girl

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 08 2004 :  12:56:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
YEA BABY! Liver Mush or Liver Pudding!! It's great sauteed in bacon drippings and placed on bread with mayonnaise to make a great breakfast sandwich or as Louise's fixes it, sliced and fried until soft and served with eggs, as you would sausage. WW, I don't care for straight girts either (but LOVE polenta) even though I am one ...GRITS - G irls R aised I n T he S outh, but some FRIED OKRA or stewed up all slimy with tomatoes...Yummmmmmmmmy!

In case you can't get any up your way, I'll include a recipe!

Basic Liver Mush

1 fresh hog liver
1 1/2 lbs. fresh fat pork (THIS would make Emeril proud - It's a Pork Thang)
2 c. cornmeal
Red pepper
Salt
Black pepper
Sage

Cook liver and fat pork until tender. Remove from broth the liver
only and grind. Add corn meal, peppers, and sage to taste. Add
enough of the broth to soften mixture. Cook in saucepan until meal
has cooked, stirring constantly. Put in mold. Press down until
cold. Slice and serve cold or broil.

Hmmmm, sounds like liver polenta!

Truth be told WW, I don't eat Liver Mush often, mostly growing up, that's why I LOVE to get it a Louise's! They do it right!

GG

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 08 2004 :  1:28:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kurt
Never heard of pate? Or leberwurst?

Yes, sir, I most definitely have heard of both of those... and have eaten both. But that's not what GG said. Also, in reading the recipe she has provided, I can see that Liver Mush is a bit different from both pate' and "liverwurst." I don't believe either of those have corn meal in them, do they?

GG... very fresh liver, properly prepared, can be excellent! Your recipe is definitely tempting. Perhaps someday...

Okra? No way! no how!

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 08 2004 :  1:43:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh shoot!!! My post didn't go through that I just wrote, but I LOVE grits. Just had some this morning. They are especially good if you scramble up some eggs, and then you mix it all together and put a dash of salt and pepper on them. YUMMY!!! I hate Cream of Wheat!!! YUCK!!! I like tomatoes and okra. I'm not real fond of fried okra though. GG, is polenta the same thing as hominy? If it is, then I don't like it. Isn't it weird how you usually like one or the other but not both. Ummmmm, y'all can have the liver mush. I have never eaten it, but I don't think that I would like it, but now if it was fried chicken livers, then pass them my way please.

Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end
As long as goodness exists
Winds shall always soothe

www.cloudsbooks.com

Gadget Girl

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 08 2004 :  3:20:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Here ya go Kay - I found this and it describes it better than I could.

Grits and polenta are not exactly the same thing, although both come from corn. Polenta is usually yellow (there is white corn in Friuli which is sometimes used) and is really nothing more than boiled corn meal. Grits are made by drying white corn and treating it with certain chemicals before grinding.

Both polenta and grits show up most often as a side dish. Friulans are fond of topping polenta with just about any type of meat or fish. Most satisfying on a cold winter's day is a bowl of polenta served with good sausages, perhaps cooked in tomato sauce with peppers. Polenta may be served in its creamy, just-cooked state or may be allowed to solidify, after which it can be sliced and sauteed, grilled or fried prior to serving.

To read more about polenta and the rest of this article:

http://www.initaly.com/regions/friuli/sims.htm

I get the cold solid variety (packed like sausage) that can usually be found in the produce section of the supermarket (SuperWalmart has it....NOT that I can EVER be caught in a Walmart ). The kind I buy has had flavor added like sundried tomato and garlic, or roasted garlic. Then you cut slices about a 1/2 inch thick and saute in butter or Olive Oil. If you love grits, you'd LOVE polenta I think. Funny, I like Cream of Wheat, but the texture of grits bothers me. Go Figure!

GG

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 08 2004 :  3:44:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Amazingly, even with an Italian husband, I have never eaten Polenta.

I love both Cream of Wheat and Cream of Rice, as long as I can sweeten both with brown sugar or maple syrup, but I am not fond of grits.

But I like corn tortillas, especially when made into enchiladas! A-HOO-ah!

Kurt
Mohicanite

The Old Trapper
USA

September 27 2003

Posted - March 08 2004 :  6:42:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yup, different fillers depending on what starch is available.

Liver is one of those food where it is vital that the cook likes eating it. If the person who cooks it doesn't like eating it, you probably won't enjoy it either.

Yr. obt. svt.
Kurt

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 08 2004 :  7:32:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hmmmm, I might have to try polenta one day. I like almost anything made out of corn. In fact, I am going to have some cornbread and black-eyed peas tonight. cornbread ranks right up there with grits for me.

Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 08 2004 :  9:21:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kurt
Liver is one of those food where it is vital that the cook likes eating it. If the person who cooks it doesn't like eating it, you probably won't enjoy it either.

This is very true, Kurt. Also, folks often overcook liver, which tends to make it resemble finely tanned saddle leather. My Mom always did that when I was growing up, consequently I couldn't stand the stuff.

When I was on the homestead up in the north country, a friend gave us a big chunk of freshly butchered calves' liver. Since we were living below the poverty level and didn't waste anything, I got out my trusty "Joy of Cooking" book and read up on the proper way to saute' it. The result was quite a surprise for me! It was very tender and had a delicate flavor and... I liked it!

So, Gatherers...... what other interesting and varied Southern dishes that I have never heard of do they serve up at Louise's?

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - March 09 2004 :  04:56:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Cheeseburgers & fries?!? With Southern sweet tea, of course!!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 09 2004 :  07:51:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hmmmm.... cheeseburgers and fries? Hmmmmmm... I think I've heard of those. In fact, I think I have eaten... oh...maybe one or two.

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 09 2004 :  08:01:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Cheeseburgers & fries?!? With Southern sweet tea, of course!!

Well, you couldn't really call it a southern restaurant if it didn't have sweet tea. Whenever I go to Florida, I have the hardest time finding a restaurant that serves sweet tea.

Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

Kate
Ariel's Cabin Caretaker, Retired

United Kingdom

June 10 2002

Posted - March 09 2004 :  11:34:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Okay... I'm an ignorant Scot - but one who just HAS TO know! How is 'sweet tea' different to 'tea, per se'? Here, you get tea and stipulate how you like it, ie. with milk, without, sugar, without...

So... how does 'Southern Sweet Tea' differ from 'Northern' tea?

After having eaten in Louise's a few times, I say EVERYTHING TASTES WONDERFUL - after the VERY EARLY 'Sunrise at Greenknob'!!! You can find yourself eating things you wouldn't NORMALLY eat, just 'cause you've been awake so long - AND ARE STARVING!!

But... their good ole ham and eggs - AVEC CORNBREAD, will fix it for me!

Kate

"Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thainig thu." (Remember the people from whom you came.)

~ Celtic Wisdom

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 09 2004 :  1:07:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So... how does 'Southern Sweet Tea' differ from 'Northern' tea?

Kate,
In the south, we add the sugar to the tea while it is still hot, and then we refrigerate it so that it is nice and cold. That way, when we get a glass of tea, it is already sweetened. If a restaurant down here only served unsweetened tea, they wouldn't last very long. Most of them offer it both ways.
The ham and eggs with cornbread sounds good to me!!!

Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

Gadget Girl

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 09 2004 :  1:36:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
In some places in the south..there is sweet tea and then there is SWEET tea. Some of the Bar-B-Q joints in my part of NC serve tea so sweet it is really tea-flavored simple syrup! AND if you don't want sweet tea, you better specify. It is usually Sweet Tea unless otherwise designated.

THEN there is Eastern NC BBQ and Western NC BBQ. BIG DIFFERENCE! Western NC BBq is tomato based and the other (MY FAV) is vinegar based. It's really funny driving in the western part of the state and seeing eastern NC BBQ advertized The eastern variety is also always PORK!

In looking over the picture of Louise's up top I so fondly recalled the two hours or so I spent sitting on those HARD ROCK STEPS. I had become the current gatherings chosen one to lock my keys in the car and waited and waited for the Locksmith to come while everyone else went on to Linville Falls. Seems someone does it almost every gathering. First, it was the Sweetsers (at Green Knob Overlook), then it MMMMarcia (also at Green Knob Overlook), then it was me (Just AFTER Green Knob overlook at Louises's ). SO BEWARE!!! On the Linvile Gorge day, everyone be VERY AWARE of where your keys are at all times!

GG

Kate

United Kingdom

June 10 2002

Posted - March 09 2004 :  2:47:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ahhhhhhh.... THANKS for the explanation, Kaylynn!! You wouldn't believe that I've been to America/N.C. for my holidays every year for the last six years - and never asked that question!!! Every time I come home I think 'wait a minute! I forgot to ask what 'sweet tea' was!' (And those of you who know me, know I LOVE MY TEA! So... this is important to me!)... Now I know and I'll FINALLY be able to sleep nights!!

Seriously, that's interesting. If tea was already sweetened in restaurants here, there would be MASS HYSTERIA! Folks are soooo into 'no sugar, less sugar, low fat, 'skinny milk' (as the Aussie's call it), that restaurants would be FRIGHTENED to add the sugar 'prior to'... Just goes to show the differences in cultures, what one country likes... Just goes to show you what a MISTAKE YOU CAN MAKE when ordering 'abroad'!! Still... that's half the fun of travelling - making a mistake in a restaurant and laughing about it afterwards!

Ohhhhh... Diana!! I remember trying out all those BBQ sauces in the 'Cajun Pig' in Chimney Rock last year!! I bought a big bag of BBQ Rib Rub and brought it home. I gave some to my son-in-law (he loves cooking) and kept the rest for using when having 'real special' guests!! NO WAY am I sharing it with folks I don't like much!!! HUH!! NO WAY!!

Geez, all those sauces were GOOD!! We're gonna do the 'Cajun Pig' again, aren't we??????

Kate

"Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thainig thu." (Remember the people from whom you came.)

~ Celtic Wisdom

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - March 10 2004 :  07:23:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
...and let's not forget The Woodlands Barbecue & Pickin' Parlor in Blowing Rock, N.C.

Theresa

Kate

United Kingdom

June 10 2002

Posted - March 10 2004 :  08:18:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OH, LET'S NOT!!!! Oh... that was GOOOOOD food!!!

Gee, I'm hungry just thinking about it!! Luckily - it's LUNCHTIME!!! I can go indulge in... a piece of ham and a few days old bagel... HUH?!?!

The world can be such a CRUEL place!

Kate

~ Celtic Wisdom

Jo
Sweetser 4 Rep

May 27 2002

Posted - March 22 2004 :  4:03:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, I'm sure glad I KNOW what Louise's Famous secret is; as the link doesn't work for me....and I still find it funny. Even funnier is to find the location on maps and see the county lines no where near Louise's so to speak!
Also amusing; I'm trying to remember what I've eaten at Louise's - don't really remember what I had!!! (That should say a lot!). I remember the good old hamburger and fries; but hold the grits (as in My Cousin Vinny)(I would have had a pic of my sisters' eating grits too!); the liver stuff I had at the resturant in Marion...... I remember Louise's running out of certain items; plates; silverware on one trip and another time; waiting for the hapless companions to return from a visit with the locksmith; only it was MMMMMMarcia's car not ours!!! What Louise's didn't have were Latte's or a decent cup of coffee; nor a lot of parking. But as long as I don't cook I'm not complaining about what I may or may not like at Louise's. I do remember that tea being very popular!

Jo
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: The Throwback ... 2002 Gathering Topic Next Topic: Gathering Gatherers Names  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.61 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07