The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/25/2024 8:06:15 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 Cooper's Corner
 The Leatherstocking Tales - in print?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Bits of the novel that are not in the film Topic Next Topic: Translation of character names  

nelipot
Lost in the Wilderness

United Blue States

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
July 22 2004

Posted - July 22 2004 :  2:05:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm half way through my first reading of Deerslayer, which I got out of the library. This edition is beautifully illustrated with scenes from the novel, photos of Cooper and his home, and a map of the Lake where the story takes place. I'd like to buy my own copy of the book (maybe even the entire series), and would love to own a nicely illustrated and informative volume like this instead of a pocket paperback, sans pictures.

Are the Leatherstocking tales currently in print in a quality, matching, hardcover set with comparable illustrations? Maybe available through some deluxe book club or something? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
report to moderator

hmacdougall
Pathfinder

general montcalm
USA

June 30 2003

Posted - July 22 2004 :  2:42:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Do you have the Albany: State University of New York Press (1987) edition? If so, the other four stories of the Leatherstocking Tales (The Pioneers; The Last of the Mohicans; The Pathfinder; and The Prairie) are available in the same series (along with many other Cooper novels and non-fiction works). These are be far the best edited texts of Cooper available (the texts have been adopted for the Oxford World Classics and Penguin Classics paperbacks, and for the Library of America 2-volume set -- but none of these have illustrations. They were issued in both hardbound and paperback editions (same inside pages.
You can probably find them on websites such as amazon.com (new and used) and www.abebooks.com (used), and some may be available (probably for more money since it sells at list) directly from the publisher at www.sunypress.edu The list price is $20 for paperback; $60 for hardback.
If you have further questions, let me know.

Hugh MacDougall, James Fenimore Cooper Society

Hugh MacDougall
James Fenimore Cooper Society
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

nelipot
Lost in the Wilderness

United Blue States

July 22 2004

Posted - November 13 2004 :  1:31:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's very helpful, thanks for the info!

nelipot footfree
Lost in the Wilderness

Canadian Trader

March 10 2008

Posted - March 11 2008 :  12:11:40 AM  Show Profile  Send nelipot footfree an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Do you have the Albany: State University of New York Press (1987) edition?

No, the edition I was reading was a 1911 edition from the library.

I'm still trying to learn more about these SUNY versions that you mention. Information along the lines of: What the books look like, do they have dust jackets or are they leatherbound, what's on the cover, and some sense of the illustrations. Neither the SUNY site nor Amazon have any pictures of these books. They do sound absolutely perfect but I am reluctant to buy something sight unseen.

I'm currently considering the Easton Press collection, which looks very nice but I plan to research the SUNY collection before I make a final decision. I don't want to be rushed into anything.

Here's the Easton Press set:

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - March 11 2008 :  08:49:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's a handsome set of books, Nelipot. (Also interesting that this line of inquiry has resumed after the last post in 2004! These books must be hard to find indeed.)

A few months back I checked out Cooper's Wept of Wish-Ton-Wish from my university library. It was a very old edition and originally part of a series of Cooper's novels, including the Leatherstocking Tales. It is from a late-1800's collection with black-and-white illustrations, published in New York by D. Appleton & Co. and advertised as "a new Library Edition of Cooper's Novels." Binding is brown cloth with gold lettering on the spine and cover. There are no photos, so this is probably not the edition you're looking for, but I just thought I'd throw that out there. Good luck hunting!

hmacdougall
Pathfinder

general montcalm
USA

June 30 2003

Posted - March 11 2008 :  10:56:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Dozens of sets of Cooper's 32 novels were published in cheap editions between the Civil War and World War I, a good many with illustrations by F.O.C. Darley from the edition published between 1859 and 1861 by W.A. Townsend in New York. Unfortunately, many of these cheap editions have fancy covers but badly printed or inaccurate texts.
The so-called "Cooper edition" begun about 1980 by the State University of New York Press in Albany, and now being continued by A.M.S. in New York, includes over a dozen Cooper novels (and six non-fiction works) in scholarly editions with extensive footnotes; illustrations are generally about the background of the books, not the stories. The texts are very carefully compiled from the manuscripts and/or early editions. They were published in both hardback and paperback versions, were (and are) not cheap, and a good many are out of print and must be sought on the used book market. The five so-called Leatherstocking Tales were re-printed in two volumes by the Library of America (minus the footnotes, and without illustrations) and are still in print. Library of America has also published (in one volume) two of Cooper's best-known sea stories: The Pilot and The Red Rover, also based on the SUNY Albany texts. In paperbacks, Oxford Classics and Penguin Classics also use the SUNY Albany texts.
There have been a number of fancily illustrated editions of Cooper's best known stories such as The Last of the Mohicans and The Deerslayer, including ones with famous illustrations by N.C. Wyeth.
Most Cooper novels are today available online in a variety of versions.
I'll be glad to try to answer any specific questions on Cooper editions, either on this forum or directly at jfcooper@stny.rr.com
Hugh MacDougall, Corresponding Secretary, James Fenimore Cooper Society

Hugh MacDougall
James Fenimore Cooper Society

MoneminsCastle
Pioneer

November 27 2008

Posted - May 12 2009 :  2:34:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The Last of the Mohicans
http://books.google.com/books?id=nmsAAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=inauthor:James+inauthor:Fenimore+inauthor:Cooper&lr=&as_drrb_is=q&as_minm_is=0&as_miny_is=&as_maxm_is=0&as_maxy_is=&num=100&as_brr=1&as_pt=ALLTYPES

The Deerslayer
http://books.google.com/books?id=W3sPAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA1&dq=The+Deerslayer&lr=&num=100&as_brr=1&as_pt=ALLTYPES

The Pathfinder
http://books.google.com/books?id=nfZKAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=The+Pathfinder%E2%80%8E&lr=&num=100&as_brr=1&as_pt=ALLTYPES

The Pioneers
http://books.google.com/books?id=ZWs_pe68p08C&printsec=frontcover&dq=The+Pioneers+Cooper&lr=&num=100&as_brr=1&as_pt=ALLTYPES

The Prairie
http://books.google.com/books?id=t1ULAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=The+Prairie&lr=&num=100&as_brr=1&as_pt=ALLTYPES
  Previous Topic: Bits of the novel that are not in the film Topic Next Topic: Translation of character names  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.34 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07