The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
3/29/2024 5:21:12 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 Cooper's Corner
 Translation of character names
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: The Leatherstocking Tales - in print? Topic Next Topic: Last of the Mohicans- illustrated by N.C. Wyeth  

Kay
Colonial Settler

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
January 06 2009

Posted - February 10 2009 :  1:57:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing that has constantly nagged at me since I read LOTM is the translation of the characters French names. Frequently used throughout the book, they are only used once or twice in the movie. Hawkeye/The Scout is La Longue Carabine meaning The Long Rifle. Chingachook is Le Gros Serpent meaning The Great Snake. Uncas(sorry Obi!) is Le Cerf Agile meaning The Nimble Deer or The Bounding Elk. All of these translations are found right in Cooper's text. But, the most used French name, Magua's Le Renard Subtil does not have a translation in Cooper's text-unless I overlooked it. After digging around on Cliff's notes I found a translation of Le Renard Subtil as The Subtle Fox. I have always wondered why there was no translation of Magua's name in the novel and always wanted to know what it meant since it was one of the only French names used in the movie's dialogue. Does Le Renard Subtil indeed translate to the Subtle Fox? I wonder why Cooper never mentioned it? Any ideas would be welcome!

Kay
report to moderator

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 10 2009 :  3:36:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Gee, and all this time I thought "Le Cerf Agile" meant The Falling Deer! My bad...
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Little Lady of Fire
Colonial Militia

Hawkeye 3
USA

March 31 2007

Posted - February 10 2009 :  9:19:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Gee, and all this time I thought "Le Cerf Agile" meant The Falling Deer! My bad...

*hugs my dear Obi* What would these boards be without you.

There are easier things in life then trying to find a good guy..... Nailing jelly to a tree for example.

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 11 2009 :  11:40:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, since we are on the subject of my favorite "bashee," I've discovered that Uncas was actually mentioned in the movie "The Alamo." I'm sure young master Dillon can back me up on this...

This first time the Mexican drummers and buglers play that evil no prisoners tune, Crockett and Travis are on the wall discussing it:

TRAVIS: Its called Deguello.

CROCKETT: Its kinda purty.

TRAVIS: It means slit throat.

CROCKETT: It aint that purty.

(You can find all sort of versions of this little tune on YouTube.)

Kay
Colonial Settler

USA

January 06 2009

Posted - February 11 2009 :  11:50:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Obediah

LOL You wish! And I just watched the Alamo the other day. You probably wish Uncas was among the indians who cooked Davy Crockett's potatoes!

Kay
  Previous Topic: The Leatherstocking Tales - in print? Topic Next Topic: Last of the Mohicans- illustrated by N.C. Wyeth  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.23 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07