The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/29/2024 4:55:25 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 BUMPPIN' 'ROUND BUMPPO'S
 The Tales MacWilliam ...
 Sittin' and Thinkin'
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: The Night of Merriment, 1758 - part 1 Topic Next Topic: Shelter in the Snow, Part 2
Page: of 2

Many Flags
Colonial Settler

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
August 13 2002

Posted - September 03 2002 :  06:25:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A small waterway winds its way through the valleys of the Allemaengel. Some call it Albany Township of the County of Berks in Penns Woods. My aged father, the German immigrant, has always called it the Allemaengel. Some say it translates from the Deutsch to "all wants" meaning it's a barren land, some say it means it gave us everything we needed when we came to this land almost twenty years ago. But, we believe it is from the old German "allemeine or allemaenge" meaning the Deutsche Mensche, the German people, for most of us in this northern corner of Berks County are of that descent, although mein Vater speaks of the SchweizLand at times. The rolling hills, deep valleys and waterways, large forests, remind us of our homes back in Schwabia, near Ludwigsburg in the old country. It is good land, somewhat rocky and difficult to farm at times. But, it is ours and mein Vater, the German immigrant, also makes his living from tanning hides, a white leather, from brain tannning, which he has learned from the Natives.
So, I sit here, thinking of the life we lead, and the adventures we have had. I smile as I think of my brothers Three Tales and Robert the tavern keeper. I am curious about my cousin Seamus and talk of other cousins living in far away Scotland who are military men, kilted men who are savage fighters. Would it be that I would ever meet these men, redcoated soldiers for the King of England, whom mein Vater swore allegiance to when he landed in Philadelphia back in 1737, signing his name to the paper of citizenship of a new land, this colony of Penns Woods?
Ahh, I sit and think, the mind wandering to the stories I must CHRONICLE.......... Pax Aye! Many Flags

report to moderator

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

May 23 2002

Posted - September 05 2002 :  11:25:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
And when will we get to hear them Malcolm?EM

Edmond N.Highlander Jr.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Many Flags
Colonial Settler

USA

August 13 2002

Posted - September 06 2002 :  06:47:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ahhh, MacKinnon....as you know, we Scots are great storytellers (Did you hear the latest about my Uncle Angus!!??), and you really should read the Chronicles that have already been published.....Volumes I, II, III. They "chronicle" the adventures which Malcolm MacWilliam, his brother Davey Gunn and the 77th Grenadiers have as they cross Penns Woods in 1758. Of course, their cousins are scouts for the 77th: Many Flags, Three Tales, and Seamus. All sorts of other characters weave in and out of the tales: Uncle Quasi and Uncle Angus (with his army of sheep!), Sign Talker, the savage Red Leaf, and the comical Red Bud.....well, you really should read them for yourself. This next set of Chronicles (Chronicles IV??), will begin to appear when the creative juices of Seamus, Many Flags, Three Tales, Malcolm MacWm., and Davey Gunn begin to flow....When will that be? Patience, my friend!! Slante' mhath! Sjt. MacWm.

Many Flags
Colonial Settler

USA

August 13 2002

Posted - September 06 2002 :  10:47:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The Nephew and Niece Learn of the Beginnings.....(if you have read the MacWm. Chronicles, Volumes I, II, III, you will be familiar with Dr. Uncle Mark's nephew and niece!!)

The nephew and niece were waiting patiently as Dr. Uncle Mark's truck, the full red Monty, drove down their driveway. Mother and Father snorted with disgust, but the wee lad and lassie squealed with glee and dove in their Uncle's arms as he came into the house. Dressed in breechclout and leggins, long shirt, waistcoat and moccasins, Dr. Uncle threw the little rugrats over his shoulder and hustled them into the great room where Mother had settled down to watch Oprah and Father was reading the stock page, both trying to ignore the Uncle.
"Tell us, tell us, Dr. Uncle!!" whispered Hiram and Hannah in their Uncle's ear, for they had noticed the furrowed brows of the parents and knew they must be sneaky in their request. "Tell us about our ancestors!!" Dr. Uncle picked the two children up and carried them to the beech tree outside the house, where they settled in the grass and he could relate to them stories of their folks of long ago, of Many Flags and Malcolm MacWm., and Seamus and Three Tales.
And he began......"Well, my little buckeroos"...and Hiram and Hannah listened so intently that they were almost part of the tale...."your family lived in the county of Berks in Penns Woods in the middle of the 1700s when it wasn't safe to even sit outside in the grass, as we are today. The stories can be gruesome, the native savages were determined to drive Flags' and Tales' aged parents from the Allemaengel. But these ancestors of yours were just as determined to stay. The German immigrant, Flags' and Tales' father, had a cabin built like a stockade and when the area's neighbors were set upon by the Indians, the folk would run to that place for protection. Ahh, they were strong and determined people, these early Americans. Determined to build a life in the wilderness and Flags, Tales and Seamus grew up in that way of life, running the woods, learning the ways of the Indian, hunting and exploring, naturally conditioned to the big forest and all of its beautiful, dark and sunlit spots . And so.....and so the story begins....." And the nephew and niece leaned in closer with wide eyes to hear the stories which their Uncle told of the Allemangel and the savage raids and bravery and life on the frontier of Penns Woods...... Pax Aye!!

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 07 2002 :  10:29:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Gadget Girl leans in closer with wide eyes also !!!

Edited by - Gadget Girl on September 07 2002 10:32:52 AM

Many Flags
Colonial Settler

USA

August 13 2002

Posted - September 07 2002 :  10:48:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
GG....can't read what you wrote..sorry......Many Flags

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 07 2002 :  11:35:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hmmmmmm, let me try again without font changes...

**Gadget Girl leans in closer with wide eyes also !!!!**

Howsat???

Edited by - Gadget Girl on September 07 2002 11:35:52 AM

Many Flags
Colonial Settler

USA

August 13 2002

Posted - September 07 2002 :  11:59:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's great, GG.....I've been consulting with my cousin Seamus and I believe we are ready to go with some more tales for you to lean in close....Pax Aye!! Many Flags

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

May 23 2002

Posted - September 08 2002 :  01:18:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Is there any gunplay in these tales?Where are the dead bodiesof all the French & Indians?Enquiring minds want to know.EM

Edmond N.Highlander Jr.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - September 08 2002 :  06:22:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You're a trip, Ed!

Many Flags
Colonial Settler

USA

August 13 2002

Posted - September 08 2002 :  07:26:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
McKinnon...there may be some "gun play"...guess you'll have to wait and see. However, if you purchased the three volume set that is already complete, you could answer your own question. Slante' and Pax Aye! Sjt. MacWm. (a true mercenary Scot!)

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

May 23 2002

Posted - September 12 2002 :  4:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
BTW does Butchko,er...I mean Major Grant make an appearance in these tales cousin?

Edmond N.Highlander Jr.

Many Flags
Colonial Settler

USA

August 13 2002

Posted - September 12 2002 :  6:00:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Enquiring minds want to know?!! MacKinnon.....Volume II deals with the road to Ligonier in 1758 (Bouquet, Forbes, etc.) and Grant's Defeat. Pax Aye! Many Flags

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

May 23 2002

Posted - September 13 2002 :  6:34:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
And how do I go about obtaining a copy a wee bit o'head ofthe rest of the world?<):)

Edmond N.Highlander Jr.

Many Flags
Colonial Settler

USA

August 13 2002

Posted - September 13 2002 :  6:43:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
MacKinnon...actually you are behind the rest of the world for they have been in publication for the past three years. Hmmmm, now what can one Scot charge another and when will we see each other again??? Well, for your gift of the leggins I will send you, gratis, copies of each of the three volumes....send me your address off line and they will be in the mail next week. Sjt. MacWilliam (with a nod of the head from cousin Many Flags!!). Pax Aye!

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - September 14 2002 :  6:01:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
......and I will autograph them for you, Edmund....and it won't cost you your leggings. However.....be sure to bring LOTS of Port to Ligonier.

Pax Aye!!

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit it every time~~

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - September 14 2002 :  6:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Edmund...you are going to love these Chronicles!!

Theresa

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

May 23 2002

Posted - September 14 2002 :  6:50:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thankyou,I believe that I will.EM

Edmond N.Highlander Jr.

Kate
Ariel's Cabin Caretaker, Retired

United Kingdom

June 10 2002

Posted - February 17 2004 :  8:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Seamus

......and I will autograph them for you, Edmund....and it won't cost you your leggings. However.....be sure to bring LOTS of Port to Ligonier.

Pax Aye!!

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit it every time~~

Hey!! Nobody signed MY copies o' The Chronicles, Part I, II OR III!! WHAT'S THE DEAL HERE, Seamus????!!! I thought you and I were 'buds'... *sigh*... STILL - it's good to be back on the trail wi' Seamus, Malcolm and Davey Gunn once again!!

Kate
PS - I know. I'm WAAAAAAY behind with this post! But heck, aren't I ALWAYS 'a couple o' days' behind everyone else?? heheheheee
MUST BE THE TIME DIFFERENCE!!!

Kate

"Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thainig thu." (Remember the people from whom you came.)

~ Celtic Wisdom

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - February 17 2004 :  9:09:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh........Kate, my love!!!!! How GOOD to hear yer sweet voice here! Ye've been sorely missed!! I will be quite happy and honored to sign yer copies, if I can only figure out how to accomplish that, with you bein' there in Scotland and me here in the wilds of Pennsylvania...

I've got to go find Malcolm, Many Flags, Davey, Three Tales, Uncle Angus and Quasi and give 'em the good news!!

Welcome back, Lass!!!

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 18 2004 :  6:53:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Seamus,
I think alot of us here would like to know when Volume Four of "The Chronicles" will go to paper. I have the other three printed volumes (Un-Autographed, hint-hint), and I eagerly await a chance to receive the bound edition of the fourth.

Your Most Humble Cousin,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - February 18 2004 :  7:03:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, Lad, Malcolm is the publisher. I cannot answer that question, I'm afraid.

I can sign for you next time I see you (whenever THAT may be! Our paths may not cross this year. Are you going to OBV Camp at Raystown?), or I can sign a paper 3 times and you can Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V them in! Hahahahaha!

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Kate
Ariel's Cabin Caretaker, Retired

United Kingdom

June 10 2002

Posted - February 19 2004 :  12:11:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ahhhhhh Seamus, m' dear!

You're words of 'Welcome' fair warmed m' heart!! I look foward to meeting up wi' m' braw lads once again and getting the news of all the adventures you have had while I've been away!!!

You might have known that I couldn't keep away from the 'Chronicles'!! And as for signing my copies, well... we shall see what we can do about THAT!! By the way, did I ever tell you that when I was reading the Chronicles in the plane on the way home from the Gathering, the person in the seat next to me was VERY CASUALLY reading it over my shoulder???? I hadn't really noticed - till I turned a page and heard a little 'huuuhh?!'... I could FEEL her dying to ask me to turn it back until she'd finished the page!!! Hehehee (INDEED I DID NOT!! I wanted to find out what happened next MYOWNSELF!)

Solas,
to my Braw Scots lads,

Kate

"Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thainig thu." (Remember the people from whom you came.)

~ Celtic Wisdom

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - February 19 2004 :  9:20:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Kate, ye really know how to warm a fella's heart! Aye, ye did tell me about the lady on the plane, and I got a chuckle from it, for sure! Maybe we coulda sold her a copy!

Malcolm and the rest all send their love to ye, and ol' Quasi actually washed his face when he thought about maybe seeing you! I shoulda thought of that ages ago! I think he may have changed his sock, too.....

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - February 19 2004 :  9:57:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well now, Seamus my friend, might we see you come June? If so, then Claude and I will bring our copies of The Chronicles for you to endorse as well. Reminds me, I should pull them out and read over them again....most enjoyable.

Kate, might we see you too?

Theresa

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 19 2004 :  11:00:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Seamus,
I shall be at OBV The Camp at Raystown this year, I don't know if the rest of my merry men will be, but I shall be. I will make sure that I bring the copies of the Chronicles, as well as the Westylvania Magazine for you to autograph. I will also have a good supply of Port, to sooth the writer's cramp...

Your Humble Cousin,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: The Night of Merriment, 1758 - part 1 Topic Next Topic: Shelter in the Snow, Part 2  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.34 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07