The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/18/2024 7:44:15 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICAN BOARD COURIER
 The Weekly Update ... !
 Free Giveaway of Masterpiece Theatre Version of LOTM!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Madeleine Stowe Returns ... Topic Next Topic: The Old Gray Mare Just Aint What She Used To be!!!
Page: of 3

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 14 2007 :  10:54:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

Congrats to all the winners!

...... except for you, Seamus! You're enjoying it just w-a-a-a-y too much.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 14 2007 :  12:44:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I will admit, I'm bummed, but that's okay...

Congrats to all of the winners!

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 14 2007 :  9:13:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm hurt.
But here's to Red and Irish and all the other winners!. Now if any of you for any reason are not 100% satisfied with your movie please feel free to ship them to:

LOTM
PO Box #1234
Somewhere, KY 12345

Due to availability your DVD can not be exchange or replaced.
No refunds.

To inspect DVDs for quality automatically transfers all rights and ownership to LOTM.

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Army_Brat84
Pathfinder

Duncan
USA

October 11 2005

Posted - February 18 2007 :  4:53:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Army_Brat84's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks a bunch Rich, I look forward to the DVD. Now I think there needs to be a DVD of the 1936 version with Randolph Scott.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."
--President Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)

Frontier Battles
The Herodotus Files

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 19 2007 :  02:01:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"Randolf Scott?? Randolf Scotttt!!" (Thank you Mel Brooks.)

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 19 2007 :  07:54:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have watched this version, and I actually think Randolph Scott did a pretty good job of playing Hawkeye, taking into consideration the acting style of those days. His handsome, craggy features suited the role well. Remember, too, that many of the lines we love so well in our 1992 LOTM came from the script of the 1936 version. Therefore, Scott's Hawkeye had just the right touch of mischievous humor that I thought worked very nicely. I was quite pleasantly surprised.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - February 20 2007 :  4:52:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, the much-anticipated DVD came in today's mail, thank you very much, Rich!

I pent a couple of hours watching it on my computer this afternoon, and find it quite interesting. The acting is rather cornballish at times, very theatrical, and the personas are kind of hard to swallow at times, but I am enjoying it immensely! I remember some of it from the old Masterpiece Theater showings, but mostly it is new to me...(an advantage of old age, I guess!)

There are some similarities, of course, to our LOTM, and I catch myself mentally comparing the two often. At any rate, it is a gem!!

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 20 2007 :  6:38:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Mine came today too and I look forward to watching it sometime soon. Thanks Rich.

IG

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 20 2007 :  6:46:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
And quite coincidentally, the copy I ordered came today, as well! Not sure when I will have the time to sit and watch it, but hopefully soon. I hope I won't be disappointed.

itsallhistory
Lost in the Wilderness

British Soldier 2

February 10 2004

Posted - February 20 2007 :  10:34:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I got mine in the mail today and wanted to send my thanks. I came home and saw it and it took a minute to realize that I actually won. I watched the first episode and enjoyed it immensely. It's classic BBC.

By the way, if anyone is interested, you can go to www.archive.org and type in "Last of the Mohicans" and it will bring up - with a little searching - the 1920 silent version available for download as well as a 1932, 12-part, radio drama. I got them both and they're great to have for anyone who's a fan of LOTM.

Thanks again for the movie!

Kevin

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - February 21 2007 :  01:22:19 AM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Congrats to all the winners. Enjoy your dvd's!!

"You do not know what you're saying girl!"
"Yes I do, I know exactly what I am saying, and if it is sedition, then I am guilty of sedition too!"

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - February 21 2007 :  07:38:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey, WW ... I had to buy mine, too!!!

You're welcome, all - it was fun to do & a way to give a little thanks for all the support through the years from all of you. Wish I had a thousand copies so I could have sent one to each of you!

I watched the first episode. As Seamus describes, very theatrical - like a play [reminded me of 1776 in that way] ...

One has to forget the 1992 version ... then, it becomes pretty good. Similar experience to that of reading the book!

ENJOY!

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - February 21 2007 :  10:52:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I watched mine last weekend, half on Saturday, and half on Sunday. In some ways it's better than MM's version. It suffers from lack of budget. To make an epic you need a cast of thousands, great music, and expensive actors. It could have used all of these. But it is very typical of BBC of the period. I liked Montcalm better in this one, and found the British more believable. My big problem was with the Indians. When doing their "war dances" they looked like they came straight out of West Side Story. Maybe the director had seen too many German westerns. And of course, there is only one Magua! Wes Studi spoiled it for anyone else. But other than MM's version, this is the best I have seen. That includes the 1932 and the 1936 ones. In fact, some of the scenes with Montcalm and Monro look strangely similar to MM's. Do you suppose he watched this one first?

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 21 2007 :  10:02:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

Mine came today too and I look forward to watching it sometime soon.

Rub it in Irish, rub it in!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 23 2007 :  2:49:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I ordered the BBC series and it came today so hopefully I can get started on it this weekend. Looking forward to it.

I watched the Cartoon Version of LOTM and was pleasantly surprised as I liked it a lot. Very different though from the '92 version. This was made in 1975 I believe. In this one Cora is sweet on Duncan who is still a very stiff, upperlip British Officer. It is Chingachkook who dies thus leaving Uncas the LOTM. He and Alice ride off together at the end with her little doggy Pip for a life together. No complaints about that from Col. Monroe (never would have happened in the movie) and Magua who is called Mag-ua in this one does not die but is captured by Hawkeye. I found it entertaining at least.

Well I will report back in once I have had a chance to view the BBC series which some have already discussed on here. Can't wait.

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 24 2007 :  11:47:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You are SO cruel!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 25 2007 :  10:32:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Don't worry little Light, I will tell you all about it. Now be a good little girl and go take your PILLS and lay down for a while. Everything will be alright.

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 25 2007 :  4:07:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
<<sniff, sniff>> Alright....I'll go lay down <<WWAAHHHHHH!>>

Wait a minute! My happy meds are kickin' in!
Woo-Hoo! No one can stop me now!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 25 2007 :  11:11:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well I watched the first 4 episodes of the BBC series and I am enjoying it. The first episode is a tad slow and "weird". Reminded me of a play and everyone speaks so precisely and is so polite to each other but then after the first episode I got used to it and started to enjoy it more. Takes time to warm up to this series. Characters seem a bit wooden to me but hey no comparison at all after having been spoiled by the epic '92 movie version. I agree with the comment someone made about Magua and the Hurons dancing reminding them of "West Side Story". I thought the same thing, like a musical. Too many white men as Indians too. At least it explains why Cora and Alice are so different, two half-sisters and very different. I like Cora in this one but it tends to show women as really helpless and not good for much other than needing to be protected and saved like children. At least Cora has plenty to say about that and is strong willed and won't take no for an answer. Looking forward to watching Disc 2 when I can. Oh, Uncas in this has nothing on "our Uncas". Kind of reminded me of Mel Gibson in "Braveheart" from a distance, minus the kilt of course.

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 25 2007 :  11:50:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
AACCHH!

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - February 26 2007 :  04:27:32 AM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by itsallhistory

<snip>
By the way, if anyone is interested, you can go to www.archive.org and type in "Last of the Mohicans" and it will bring up - with a little searching - the 1920 silent version available for download as well as a 1932, 12-part, radio drama. I got them both and they're great to have for anyone who's a fan of LOTM. <snip>

Thanks for that Kevin. What a great site! I got lost in there for nearly 2 days!!! Such wonderful old documents! A veritable treasure-trove. And isn't the 1920 silent version a hoot!

"You do not know what you're saying girl!"
"Yes I do, I know exactly what I am saying, and if it is sedition, then I am guilty of sedition too!"

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 26 2007 :  10:08:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Light of the Moon

AACCHH!

What do you mean by that??

IG

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 28 2007 :  10:01:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I finished it and must say enjoyed it very much despite Chingachkook's knife looking rubbery at times and some scenes obviously shot indoors which were supposed to be outdoors. Those reminded me of a play. Some, too long-winded lines in this one and Magua's acting was a bit Shakesperian and William Shatner like with his pronunciation of his lines at times and over-acting. Duncan was more likeable in this one and him and Hawkeye got along at least. Col. Monroe was good, I liked him and Montcalm I liked better than the one in the movie version. Still weird how people get shot and no blood and we don't see bloody fight scenes but it was still worth viewing. Eager to hear others thoughts on it when they finish it.

IG

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - March 01 2007 :  01:21:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Light of the Moon

<<sniff, sniff>> Alright....I'll go lay down <<WWAAHHHHHH!>>

Wait a minute! My happy meds are kickin' in!
Woo-Hoo! No one can stop me now!

Is Mr. Vicodin one of your best friends, too? If he's with you, it's best to lay off the vino!

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - March 01 2007 :  07:30:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Obediah

Is Mr. Vicodin one of your best friends, too? If he's with you, it's best to lay off the vino!

Yeah, no kidding. The hubby one time had a run-in with a ball of flame from a BBQ pit (don't ask) and took some Vicodin to calm down afterward. Then he decided that Mr. Vicodin and his friend Mr. Michelob should get together. About halfway into the beer he turned white as a ghost and collapsed. Can we say, "Good job, hon!"? He'll never live that one down.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Madeleine Stowe Returns ... Topic Next Topic: The Old Gray Mare Just Aint What She Used To be!!!  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.48 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07