The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/2/2024 8:27:11 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The French & Indian War
 Hairstyles
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: F&I Battles Topic Next Topic: F&I Pictures  

Zemenar
Lost in the Wilderness

Huron 3
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
March 23 2007

Posted - March 23 2007 :  1:24:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for a good webite or book that will show the hairstyles the Native Americans wore during the French and Indian War.
Thanks
report to moderator

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - March 23 2007 :  1:40:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, each tribe was done differently. For women it was typically the same. Two braids for single women, one braid for a married woman.
As for men it varied but very rarely was it worn straight down. It was usually tied back in some way. Take Uncas for example. Even though his hair is worn down the front portion is pulled back into a weave. This was done for obvious reasons (keeping hair out of the face) so that they could work, hunt, or fight without being blinded.
In ceremonies it was usually worn down or in braids and heavily decorated.
In war the hair styles changed radically into something a bit more "scary" looking.
The Huron are a good example and Magua's hair is very accurate as is the other warriors. The Hurons would shave their heads and mostly wear mohawks, decorated with red feathers or other honors they earned in past battles, war, ect...
The red feathers, if earned in war, were painted differently depending on the situation and the tribe. In some tribes an all red meant that they were ferious and killed many. Red tip meant they injured their opponent enough to stop them but didn't kill them.

As far as a website...you can check out www.nativeamericans.com and look into the tribes you're interested in researching. They will tell you all about their history and will have links that lead you to the tribes home page where you can get all kinds of information.

Good luck!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

lonewolf
Colonial Settler

Lonewolf

February 12 2004

Posted - July 02 2007 :  8:44:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Greetings Zemenar,

Many of my Shawnee ancestors plucked the hair from their heads and face (yes, we also grew facial hair, still do) using small clamshells from the creeks as tweezers. OUCH! OUCH! OUCH!
A lot of Shawnees left only about a three or four inch diameter scalplock at the back of the head, the hair hanging down the back, and braided or tied into a ponytail type arrangement with a leather thong. Wild turkey feathers were normally tied to the scalplock, and the feathers hung down from this tied hair. Other feathers such as bluejay or cardinal feathers were also worn along with the turkey feathers. My Oneida 4x great grandfather, Chief White Peter, wore his hair in this fashion, as well.

I see re-enactors who are portraying Shawnees wearing a lot of "do-rags" on their heads. Most Shawnees probably never wore these things. The people who would normally have been wearing the "do-rags" were the mixed French-Shawnee Metis. Tecumseh is pictured wearing a turban-like device on his head. He wore his hair as the whites of the time were wearing it. He had a full head of hair. It was cropped short, and never hung down the back of his neck. Some warriors only plucked the hair from the right or left side of their heads. Don't know why?

Like today, hairstyle seemed to be a matter of personal preference. No one style was worn by all in one tribe or in one Indian nation.

So, wear what you feel is right for yourself! There is no "wrong" way to wear it!

Ken Lonewolf
report to moderator Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: F&I Battles Topic Next Topic: F&I Pictures  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.2 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07