The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/20/2024 12:36:34 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Mohicanland's Recommended Reading
 What's the BEST book you've ever read?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Follow The River Topic Next Topic: Indian Captives?  

susank2
Colonial Settler

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
August 25 2007

Posted - October 20 2007 :  5:38:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think for me without a doubt the #1 best book I've ever read has to be Lonesome Dove. I first read it over 20 years ago and still re-read it every few years. The book has everything...adventure, romance, sadness, humor...and Larry McMurtry isn't afraid to shockingly kill off main characters.

My runner's up would be:
Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean Auel
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

I think the last book that I've read that I couldn't put down was A Thousand Splended Suns by Khaled Hosseini.

So what about you guys???
report to moderator

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 20 2007 :  5:52:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"Into The Wilderness" by Sara Donati

When I read this the first time, I thought: "Wow. If I had the ability to write a novel, this would be the one I would want to write."

Just about time for another re-read!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 20 2007 :  7:48:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Okay, me next. Have to "fess up", never been a big reader in my "adult life" until my mother in law forced the first Harry Potter book upon me, at which I cringed saying "I'll never read it" but, obviously I just started reading and couldn't put it down. Thereafter, every Summer, I would pre-order the newest HP book and eagerly await it. I have read them all and they are the best books ever. Brought this "non-reader" back to reading. That woman JK Rowling is a genius IMHO For me, there could be no other books ever as good

IG

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 20 2007 :  11:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My favorite: "On Stranger Tides" by Tim Powers. Pirates and voodoo, woohoo!

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 21 2007 :  08:42:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine" ... no, just kidding, though that title does stick in my head from my grade school years.

Does "The Bible" count????

Very difficult to answer, but off the top of my head - and spoken as a Little Bighorn buff - "Son of the Morning Star," by Evan S. Connell.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 21 2007 :  11:22:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by richfed

"Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine" ... no, just kidding, though that title does stick in my head from my grade school years.

Ohmigawd!! You have just brought back a childhood memory that I had temporarily forgotten!! Rich! I read that one, too. My younger brother belonged to a children's book club, to encourage him to practice his slow reading skills, and I ended up reading every book that came. That one was one of them! Another one was "Follow My Leader" about a blind boy and his guide dog. (Interesting that I love that one and now work with blind people.)

Sorry! And now back to your regularly-scheduled topic......

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 21 2007 :  1:32:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I always enjoyed "Watership Down" by Richard Adams.
and The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis.

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - October 21 2007 :  2:43:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"Uncivil Seasons" by Michael Malone. It's a mystery novel set in the fictional town of Hillston, NC, and it features two wise, engaging, very human police officers, Lt. Justin Savile, a wayward member of the Southern aristocracy, and Deputy Cuddy Mangum, a wisecracking good ol' boy with hidden depths. It has everything you could want in a mystery novel: a terrific sense of place, a plot that makes perfect sense in the end but isn't obvious until then, beautifully drawn secondary characters, tons of humor, and a sympathetic understanding of human nature. AND a sequel -- "Time's Witness," a longer novel in which Justin and Cuddy have changed places.

Bookworm

"I've gotten so fascinated with the eighteenth century, I'm going to stay there." -- David McCullough

"Nothing to it, brother." -- Barack Obama

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 21 2007 :  3:10:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Black Beauty was a book I read over and over as a girl, and likely one of the few I read at all. It was one I got through the Weekly Reader Book Club! So I wasn't much of a reader until I became an adult.

Some of the "couldn't put down" books I recall -

The Notebook - by sappy Nick Sparks
Beach Music - Pat Conroy
Crucible of War - Fred Anderson (so full of info)
Outlander - Diana Gabaldon

and most recently - LOVED THIS BOOK - Marley and Me - John Grogan. If you love dogs - this is a must read and about to be made into a movie. Hope Owen Wilson can get his head healthy as he is slated to play Grogan in it!

susank2
Colonial Settler

USA

August 25 2007

Posted - October 21 2007 :  9:06:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

When I read this the first time, I thought: "Wow. If I had the ability to write a novel, this would be the one I would want to write."

WW, I just got his book based on your recommendation. I'm gonna start it tomorrow. Can't wait!

halfbreed
Pioneer

June 18 2006

Posted - October 21 2007 :  10:41:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
marley and me is the best book ive read in a long time, ive got 2 dogs, or should i say 2 dogs have me.....
h-b

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 22 2007 :  11:20:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by halfbreed

marley and me is the best book ive read in a long time, ive got 2 dogs, or should i say 2 dogs have me.....
h-b

I actually had to save the last chapter for a time when I could be alone. Such candid emotion that I could SO relate to having just lost my dog of almost 15 years! Had to take a few breaks so I could wipe my eyes to see the pages.

Grogan is a wonderful story teller. I visited his website and he has provided space for and invited folks to share their dog pictures and stories. There are 1000's and 1000's of entries from all over the world!

GG

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 22 2007 :  12:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by susank2

quote:

WW, I just got his book based on your recommendation. I'm gonna start it tomorrow. Can't wait!

Well, I do hope you like it. It is difficult to recommend books because people's tastes in reading material are so different. But, believe me, this is not a Harlequin romance. If you like a well-written, historical romance that is full of exciting events and interesting characters, that will have you on the edge of your seat... this is the novel for you. Oh and, it is a sequel to the movie version of Last of the Mohicans. You will meet an older Hawkeye and an even older Ching!

Enjoy! And do let me know how you like it.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 22 2007 :  12:36:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
GG, your post about "Marley and Me" prompted me to remember the books of Farley Mowat. I have read several of his, and they are wonderful! One of the funniest was called "The Dog Who Wouldn't Be." It is about the author's boyhood and his family, which included a number of interesting critters. This book focuses on a wonderful, zany dog who refused to be.... a dog! Good stuff!

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - October 22 2007 :  1:30:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks, there are lots of good reading ideas here. I don't know what book is the best I've read. I think it changes with my circumstances. I really liked A Grief Observed by C.S. Lewis when I was grieving. I also like A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawkings. It is so mind-expanding and is such a challenge to understand.

Sorry, neither is very light reading material.

susank2
Colonial Settler

USA

August 25 2007

Posted - October 22 2007 :  2:05:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by susank2

quote:

Well, I do hope you like it. It is difficult to recommend books because people's tastes in reading material are so different. But, believe me, this is not a Harlequin romance. If you like a well-written, historical romance that is full of exciting events and interesting characters, that will have you on the edge of your seat... this is the novel for you. Oh and, it is a sequel to the movie version of Last of the Mohicans. You will meet an older Hawkeye and an even older Ching!

Enjoy! And do let me know how you like it.

I started it this morning and was reading the 1st chapter and thought...hmmm this seems familiar... and got to the part about building the schoolhouse and said to myself "he's gonna build the schoolhouse for her" and when he said he would I knew I had read this before. Then going to the grocery store today I was thinking that I actually think I own this book and guess what?? I just found it on my bookshelf!! I don't think that I've read the whole thing before and now that I've seen LTOM it'll have a whole new meaning to me. I'm so glad you mentioned this book.

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - October 22 2007 :  3:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My favorite book of all time is Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. After that, Cooper's Last of the Mohicans is pretty close (I know, ), along with (another Austen work!) Northanger Abbey. I also enjoy Toni Morrison's Beloved and John Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath, which ends with one of the most haunting scenes I've ever read. Very powerful!

halfbreed
Pioneer

June 18 2006

Posted - October 23 2007 :  11:41:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
funny thing is, i got turned on to marley and me, by none other then howard stern, was listening to the show like i do every day, when howard told a story of how he was on a plane to visit one of his kids in collage and was reading the book, when at the end he started to get emotional, the attendent came over and asked if he was o.k. went and got the book a few days later, and by the end of the weekend was done with it, and drained from reading it.
matt

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 24 2007 :  10:49:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Talking about emotionally draining books, I really enjoyed the series by the late English veterinarian James Herriot. His books are wonderful. One chapter you laugh uproariously and the next, you cry. They are incredible.

www.jamesherriot.org

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - October 25 2007 :  02:19:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I would say the best book I ever read was the Bible.

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - October 25 2007 :  08:17:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

. . . If you like a well-written, historical romance that is full of exciting events and interesting characters, that will have you on the edge of your seat... this is the novel for you. Oh and, it is a sequel to the movie version of Last of the Mohicans. You will meet an older Hawkeye and an even older Ching!

Oh, it's that book! I added it to my "to be read" list a while back (with only about a zillion other novels!), but I lost my list when I moved earlier this year. I didn't recognize the title, but now that I know it's the sequel to LOTM, I think I'll check it out.

Thanks for the reminder.

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 25 2007 :  11:46:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
I've read it at least a dozen times and get something different every time.
  Previous Topic: Follow The River Topic Next Topic: Indian Captives?  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.44 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07