The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/8/2024 11:06:04 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Mohicanland's Recommended Reading
 Follow The River
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Native American Women Topic Next Topic: Whats the BEST book youve ever read?  

Kirachi
Colonial Settler

Alone
United Kingdom

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 04 2007

Posted - November 07 2007 :  09:18:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was given this book recently by my friend in America (you can't buy the book easily here in England)
I had known of it due to movie of the same name starring Eric

So because of that I thought the book would be quite twee and soft...I wasn't actually expecting to like it much at all, although I enjoy the movie it's only an hour and a half long while a book can last for days/weeks etc, so I thought I would get bored of it very easily.

I'm only on chapter 3 and already enjoying it, very surprised at how violent and un twee it is lol
Has anyone else read it? If so did it stay like this all the way through?
report to moderator

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - November 07 2007 :  11:55:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
There is a thread titled "Favorite Eric Schweig Movie" or something like that, just do a search and all his movies including "Follow the River" are discussed (Page 3) but here is the link to the true story of Mary Ingles http://www.floydcountyinview.com/marydraperingles.html

I loved the movie but never read the actual book.

IG
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 07 2007 :  12:17:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That book is excellent! So are all of Thom's books, including The Red Heart, which I mentioned in another thread. The movie pales in comparison.

She was an amazing woman.

Btw... what is "twee"?

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - November 07 2007 :  12:25:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing Kirachi, what does that mean?

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - November 07 2007 :  3:30:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If my friends from England told me correctly twee is another way of saying overly sappy to the point of being corny or even humdrum. They've been in the states since they were children and have only visited England. But I've heard them use the word before and had to ask.

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - November 07 2007 :  6:49:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks Light. I'm from Ireland and even I had never heard of that one.

IG

Kyfrontiersman
Colonial Militia

Boonesborough photo

November 18 2004

Posted - November 07 2007 :  7:14:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyfrontiersman's Homepage  Send Kyfrontiersman an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Kirachi wrote, "very surprised at how violent and un twee it is lol"
Think that's violent? Mary Ingels never had her children killed in front of her like Jenny Wiley did. Thom has fictionalized a true story, but he did it well. Wiley endured the slaying of her brother, her children, and she escaped after 11 months of captivity. She gave birth on the trail and had to watch her baby's brains dashed against a tree, and this was after her other children had been killed in front of her. And if you really like 'gory' check out what the Shawnee did to Greathouse and 15 other people. Of course this was in retaliation for the terrible torture Greathouse inflicted on Chief Logan's family. Times got hard on all in the Middle Ground for awhile, from about 1776 - 1782. Didn't mean to mention gory details, but it was a very hard life on our ancestors. Mary Ingels had it easy compared to many others.
Mike

http://rumpingproductions.org/
"Kentucke, situated on the fertile banks of the great Ohio, rising
from obscurity to shine with splendor, equal to any other of the
stars of the American hemisphere." ...... John Filson

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - November 07 2007 :  9:59:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OMG that poor woman Jenny Wiley. How anyone could stay "sane" after witnessing the murder of their children like she did is beyond me. Is there a book about this poor woman and all she went through? Not sure I could stomach it though. Very gory indeed. I guess Mary did have it much easier.

IG

Kyfrontiersman
Colonial Militia

Boonesborough photo

November 18 2004

Posted - November 08 2007 :  10:04:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyfrontiersman's Homepage  Send Kyfrontiersman an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've not read these, but here's what I found on abebooks.com:
1. Dark Hills to Westward: The Saga of Jenny Wiley
Caudill, Harry M. (Author)
2. The legend of Jenny Wiley
Arville Wheeler
3. Jenny Wiley Country a History of the Big Sandy Valley in Kentucky's Eastern Highlands and Genealogy of the Regions People
Hall, C. Mitchel
hope this helps

Kirachi
Colonial Settler

Alone
United Kingdom

October 04 2007

Posted - November 08 2007 :  12:09:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Twee means, hmm it's hard to put into words....
I guess it means very quaint or overly nice...like a church fair would be twee lol

Kyfrontiersman I meant the book was violent compared to the movie, not compared to others experinces and i was surprised because i was expecting the book to be very much like the movie...very overly nice (aka twee) haha
And wasn't Mary's sister in law's baby killed right in front of her?

I've heard of Jenny Wiley's story before awful stuff but from what I've read, something that was done a lot, especially babies if they were taking people captive, crying babies are too noisy after all.
Awful things to think about in this day and age...

susank2
Colonial Settler

USA

August 25 2007

Posted - November 08 2007 :  1:44:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I read the book many years ago and loved it. It's so much better than the movie. Also, WW mentioned The Red Heart which I also read after reading Follow the River and liked it a lot as well.

Because it was so long ago when I read it, I don't remember much about the violence, but I do remember that a good portion of the book was about her getting back to her husband (hope I didn't spoil anything for you) and the ending is different than the movie. Well a lot of stuff is different than the movie.

Hope you keep enjoying it!

Kyfrontiersman
Colonial Militia

Boonesborough photo

November 18 2004

Posted - November 09 2007 :  11:29:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyfrontiersman's Homepage  Send Kyfrontiersman an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Kirachi,
Forgive me M'Lady, I meant no disrespect in any manner. I do hope Ye
can forgive the backwoods ways of this old frontiersman, who should
strive harder to get back to civilization more, in order to try an
become a gentleman, perhaps fur the 1st time in my life. But alas
perhaps I have become more like the Injuns than I'd like to imagine.
Yes, the Injuns done many terrible things, but so did the whites to
them. Some say that the French got the Injuns to scalpin', but I do
not think that so.
Mike (AKA Simon Kenton)

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - November 10 2007 :  11:18:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks Mike for posting the books about Jenny Wiley. I think that might be an interesting read. I also might pick up "Follow the River" too, I just seen the movie for the first time last week. Sparked my interest so to speak. Now if I could just find the time.....

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

"Live well, love much, laugh often!"

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - November 10 2007 :  5:08:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kirachi

I guess it means very quaint or overly nice...like a church fair would be twee...

This is my new favorite word. Twee! It's just so fun to say.

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - November 14 2007 :  6:18:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Twee -- sort of a combination of 2 and 3. -or- the sound of a ricochet "tweeeeee."

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - November 15 2007 :  9:23:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That or Elmer Fudd talking about what else but a "twee"

IG

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - November 15 2007 :  10:05:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
On Halloween it would be "twick or tweet!"

Kyfrontiersman
Colonial Militia

Boonesborough photo

November 18 2004

Posted - December 06 2007 :  5:53:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyfrontiersman's Homepage  Send Kyfrontiersman an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
By the way, the original context of this thread was concerning Indian Captives, Mary Ingles and Jenny Wiley, so I thought this would be appreciated by many of you. Not sure if these ladies are listed here, but there is some excellant reading and research here for Indian Captives from the 17th through the 19th centuries. Hope you all enjoy this.
http://www.digitalbookindex.com/_search/search010histusindiancapitivitiesa.asp
Mike

Kyfrontiersman
Colonial Militia

Boonesborough photo

November 18 2004

Posted - December 06 2007 :  7:01:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyfrontiersman's Homepage  Send Kyfrontiersman an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Also if you don't mind, please advise me if you all like
research areas like this, or not. Thanks
Mike

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - December 07 2007 :  01:39:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kirachi

I guess it means very quaint or overly nice...like a church fair would be twee lol

Okay. So my english friends told me wrong. That or maybe they misunderstood the word or how to explain it. Oh well!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!
  Previous Topic: Native American Women Topic Next Topic: Whats the BEST book youve ever read?  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.39 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07