The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/3/2024 8:18:40 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Burial Ground
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: The Enduring Eric Schweig Topic Next Topic: Hawkeyes Rifle
Page: of 2

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 13 2006

Posted - October 27 2007 :  3:06:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzhugh Williams

When the gang is at the burial ground, and the Indians and the farby Frenchman come up, they are whispering. Then the Frenchman says something and the Indian says "Non!". Then the Frenchman says "Pourquoi non?" And the Indian says in a louder voice "Non!". I have been trying to figure out what it is that the Frenchman says first. In is not in the script, and not in the subtitles.

I just watched the movie again, and after playing this scene back a few times, I believe I heard the Frenchman say, "Ainsi lá va" ("So get over there").

That would make the dialogue go (with FF for Farby Frenchman ):
FF: Ainsi lá va.
Huron: Non!
FF: Pourquoi non?
Huron: C'est non possible.

But I can't make out anything after that. Could this be right? My French isn't so good. I can't speak a word of it but I can understand un peu.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - October 27 2007 :  4:21:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think there was some Polish in there too. ... ;)

you can keep "The Change"

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - October 28 2007 :  12:46:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by RedFraggle

quote:
Originally posted by Fitzhugh Williams

When the gang is at the burial ground, and the Indians and the farby Frenchman come up, they are whispering. Then the Frenchman says something and the Indian says "Non!". Then the Frenchman says "Pourquoi non?" And the Indian says in a louder voice "Non!". I have been trying to figure out what it is that the Frenchman says first. In is not in the script, and not in the subtitles.

I just watched the movie again, and after playing this scene back a few times, I believe I heard the Frenchman say, "Ainsi lá va" ("So get over there").

That would make the dialogue go (with FF for Farby Frenchman ):
FF: Ainsi lá va.
Huron: Non!
FF: Pourquoi non?
Huron: C'est non possible.

But I can't make out anything after that. Could this be right? My French isn't so good. I can't speak a word of it but I can understand un peu.

Don't 'cha wish we could get captions on that little bit?

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - February 27 2021 :  10:56:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So, to continue this thread from October 2007, I consulted with a friend and our conclusion is that the Frenchman (who, by the way, would be from the Compagnies franches de la Marine) says upon seeing the Hurons hesitate to go into the area which turns out to be a burial ground:

« Ainsi là bas ? »

And as to the Frenchman, the script says:
"French Rangers ("Coureurs des Bois") from Le Regiment de la Sarre."
So,(1) the French didn't have Rangers, (2) Coureurs des Bois were illegal traders who had mostly disappeared by the SYW, (3) the Regiment de la Sarre was a unit from France itself and all its soldiers would have been native to France, and (4) any sort of operations like this would have been carried out by the Compagnies franches de la Marine. And the dress and standards of hygiene would have been different.

And it only took me 14 years to sort this out.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Monadnock Hiker
Colonial Militia

August 31 2017

Posted - March 01 2021 :  7:39:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Time wise this has to set a record here ... well done.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - March 02 2021 :  07:24:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Shows you how busy I have been lately.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: The Enduring Eric Schweig Topic Next Topic: Hawkeyes Rifle  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.33 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07