The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
3/28/2024 10:21:08 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 BUMPPIN' 'ROUND BUMPPO'S
 The Tales MacWilliam ...
 Campbells' Soup!!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: The Mystery of the Blue-Hued Script Topic Next Topic: Huzzah to Duncan MacLaren and Other Comrades!!
Page: of 2

Sjt. Malcolm MacWilliam
Pioneer

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 11 2002

Posted - November 15 2002 :  3:08:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Several days after that particular evening in 1747 when Malcolm and Davey had met in the wee stone hut in the northern wilds of Scotland, Malcolm found his way back to the British Highland Regiment with whom he had been recruited. It is to be remembered that he was with this regiment because of his grandfather William MacWilliam, who served the King’s own son: William, Duke of Cumberland. Grandfather MacWilliam had reasoned with his grandson and found him a place in this regiment with some of the other former Jacobite soldiers. For, if they took the oath and joined up, their lives were spared, and they could wear the kilt and march to the pipes. So, pragmatic as he was, Malcolm had decided for the red coat.
Malcolm had asked for leave, as he had put it, “ta see me aged Uncle Angus”. He had indeed seen his Uncle when he had met with his brother Davey Gunn in the wee hut, Davey also being outlawed but being searched for as “Davey MacWilliam”. So, Malcolm did not have to sneak back into the barracks of his Regiment, which was located in one of the old castles where his Regiment could patrol easily the surrounding countryside, searching for any leftover Jacobites and rebellious persons. As Malcolm came through the gate, he recognized the private on guard duty. “Evening, Ocious Campbell,” stated Malcolm. “I am returning from leave.”
“Ahh, ‘tis you, Pvt. MacWilliam. The sarjent, me brother Lucious Campbell, wishes to speak with you. Report to him in his quarters at once. And make it fast, ye bloody Jacobite misfit....ye damn.......” Malcolm interrupted this private with a growl.
“Careful what ye say, Campbell, or ye will find yer head bobbin’ in the loch and who knows if it will be attached to anything!”
The young Campbell’s mouth dropped open and before he could retort, Malcolm had turned on his heels and headed for the Sarjent’s quarters. The guard at the door , Cpl. Campbell, greeted Malcolm with a leer. “Jacobite dog! My brother Sjt. Campbell is looking for you.”
Gawd, thought Malcolm. These Campbells be everywhere! He greeted the corporal respectfully, but with an edge to his voice. “Aye, Cpl. Campbell. I am going in to see the.....ahem....good Sarjent now. Thankee for your concern.”
He knocked at the door and a voice bade him to enter. He stood looking down at the next Campbell he was to deal with.
“Pvt. MacWilliam. You have returned from your leave! Let us see here....(as he rifled through some papers)... Ahhh, yes, to see your aged Uncle Angus. Did you see this Uncle? And tell me something else. Did you happen to see that outlaw, your brother Davey MacWilliam? And remember, Lad, if I catch you in a lie, I’ll have yer tongue cut out!”
Now Malcolm would have had no problem lying to this Campbell. But, he knew he could play the game, for he HAD seen his Uncle Angus and he did NOT see Davey MacWilliam, but instead he had seen Davey GUNN!
“Aye, Sargent! I saw me Uncle and he could hardly speak a word. The poor man was in this terribly wee stone hut with the rain pouring in the roof and he mostly just grunted a few words in that heathen Gaelic. And as for my brother....I did NOT see Davey MacWilliam and certainly hope I never see a man by that name ever again!”
Sjt. Campbell looked the grinning Malcolm up and down. At that point another man entered the quarters. “Lucious”, he stated. “Is this the private who you told me about?”
“Aye, Uncle Fatuous”! Sjt. Campbell spoke to Malcolm. “Private, this is Captain Campbell. You know him, correct?”
“Aye, Sarjent. Good evening, Captain.”
Capt. Campbell glared at Malcolm. “So, you have been to the north to see your aged Uncle? The good Sarjent and I do not believe you. Maybe we can wrangle the truth from you. Boil you in water and make soup out of you. That’s what we should do!” At that moment another man entered the room. Malcolm rolled his eyes. It was Lieut. Campbell!
Captain Campbell spoke. “Ahh, cousin Sapious
report to moderator

Drummer Edward Armstrong
Pathfinder

USA

October 08 2002

Posted - November 17 2002 :  09:24:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
As Malcolm headed for his tent he spies a figure standing in the center of the Military Street, this figure standing there, unapprovingly, with arms folded across his chest. Malcolm asks himself aloud "Armstrong"?....Aye! Tis me! Armstrong replies sternly! "Canna I leave your side but a month without your seeking out trouble?!" Malcolm smiles and responds " Ahh Drummer, how I've missed thee! But Armstrong retorts " So you say!" Takeing up with the General Officers now are we?"...."WHAT? Me? Ohhhh that....It isn't as it seems!" Malcolm replies with a chuckle! "Come Armstrong, let us find a warm fire as I have so much to tell as well ask you!" "Aye, my friend, and I too have much to tell you! "But first, do you think I'd come back from the colonies empty handed?" As Armstrong produces from his pack a small wooden box. Malcolm leans forward to take a better look at this gift, the box lid opens and from it the most pleasent aroma that Malcolm has ever beheld! "Pray tell me Armstrong, what be this heavenly scent?" "Tis tobacco cigars strait from the Virginias!" "Come Malcolm, let us find that fire you'd mentioned and catch up!"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Sjt. Malcolm MacWilliam
Pioneer

September 11 2002

Posted - November 17 2002 :  12:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Aye, Drummer Armstrong! And the saga continues as we sit by the fire, relaxed, with a bit of tobacco and ale. As it has been in the past and present....so it shall continue into the future! Pax Aye, my friend!!

Davey Gunn
Pathfinder

Castle
USA

September 10 2002

Posted - November 17 2002 :  8:05:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah....what the Sjt. said.....and, oh yes....i'm still alive.

Davey

Sjt. Malcolm MacWilliam
Pioneer

September 11 2002

Posted - November 17 2002 :  8:54:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Davey....me brother!! 'Tis good to hear from you. Many Flags and I are sitting here and were just talking about you and his brother Three Tales. We are looking forward to seeing you at Bedford in December. Sorry you can't make the Saint Andrew's banquet. I will lift my cup in a toast to you!! Slante', brother! Pax Aye!! Malcolm (Did you hear the one about Angus and.....well, there are white wooly animals involved, so I'll tell ye later!!)

Davey Gunn
Pathfinder

Castle
USA

September 10 2002

Posted - November 18 2002 :  09:32:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You don't have to wait 'til the St. Andrews dinner to lift the cup....i have one in my hand right now.....a coffee cup, that is. (are there any other animals besides the white wooly ones in the story? i like stories about furry little animals!!)

Drummer Edward Armstrong
Pathfinder

USA

October 08 2002

Posted - November 19 2002 :  07:57:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Davey?! I never took you for one of those......BUNNY HUGGER TYPES!!!

Davey Gunn
Pathfinder

Castle
USA

September 10 2002

Posted - November 19 2002 :  09:37:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Three Tales told me once.."as long as you can hold it in one hand...it's not too big" But then, maybe he was talking about something else! Sure....i like bunnies....boiled bunny....roasted bunny.....fried bunny....and even fricasseed bunny. Love 'em ta death!! One more thing....don't give a three year old a bunny to wash....the bunny won't like it.

words of wisdom from:
davey

Drummer Edward Armstrong
Pathfinder

USA

October 08 2002

Posted - November 20 2002 :  6:42:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Words to live by! But Davey, does the washed/cooked bunny thing exclude "Floating Fires" like at Loch Norman?

Davey Gunn
Pathfinder

Castle
USA

September 10 2002

Posted - November 21 2002 :  9:43:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
As they say....."if i would've had one i would've washed and cooked 'im." Soggy bacon, floating eggs, and washed and cooked bunny!! Mmmm..Mmmmm..gooodd. Almost sounds better than biscuits and gravy....but not!!

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - November 21 2002 :  11:34:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Davey,

My mother-in-law could fry up a mean bunny....grew 'em herself. Tastes like chicken!

Theresa

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - November 22 2002 :  06:13:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
... or, squirrel! [Ah, the fond memory of squirrel stew served up by one Davey Gunn at the Gathering 2001 Pot Luck Dinner! Yummie!]

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - November 22 2002 :  07:25:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by richfed

... or, squirrel! [Ah, the fond memory of squirrel stew served up by one Davey Gunn at the Gathering 2001 Pot Luck Dinner! Yummie!]

Yes, I've had that, too. I remember as a little girl being at my grandmother's all day while my daddy, Pappy, and all my uncles were hunting and would come in at the end of the day with their game. I've eaten wild rabbit, squirrel, deer, turkey, quail, and dove. Now the rabbits that Mrs. Williams prepared were domestic and they were delicious. 'Course it was kinda hard to explain to our children that that was Little Bunny FooFoo on their plates.

Theresa

Drummer Edward Armstrong
Pathfinder

USA

October 08 2002

Posted - November 24 2002 :  2:46:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Bunny Foo Foo?! That's nothing, try explaining Haggis!!!
The look on their little faces.........Priceless!

Many Flags
Colonial Settler

USA

August 13 2002

Posted - November 24 2002 :  3:53:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This topic, "Campbells' Soup", has sure spurred a lot of discussion on food!! Martha Stewart (Scottish??) would sure be proud!! Pax aye! Many Flags

Drummer Edward Armstrong
Pathfinder

USA

October 08 2002

Posted - November 24 2002 :  10:23:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Come on Flags! Have you ever seen how many different types of soup Campbells have?! And yet, they still sport the same package!!
Whoa! How profound was that??

Davey Gunn
Pathfinder

Castle
USA

September 10 2002

Posted - November 24 2002 :  10:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I wonder what imaginative recipes "Dear Martha" has for little bunny Foo Foo!! I know there's even an entry in her cook book for "Gathering Squirrel Pot Pie". That's what we used when we prepared it at Chimney Rock. Black iron dutch oven version. I must admit though...."the pieces of wood" Gadget Girl mentioned that Three Tales was removing from the fire in Berks County was tastier than Squirrel pot pie......and Martha had nothing to do with that.
Good times....good food....and most of all...good friends!

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - November 24 2002 :  11:18:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Davy, I don't recall eating any of your squirrel pot pie at Chimney Rock but I did sample something else of the meaty persuasion. Do you remember what that might have been? It was the last night of the camp. M-M-Good!

Theresa

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 25 2002 :  08:51:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh Davey, I'll be keepin' on eye out for those "pieces of wood" in the future...to be sure!!! After we realized they were actually GREAT BIG chunks of meat - talk about mouths watering!!!

GG

Three Tales
Pathfinder

Hawkeye
USA

September 09 2002

Posted - November 25 2002 :  10:11:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Seein's that i'm the one what "cooked the wood" at Berks County...it's my place to 'fes up to what it was. Twas none other than Sadlers Smokehouse pit cooked Bar-B-Qued Beef Brisket!!! Suspended over a hardwood open fire, on a black iron spit, and tended by none other than yours truly!!! My arms are gettin' tired from pattin' myself on the back on this one. But...i must say.... discoverin' the right stuff to suspend over the fire isn't as easy as one might suspect. It's done purely by accident.
And...Theresa.... i'm not sure what you may have had around the fire saturday night at the 2001 Gathering....could have been damn near anything. Does Many Flags or Malcolm have any idea????

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - November 25 2002 :  10:30:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Three Tales, I believe it was some kind of roast. So, it was probably the the brisket of which you speak.

Theresa

Three Tales
Pathfinder

Hawkeye
USA

September 09 2002

Posted - November 26 2002 :  09:26:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
nope....hadn't discovered the brisket at that time...so it wasn't that. I do remember a possum we hit on the road coming back from Hendersonville after seeing the movie.....i'm not sure where that went. I remember Flags stopping, and throwing it in the back of the truck. He mentioned something about "it will come in handy later". Encampments are strange that way....after dark, it's hard to tell what's on the fire!! I hope you enjoyed it. Did it seem well done? The critter we hit was pretty young....so it should have been tender. I do remember discussing the fact that we had no turnips to go with him.

Davey Gunn
Pathfinder

Castle
USA

September 10 2002

Posted - November 26 2002 :  09:36:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I wish i could help here....but i was confined to my tent most of the time in Chimney Rock. I had a relapse of the heat exhaustion i first contracted while fighting the natives of the islands off the Carolina coast. I missed most of the Gathering.....but have some wonderful memories from Three Tales' stories of the event. I can't help on the "mystery meat" question.....first time i've heard of it.

Sjt. Malcolm MacWilliam
Pioneer

September 11 2002

Posted - November 26 2002 :  1:53:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I remember Flags throwing something in the back of the truck, laughing and saying something about "It's Magua's hairy arm, let's roast it!!Hee, hee!", but it WAS dark and I don't remember what it really was. Actually, now since I think back, I think it tasted like chicken. Of course, doesn't everything (except for Campbell's Soup!!) Pax Aye! Sjt. Malcolm

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - November 26 2002 :  2:23:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, now, friends and relations..........I believe I can clear this up and identify the flesh we all gnawed on at the Gathering, since I am the one who prepared it....not Tales, Flags, Davey, or Malcolm nor the Colonel. It was I!!! I stayed in camp that day to watch over things while the boys went on the big hike, and good thing I did, too, as the news folks down there said there was to be a "reenactment" there at the motel, and I entertained over 100 visitors that day!

Anyway....the meat in question was a succulent roast of beef,top round, if I recall, rubbed with a personal secret rub (garlic, coarse ground pepper, certain herbs, and not a little 'amber liquid') I use, then spitted or hung and roasted slowly.........v-e-r-y slowly.

(I have to stop this! I am drooling all over my shirt again. Ye gads! Ye'd think I was Quasi, wouldn't ye??)

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - November 26 2002 :  5:19:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Seamus

Well, now, friends and relations..........I believe I can clear this up and identify the flesh we all gnawed on at the Gathering, since I am the one who prepared it....not Tales, Flags, Davey, or Malcolm nor the Colonel. It was I!!! I stayed in camp that day to watch over things while the boys went on the big hike, and good thing I did, too, as the news folks down there said there was to be a "reenactment" there at the motel, and I entertained over 100 visitors that day!

Anyway....the meat in question was a succulent roast of beef,top round, if I recall, rubbed with a personal secret rub (garlic, coarse ground pepper, certain herbs, and not a little 'amber liquid') I use, then spitted or hung and roasted slowly.........v-e-r-y slowly.

(I have to stop this! I am drooling all over my shirt again. Ye gads! Ye'd think I was Quasi, wouldn't ye??)

Ah, Seamus, your recollection brings back some fond memories...a warm fire, good friends, tasty whatever, and a great coat. I also remember you telling us about the locals coming by expecting a reenactment . And about that possum...we got plenty of those here in my neck of the woods and it weren't no possum of which we partook.

Theresa
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: The Mystery of the Blue-Hued Script Topic Next Topic: Huzzah to Duncan MacLaren and Other Comrades!!  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.44 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07