The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/17/2024 5:17:14 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 The Many Faces of Clan Munro
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Kyfrontiersman?? Topic Next Topic: Comments from the public.  

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 30 2008 :  4:29:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I figured that I would make an overdue visit to 'The Muster', since I have been absent for some time. I have been quite busy in the hobby with forming my new unit, B-Company of the 1st BN Black Watch (1914-1918). I started this latest project in late 2005, and we went to field at Newville for the first time in 2007. This will be the second unit I had started, and believe it or not, it has been more work than was forming my 18th Century Black Watch unit. Thankfully, just like when I put together Graham's Company, I've had some Grade-A help from the guys who wanted to get this going as well.

With all that being said, I would like to share some pictures of my new impression:

Image Insert:

64.96KB
Here is the Sarge's 'great-great-great grandson', LCpl. Ewen Munro

Image Insert:

29.58KB
...And of course, his squad leader Cpl. 'Jack' Kirwin

Image Insert:

72.62KB
My 'great-great grandfather' Hector Munro of the Strathbogie Regiment (1644-1650)

Your Most Humble & Obedient Servant,
The Sarge

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."
report to moderator

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - October 30 2008 :  4:44:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Looks good! I hear that WWI is a great choice. Folks that do it love it. But getting all that stuff together must be a nightmare.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Dillon1836
Deerslayer

richfed
USA

July 17 2003

Posted - October 30 2008 :  6:22:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dillon1836's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Looks great, Sarge!

www.alamosentry.com

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - October 30 2008 :  6:59:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Looks like a very interesting project, ...

you can keep "The Change"

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 30 2008 :  8:12:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you guys, I feel that it has been worth the effort so far. I have always had an interest in the Great War from the time I was stationed in Europe and could tour the actual battlefields and forts. It was also during this time that my interest in the English Civil War also flourished, by being within a few hours drive of most battlefields and sites (As you can tell from the last picture, of my ECW impression).

A couple of years ago I was doing some online research for my book, when just for the heck of it I typed in 'World War One Reenacting'. One of the first webpages to show up was that of the Great War Association, which ironically enough, has their own battle site (complete with trenches, shell holes, barbed wire, etc.) here in Pennsylvania... It must have been a sign!!! Anyways, I looked over the list of units, and only found one that did a Black Watch impression (Hey, I wanted to stick with the same regiment I do for French & Indian War... It's a Scottish thang). This unit was of the 6th Battalion, which was a Territorial Army unit (Similar to our National Guard/State Militia), so I figured "close enough", and tried to contact them. Well to make a long story short, the POC never responded to my e-mails or phone calls, so I then figured, "F 'em, I'll start my own unit. Hell I did it before, and even with the same regiment, just 160 years earlier." I already had 5 other guys interested, and we were allowed to register as independents with the GWA until we had the required 8 for full unit status.

So I decided on doing the 1st Battalion, since they were the Regular Army, and it was the only battalion of the Black Watch (as the 42nd RHR was known as, after the Cardwell Reforms of 1881) that was on the Western front non-stop from August of 1914 to April 1919 (when the Treaty of Versailles was signed). I then started research, and aquiring a list of suppliers for uniforms, equipment and weapons. After about 18 months, we were ready for our first event, which was the Spring National Event of 2007; and the rest is history, so to speak...

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

-Or-

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - October 31 2008 :  01:11:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SgtMunro

it was the only battalion of the Black Watch (as the 42nd RHR was known as, after the Cardwell Reforms of 1881) that was on the Western front non-stop from August of 1914 to April 1919 (when the Treaty of Versailles was signed).

I wonder how many of those who were there in 1914 were still alive in 1919?

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 31 2008 :  06:59:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sarge, you must have an absolutely awesome collection of period garb! Lookin' good!

PS - AGEod games has a WWI simulation game coming out very soon.

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 31 2008 :  08:11:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Fitz asked: I wonder how many of those who were there in 1914 were still alive in 1919?

A good question, and as it shouldn't suprise you, I have the answer. During my research into the 1st BN of the Black Watch, I found that there were 1 officer and 29 other ranks who had embarked on 13 August 1914, and had served with the battalion continuously throughout the conflict (not counting wounded evacuated to Great Britain, who later returned to active service)

quote:
Rich noted: Sarge, you must have an absolutely awesome collection of period garb! Lookin' good!

Thank you Sachem Rich, I do have to admit that this hobby is comprised of many facets which are rewarding. I did not include pictures of my RevWar or F&IWar kit, since I could not get them to post.

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

PS: Our Fall Event is next Friday to Sunday (This events theme is the 'Final Push of 1918'), and I will post some photos on this thread as an AAR.

-Or-

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - October 31 2008 :  12:03:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Looks like Cpl. Kirwin has been living the good life and skipping the PT! He needs another Kittanning Trek!

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 31 2008 :  12:04:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by richfed

I believe that the game itself is already out, but the demo won't be available until Nov. 11! Those frenchmen are quite clever; isn't that right, WW?

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 31 2008 :  1:35:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Seamus said: Looks like Cpl. Kirwin has been living the good life and skipping the PT! He needs another Kittanning Trek!

IMHO he's earned a break from the hard-charging, especially after getting OBV back in the black financially, as well as putting together one of the best 250th F&IW events this year. Heck, after age 35 it becomes tougher to keep it off, and I know this from personal experience. I have to work at it every day, especially since it is well known that weeble-shaped cops don't fare too well in street brawls; and I have every intention of making it to retirement in one piece

quote:
Obediah reported: I believe that the game itself is already out, but the demo won't be available until Nov. 11!

November 11th, Armistice Day (as Veterans Day is known 'over there'), that is truly a very appropriate release date for the demo. For those who may be unaware, during the First World War the cease-fire was agreed to take effect at 1100 Hours on November 11th, 1918; or as prosed by historians ever since, "...on the 11th hour, of the 11th day, during the 11th month..."

After the Treaty of Versailles was signed in 1919 offically ending the war, that following November 11th President Wilson decreed it to be the first Armistice Day in the United States. This was later changed to Veterans Day (in the USA), to honor the fallen, as well as those who returned, of all conflicts, before and after the Great War of 1914-1918.

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

-Or-

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - October 31 2008 :  3:25:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sarge says:

November 11th, Armistice Day (as Veterans Day is known 'over there'), that is truly a very appropriate release date for the demo. For those who may be unaware, during the First World War the cease-fire was agreed to take effect at 1100 Hours on November 11th, 1918; or as prosed by historians ever since, "...on the 11th hour, of the 11th day, during the 11th month..."

.....which happens to my mother's hour, day, month and year of birth. I never tire of holding her birth certificate in one hand and her death certificate in my other hand and fondly remembering..........she was a 'take-no-prisoners-tough-as-nails gal who always gave me what I deserved, praise or punishment!

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - October 31 2008 :  11:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I didn't recognize Roger Kirwin in that pic. I really like OBV and want to go back there. There is just too much going on with all the 250th events right now. Maybe in 2010.

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 01 2008 :  11:34:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Fitz said: I didn't recognize Roger Kirwin in that pic. I really like OBV and want to go back there. There is just too much going on with all the 250th events right now. Maybe in 2010.

You know Fitz, Roger might be up for a '255th Braddocks' in 2010. I'll run it past him @ Newville next weekend... After I get a few drinks in him first

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

-Or-

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - November 08 2008 :  01:57:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Obediah

quote:
Originally posted by richfed

I believe that the game itself is already out, but the demo won't be available until Nov. 11! Those frenchmen are quite clever; isn't that right, WW?

Looks like my info wasn't quite correct (and isn't that pathetic--I'm quoting myself!); here's the skinny direct from the AGEOD website:

quote:
The new game from AGEOD "World War One" is now available for preload purchase.

This new pre-order 'Early Bird' service is open to allow you to be the first on the battlefields, one day before everybody else on November 10th.

You will be able to buy and download the game first on AGEOD website, and begin to play ONE DAY BEFORE official launch (which is on Tuesday, 11th November 2008 at 11:00 AM GMT), so for you next Monday November 10th.

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 12 2008 :  8:31:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Here are some pics from this past weekend's Great War Tactical at Newville (PA). Needless to say it was, as noted by the GWA motto, 'A Reenactor's Reenactment'. This year was especailly important since it was also the weekend of Rememberence Sunday, and the year of the 90th anniversary of the armistice.

Image Insert:

42.8KB

French Nieuport 11, flown by the Lafeyette Escadrille (American Volunteer Squadron)

Image Insert:

71.61KB

The men of 'B-Company', 1st Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment)

Image Insert:

54.31KB

An example of early-war uniform, 'Walking-Out Kit' (note: diced hose, dress sporan, khaki 'spats' & glengarry cap)

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

PS: More pics to follow...

-Or-

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - November 13 2008 :  09:13:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That must have been quite a weekend! I have always heard that the WWI events are the most authentic that there are.

Previous Topic: Kyfrontiersman?? Topic Next Topic: Comments from the public.  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.61 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07